PDA

View Full Version : Mudbox 2009 -

RedBull
10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Well it seems David has released the latest demo for Mudbox 2009..

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/mform?siteID=123112&id=10707843

Enjoy

Nicolas Jordan
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
I bought Mudbox 1.0 Basic when it came out but I dont' make money sculpting so as nice as Mudbox 2009 is I can't justify even upgrading at the $480 cdn price. Also remembering it's now owned by Autodesk that will mean forking over $400 every year to keep the software up to date. I am playing with the trial version and I can't believe how far it's come compared to version 1.0! 3D Coat might be a better option for me since I am not much of a hardcore sculpter and need something more for painting anyway. I just wish I could come up with a reason to justify a Mudbox 2009 purchase.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the review.

Modo serves my sculpting needs for now (I think the vector displacement is underrated) but I might soon invest in an industrial strength sculpting package like Zbrush or MB2009.

The obvious obnoxious question: Neverko, now that you have tried 2009 would you still go with Zbrush?

IMI
10-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Oh the demo's been released? Must have happened today, 'cause I checked just yesterday.
Cool - I can't wait to give it a go!

IMI
10-08-2008, 02:37 AM
Mudbox is a clear winner in terms of navigation as it uses industry standard controls. ZBrush is a bit more finicky for now (new navigation and perspective viewport should be coming shortly), but since I'm used to it, it doesn't bother me. It's a bit odd to begin with though, but I don't think it is bad, just different.

I like Mudbox's navigation, since, as you say, it's industry standard, but really the only thing I see over Zbrush is being able to zoom in easily. For some reason my Wacom zoom strip thingy won't work in ZB, and I have to use my numeric keypad for it. Really, I'd just as soon prefer to be able to use a button on my pen along with a key... anything. Or even the zoom wheel on the mouse would be good.
I know it sounds like a trivial complaint, but that's really the only complaint I have with ZBrush. And, it's a HUGE one, far as I'm concerned - drives me nuts and try as I may I can't get around it. And for some reason I can't map the numeric keypad + and - to the programmable keys on my G11. if I could do that all would be well, because they're on the left, which is where I really need those keys to be.
I'd hate to know how much time in ZB I've wasted trying to solve my Zoom woes. ;)

I haven't used Mudbox enough to determine if I would rather have Mudbox instead of ZBrush. But my first impression is that I would miss too many things from ZBrush.

:agree:
Aside from the zoom thing again. ;)

If you have a weak graphics card but a powerful CPU you will get most performance from ZBrush as it multithreads pretty nicely. It peaks all 4 cores in my PC when sculpting. And there was quite a noticeable difference in going from a dual core to a quad core. The graphics card is pretty irrelevant for ZBrush use.

:agree:
Yeah, ZB is faster at sculpting, no doubt. Smoother too, but I won't claim to be a Mudbox expert. Not after an hour or so. ;). The 8800 GTS really does nicely in Mudbox 2009 though.

I've only been messing with it for maybe an hour and a half. FWIW, my first impression is that it's pretty nice. Yeah, that's my insightful review. ;)
I haven't yet learned how to export normal maps or displacement maps or textures though. For me, that's going to be the real test. I'm hoping to find time this weekend for learning that.
One thing that bothers me is that I have my Wacom Intuos 3 set up just as I like it, and it works for me in everything I do. Turns out Mudbox wants me to have it all set at default settings, so I have to either do that or learn how to force Mudbox to cooperate with my plans for how I want it set up. Hopefully that stuff is customizable.