PDA

View Full Version : Game Exporters in LW8

fortress
08-03-2003, 10:05 PM
well it has been listed that lw8 will have game exporters
any word on those

pixelmonk
08-04-2003, 03:34 AM
dunno.. but I just read that Softimage struck a deal with Valve for including the XSI PLE version on Half-life 2 when it ships. :|

BNA!
08-04-2003, 12:44 PM
The Doom³ engine simply reads the .lwo format (triangulated of course) - there's no better way to export your work into a game engine :)

meshmaster
08-04-2003, 01:00 PM
and a number of other games, use gmax... free at Discreet's site.

fortress
08-04-2003, 06:04 PM
bna yes i agree that having native lwo support is great
right now the unreal engine has native lwo support as well for there static meshs or world objects.

most game engine however have different formats for there animation.

there is currently only one import export plugin that i know of for LW that does ut models and as well as quake models
this includes animation info.

there are a few bugs with it but they can be easly over come.

the real question i have is what exporters are going to be included with LW8 i have heard unreal and lithtech but not the 3rd one yet.

also why is that LW is always the last to get support for game engines.

here is a line from a dev chat with the guys from value

18:09] <valve|morello> For artists, we currently have exporters for XSI, 3dsmax and Maya

I just hope that lw will start getting more tools for the most common engines out there not that is that far behind now.

Gollum
08-05-2003, 05:52 AM
Just read that Valve log too. Am a bit dissapointed that LW didn't even get mentioned, it's as if we don't exist or something. UT and D3 have support for static LW meshes which is great, but the later won't be out until sometime next year and UT is pretty much multiplayer only and ... well, a matter of taste. Animation export options would also be really important IMO, hope NT is working closer with game developers on this for LW8, especially since LW8 shapes up to have really awesome animation tools and it would be a shame not to put them to use.

This whole HL2 deal is a huge promotion push for XSI, just as Maya PLE with UT2k3 was for Alias. Discreet has the free gmax which is pretty popular. NT needs to do something similar in the future if they want to remain competitive inthe gaming market. Who knows, maybe they have something big in the pipe for later this year... ;)

PaQ
08-05-2003, 07:32 PM
... just dreaming about a renderware exporter too (with bones, morph, shaders, nmaps, vertex painting etc)