PDA

View Full Version : Vista and 64bit

Jockomo
10-06-2008, 08:39 AM
I'm curious to know how people feel currently about the stability of Vista with the current release of lightwave and the 32bit vs 64bit switch.

I'm still using XP 32bit and have been waiting for the issues such as missing plugins and bugs to clear up some before upgrading.

With a little more ram my systems will be easily be able to handle it; but is the benefit in render speed and performance worth the time and money to upgrade?

cc3d
10-06-2008, 10:00 AM
I've been running Vista 64 Ultimate for about a year now. Benefits? More RAM is addressable, so you can break the 4gb (3+gb) barrier. More RAM always helps. Faster? More RAM helps things move along, can't tell if that's the only contributor to increased rendering speed. It's not a huge increase in speed if any.

Very little issues with plugin compatibility, really none that I can think of.

safetyman
10-07-2008, 07:55 AM
I have Vista Home Premium 64 and LW works wonderfully -- no issues. I don't use a lot of plugins, but I'm seeing more and more 64-bit versions being put out there. The good news is, if you absolutely have to use 32-bit plugins, you can just launch the 32-bit version of LW on the same system.

jasonwestmas
10-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I agree with the above. You'll get a more streamlined experience with Vista64, less hangups. Plus you can run most everything you would on XP-32.

jasonwestmas
10-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I have to note however that you really should read up on how well your hardware works with Vista. In the beginning MS was encouraging everybody under the sun to upgrade without definate evidence that their machine would work well with Vista. In other words I wouldn't use a pre-vista system that was only intended to run windows XP. Vista tends to be pretty taxing on the older machines 64-bit or not.

Titus
10-07-2008, 11:53 AM
Ok, you have two threads opened, which is the good one?

Quiet1onTheSet
10-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Vista x64 has been incredibly stable for me and I can only recommend it.If I will only ignore the constantly-flashing hard drive lamp activity, I would have to concede that the 8GB, 1066MHz FSB, nVidia 8600 GS laden, Vista 64-bit Ultimate system here is giving me respectable performance, once I shoved an 8 GB "ReadyBoost-compatible" USB flash drive up its back-pane.

Thanks again all, for your insights, rants, and the like, in another Vista-related thread.

Q1
:D