PDA

View Full Version : A little object help needed

DelendaMaximus
10-07-2008, 07:42 AM
I've just returned to Lightwave land after a goodly absence and while I remember some stuff, I've forgotten too much and need to ask for some basic assistance.

I've created a text character with logo, modified it and finally have gotten it to where I want the shape to be, and now it is missing both the front and back faces (much like a open ended tube). How do I add the surfaces on the ends?

Thanks,
BB

flakester
10-07-2008, 08:02 AM
First off, make sure that they are not inverted by seeing if you can select them. If you can select them but not see them - press 'f' when they are selcted, this should flip them.

If they really do not exist [now there's a philosiphy discourse in the waiting!], select every vertex in a clockwise order on one of the open ends [or select two adjacent ones and goto view > selection > select loop] and press 'p'.

Hope that goes some way to helping.

flakester.

BeeVee
10-07-2008, 08:34 AM
You can do as Flakester suggests, but faster is to look at the object from the side and simply lasso select all the front points and hit p (the polygon-making facility has been seriously upgraded since about 8.3 I think).

B

flakester
10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
You can do as Flakester suggests, but faster is to look at the object from the side and simply lasso select all the front points and hit p (the polygon-making facility has been seriously upgraded since about 8.3 I think).

Dang. I knew those release notes were there for a reason! :p

From the moment I picked them up, to the time I put them them down; I was absolutely enthralled.
One day I intend reading them.

^joke!!

Good info BV.

flakester.

BeeVee
10-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Excellent Groucho quote too :D

B

DelendaMaximus
10-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Thanks Guys - This helps a great deal.

I just knew that it was something easy, just couldn't think of what it was.

BTW - I'm on version 8.0.1, is it worth it to move to version 9?

flakester
10-07-2008, 09:03 AM
In my honest and very humble opinion - !YES! :D

Stability and render speed improvements alone will be worth it. Not to mention all the other goodness, like excellent global illumination and final gather additions, nodal wonders, and cake.

ok, the cake is a lie.

But the rest is worth it. :thumbsup:

flakester.

BeeVee
10-07-2008, 09:05 AM
It's certainly worth moving to 8.5 since it's a free update, however I would say that it was definitely worth moving to 9 - there have been many, many major improvements over 8 (my personal favourites: node editor, cameras, lights, radiosity, FiberFX but there are many others).

B