PDA

View Full Version : Audio clips not rippling with video.

Chris M.
10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
No doubt I'm rusty at this...but can"t seem to get all my audio samples (stacked as clips on the timeline) to ripple when I adjust the video.

I do notice that I cannot check "Lock A/V" with the WAV. files. Is that my problem? If so, why can't I select "Lock A/V "? I'm editing on VT5.

Thanks.

ScorpioProd
10-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Because SpeedEDIT doesn't support locking clips together, beyond clips that were initially a combined A/V clip.

Quiet1onTheSet
10-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Because SpeedEDIT doesn't support locking clips together, beyond clips that were initially a combined A/V clip.

Eugene's correct. An option in this regard is to highlight the clips you wish to lock together, right-click, and select [create]"...SubProject". The selected clips will then be collapsed into a single timeline element which can be moved around where ever you please, maintaining the timing relationship of all those clips intact, with respect to one another.

Be aware, however, that you will most certainly be limited in performing any effects on those collapsed clips (e.g., no "Overlay" function can be engaged on a subproject).

Of course, if you open or perhaps even "drill into" the subproject, you'll then be able to access individual clips or groups of clips to perfom effects thereupon.

Q1

Chris M.
10-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Okay. Bummer. If I render the audio only, will that get me back to locked A/V? Also, If I do this repeatedly, will I lose noticeable audio quality? I know why generational quality was lost in analog but unsure if/why this would be the case in binary.

Thanks, Eugene.

Quiet1onTheSet
10-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Okay. Bummer. If I render the audio only, will that get me back to locked A/V? ...
Yes, you could render out the audio with video, as you seem to suggest, then go from there.

And of course, "Locked A/V" must be understood here, in the contect of "audio that has a video companion" -- that is, audio that originated as part of "an A/V clip".

Why not run a test, and see if you can discern an audible difference between your original audio's sound, and that of a re-rendered instance of the audio (in an uncompressed PCM audio variant) with video in it?

Q1

ScorpioProd
10-07-2008, 03:04 PM
A WAV is uncompressed audio. You can render a WAV over and over and you'll never hear a difference.

BUT, the only way you could link them in SpeedEDIT is if you rendered an A/V clip, and SpeedEDIT does NOT support smart rendering, so unless you are using uncompressed video, you WILL lose quality when rerendering your video.

You now see what I consider to be one of the major weaknesses in SpeedEDIT, the lack of a grouping function for clips. Lack of smart rendering is another weakness.

Quiet1onTheSet
10-07-2008, 03:15 PM
A WAV is uncompressed audio. You can render a WAV over and over and you'll never hear a difference.

BUT, the only way you could link them in SpeedEDIT is if you rendered an A/V clip, and SpeedEDIT does NOT support smart rendering, so unless you are using uncompressed video, you WILL lose quality when rerendering your video.

You now see what I consider to be one of the major weaknesses in SpeedEDIT, the lack of a grouping function for clips. Lack of smart rendering is another weakness.

Hi, ScorpioProd. Thanks for your insights here. Did I commit a technical foul with that "PCM Uncompressed" entry? Just wondering.

Q1
:rolleyes:

ScorpioProd
10-08-2008, 01:27 AM
No, you're correct, a WAV is uncompressed PCM.

Tom Wood
10-08-2008, 06:55 AM
BUT, the only way you could link them in SpeedEDIT is if you rendered an A/V clip...

Except...

If you name the video file and the audio file the exact same name, except for the file extension, and put them both in the same folder, you can drag the video onto the stage and they will be locked together. At least RTVs and WAVs will behave that way, I haven't tried other formats. (Hat tip to Steve Bowie on this one.)

Chris M.
10-08-2008, 10:30 AM
That sounds like the ticket, Tom. Thanks.

Too bad I can't try it out with this project because I've got all my audio files where I want them on the timeline and can't seem to re-name them when they are in use.

Tom Wood
10-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Save a copy of the VT project under a different name. Close VT entirely. Copy the video and audio files into a common folder. Open the copy of the VT project and delete the audio files. Try an 'alt' replace on the video files and see if it will attach the audio files. Dunno, might work, or not, which is why you should try it on a COPY of your VT project. You can also just set up a small version of the project and try it once on the first video to see if it will do it.