PDA

View Full Version : Who uses SolidWorks?

THREEL
10-07-2008, 06:19 AM
Anybody here use SolidWorks?

I have an AD in CAD from a local community college, but that was back in the early 90's, before 3D was the big thing. Now, it seems like SolidWorks is one of the industry standards in my "neck of the woods".

Also, does anyone know of an actual working demo of SW?

tHANX!

tHREEL, but you can me AL.

calilifestyle
10-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Nope DDS doesn't offer any demos. Student versions are to expensive. If you can use Auto/cad you shouldn't have a problem with Solidworks. The Solidworks comes with a lot of tuts that can get you up and running in a week.

calilifestyle
10-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Sorry i meant to say student versions aren't to expensive

THREEL
10-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Sorry i meant to say student versions aren't to expensive

tHANX, calilifestyle!

I use AutoCAD 2000i. I haven't been a student for quite a while, but maybe... I can still get the educational version, someday.

Seems like SolidWorks is used a lot in this area.

AL

borkus
10-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Just as an extra option, this is a program that my work decided to go with, after having some mixed impressions of Solidworks. It is far from being as comprehensive and all-encompassing as Solidworks, but has many features that would fit most people's needs.

Alibre, 3d cad (http://www.alibre.com/)

There is a free demo version. And different versions for purchase. I don't get to play with it much at work. I downloaded the demo, but didn't have time to dig much into it. Was cutting into lightwave and zbrush time... But, the engineer at work loves it over Solidworks. Again, I have not touched either of these much. This is just based on his opinions of the two.

calilifestyle
10-08-2008, 05:25 PM
ever 2 months go engineer stops by and we go over any kind of problems we are having and features that may improve our work flow. I'll ask them if there's any demos available. If anything maybe email them over at goengineer.com see if you can get a hold of a copy.

THREEL
10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
ever 2 months go engineer stops by and we go over any kind of problems we are having and features that may improve our work flow. I'll ask them if there's any demos available. If anything maybe email them over at goengineer.com see if you can get a hold of a copy.

Cool! The reason I'm asking about SolidWorks is when a job opp. for CAD becomes available in my surrounding location, they usually want you to know SolidWorks. When I got my degree, back in the early 90s, most companies required knowledge of AutoCAD. 3d wasn't as big as it is now, even though I kept hinting that we should be heading in that direction. Go figure. :stumped:

tHANX!

AL