PDA

View Full Version : solidworks compatability

neilp
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Does anybody know of a LW to Solidworks file export or how to get geometry from LW into solidworks. I have been asked by a solidworks user to prepare some 3d engineering models that can be pulled into Solidworks - is this possible?

Otterman
10-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I think your gonna need some cad translation software for this one. Polytrans is what i use and its the top dog but it aint cheap either. If u pm me with your private email i might be able to convert it over for you.....providing it aint too big of course!!

neilp
10-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Otterman,

Thanks for the reply, I haven't yet modelled anything as we are basically in the 'talking' stage of the project. Thankyou for your very kind offer though - I may take you up on that one soon if that is OK with you.

In the file conversion would you get 'clean' geometry out at the other end or would we be looking at triangulation issues etc.

Whereabouts in the UK are you, just out of curiosity?

Otterman
10-08-2008, 02:35 AM
honest answer...i dont know. Its a case of having to suck it and see.

My workflow is the other way....i get hold of cad data and convert it into lightwave and it comes in clean.

Best suggestion is email the guy whos written the software..hes bang on and will get back to you pretty soon. Hers his details....

Robert Lansdale, Okino Computer Graphics

[email protected]

Heres a demo link to polytrans ..... http://www.okion.com/conv/demo2.htm

Ps...im in nottingham by the way! And dont mind doing a few tests for you once you Robert has given you some direction.

JamesCurtis
10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
I have the company I do work for save Solidworks/Cad files out in .STL format and use either Polytrans or the plugins SHM_Tools [SHM_STL_Importer and SHM_STL_Exporter] to get them in or out of LW for renders or other embellishment. Works great!

Below is the link to the SHM_Tools plugins. They're free and work fine in the current LW9.5!!

http://www.chromecow.com/downloads/lscript/shm-stl-tools/

Matt
10-14-2008, 06:57 AM
My route from SolidWorks to LightWave goes like this:

SolidWorks > IGES > MOI > OBJ or LWO > LightWave

Much better results than using STL (which I used to do).

POTO2220
10-23-2008, 06:11 AM
Just export a 3DS file. Studio max is a Autodesk program and Solidworks is too....SW can import 3DS files no problem. I just went from the other direction to lw...no problems.

THREEL
10-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Just export a 3DS file. Studio max is a Autodesk program and Solidworks is too....SW can import 3DS files no problem. I just went from the other direction to lw...no problems.

How does it work exactly to get another file type into :lwicon:? I'm working with ver. 8.5, and I only see a couple of file types to import. SW and 3DS are not among them. They are in the export file types, however. I want to go from SW, or DXF to LW 8.5.

tHANX!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

POTO2220
10-23-2008, 07:35 AM
How does it work exactly to get another file type into :lwicon:? I'm working with ver. 8.5, and I only see a couple of file types to import. SW and 3DS are not among them. They are in the export file types, however. I want to go from SW, or DXF to LW 8.5.

tHANX!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

yes , they made it a bit confusing....all you have to do is load a 3DS file....its not imported. open it/load it like you would any lwo. you will see a requester to apply rotation, scale etc when it loads. I've done this a ton the last two weeks...working with IGES files from Solidworks, then converting them to 3DS in Studiomax, then opening in LW....good luck. works like a charm.

THREEL
10-24-2008, 07:09 AM
yes , they made it a bit confusing....all you have to do is load a 3DS file....its not imported. open it/load it like you would any lwo. you will see a requester to apply rotation, scale etc when it loads. I've done this a ton the last two weeks...working with IGES files from Solidworks, then converting them to 3DS in Studiomax, then opening in LW....good luck. works like a charm.

How about ProE files?

lansd
10-24-2008, 10:33 AM
As the main provider of all CAD <--> Lightwave conversion software since my 1994 Lightwave release, let me answer all of the above questions. I know everything about CAD <--> MAX, Maya, LW, XSI as that's been my daily work over the last 21 years as developer of PolyTrans|CAD. These are all very striaghtforward conversion pipelines and the core of what I offer.

1) SolidWorks is a BREP solids modeller and only works on BREPs. BREPs are nothing other than NURBS surfaces with additional "topology" information (curves) that defines which NURBS should be theoretically connected together to form a conceptual solid. SolidWorks does not model on mesh data, which is what comes out of Lightwave. It does, however, hack a semi-hack system which allows you to import meshes as "proxy graphics". I have got this question about 2-3 times per day for the last 12 years, so it is quite common. The ideal system is to get a reverse engineering package (RapidForm, Geomagic, GSI Studio, headus, inSpeck or Metris) to properly sculpt NURBS over top of your mesh data and then the mesh data will be converted into high order (order 4 or more) NURBS surfaces.

2) The cleanest way to move Solidworks and ProE to LW has always been my native SolidWorks and PTC ProE Granite interfaces. These are used by about 3/5 of my entire user base so they always work drop dead perfectly. Just import the native SW files or ProE assembly files and re-export to native Lightwave. Always keep the "Optimize hierarchy" enabled on the import side as this is the black magic which makes conversion of massive CAD files into Lightwave possible. I am the main partner of PTC and their technology, so this uses a real copy of ProE and not any reverse engineered solution or secondary file formats -- the data comes in as native, encrypted ProE data and is untangled by the most recent shipping copy of the core ProE software. For all the forum postings I've read since 1997 that say this conversion pipeline is not possible, it does not work, etc., the people making the postings are just not aware of what I offer and how it works. Refs = http://www.okino.com/proe.htm, http://www.okino.com/solutions/solidworks.htm

And as I point out at the top of my WEB site, I'm online 18x7 for open and long discussions about anything dealing with data translation or 3D graphics in general. I know all the answers so feel free to email me questions even if it may not relate to what I offer in terms of software. I respond to all emails.

Matt
10-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Polytrans can only mesh to triangles right? MOI can mesh to triangles, quads and n-gons.

For that reason alone I prefer it over any conversion software.

lansd
10-24-2008, 10:49 AM
This is where people start to compare apples and oranges without looking under the hood of the car. I license the original SDKs from each major vendor, be it Dassault for CATIA, ProE from PTC, the SolidWorks source code, etc. I don't go through secondary pipelines for the native conversion. All CAD toolkits from the mid 80's always uses triangles -- that is the industry standard. If you want to go to a completely different tessellation then that would be done by the ACIS BREP solids engine, which allows for very fine control over quads - however, that only comes up once or twice a year with my customers. This is only the second time I've heard of Moi, as it is not something mentioned in the circles I work in. It uses the SMLIB toolkit and the new Harmonyware converters, the former which I helped fund and develop in the mid-90's during my IGES + NLIB development work. That had been deprecated after I moved to more direct and native conversion routes in the early 2000's (PTC Granite, Dassault CATIA, etc). The only people who have ever wanted quads are bZrush people since they prefer to model in quads; the user base I deal with would want triangles, as triangles are always the preferred modelling primitive from NURBS, and hence why they are used over quads in the CAD world. If you want quads then you can just invoke my tri to quads geometry processing option.