PDA

View Full Version : Select New Employees CAREFULLY!!!

jin choung
02-24-2003, 04:34 AM
howdy fellows,

regarding the new hiring that newtek has started to do... i just wanted to exhort newtek to hire these new developers CAREFULLY!

i hear that it is PROFOUNDLY DIFFICULT to gauge the ability of PROGRAMMERS. and especially if they are to determine the features, functionality and implementation - indeed the future - of everyone's favorite 3d app, they need a DEPTH and BREADTH of understanding that would make them rare commodities indeed.

facades and veneers of knowledge and wisdom are a dime a dozen - especially in interviews. but true understanding and passion is really really tough to find.

and the fact that their range must encompass traditional non rt graphics rendering technology, the latest and greatest of RT gaming technology (opengl/dx)(with the vision to see how these will eventually converge) as well as keep up with the demands of motion picture technology. yikes. literally, CG has to be not only their job, but their HOBBY! they've gotta read SIGGRAPH papers FOR FUN!!!

it is a given that they should be fans of lw. but they should also be familiar with MANY (if not all) other 3d apps.

they should be able to identify lw's unique charms and strengths - but they should also be able to list its weaknesses and clunkiness.

a good litmus test would be to print out the scores of suggestions that i've made in the past. if they emphatically agree with most - ah hell, let's face it - ALL of them, they are worthy to carry the torch of lw development.

:)

jin

ToonShady
02-24-2003, 10:59 AM
Hehehe, Jiin, are you serious? I think guys at NT and Lux would get a good crack out of this. But then again, if that will ever be the case, then LW would be lightyears ahead of anything, or atleast lightyears from the current incarnatioin. And we wouldn't be whinin and bitchin.

pixelmonk
02-24-2003, 12:24 PM
Hahah yeah that is funny. Choosing a good worker (programmer/developer in this case) is a no-brainer. I doubt any company would purposely hire a loser. Thanks for the chuckle!

jin choung
02-24-2003, 01:33 PM
huh?

nobody INTENTIONALLY hires incompetent wannabe poseurs....

but they nonetheless get hired!!! either because they are incredibly gifted shysters who can talk their way into anything or the ones who are hiring can't tell fake from the real thing.

my post is merely an exhortation for caution.

for if indeed my guess that most of the original developers have been scrubbed and we're starting from scratch, we need a STRONG starting line up that really knows what the F___ they're doing - along with how they're gonna do it and an understanding of why to boot.

jin

pixelmonk
02-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by jin choung
huh?

nobody INTENTIONALLY hires incompetent wannabe poseurs....

but they nonetheless get hired!!! either because they are incredibly gifted shysters who can talk their way into anything or the ones who are hiring can't tell fake from the real thing.

my post is merely an exhortation for caution.

for if indeed my guess that most of the original developers have been scrubbed and we're starting from scratch, we need a STRONG starting line up that really knows what the F___ they're doing - along with how they're gonna do it and an understanding of why to boot.

jin

Still funny... I'm guessing Newtek is on the ball and it shouldn't be a concern. They've been around long enough to know the criteria for hiring a developer that fits their model. It's not like an HR person is the sole decision maker on who gets hired as a developer in a place like that. On top of that, they haven't lost everyone, so it's not like they'll have all newbies looking at lines of code they aren't familiar with. Newtek was known for hiring third party developers, even on a temp basis, to help with development. That's how SasLite, MotionMixer, Spreadsheet, and NUMEROUS others were included in previous versions of LW. I'm an outsider too, so I don't know if they're still using that model for developing the next gen LW.

Tom Winnicki
02-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Jin, I think (have a gut feeling) you're right about NT having scrubbed most of the original LW developers. Old C just isn't powerful enough for today's monster applications so either learn OO programming or leave. It's a very small adjustment which I wouldn't understand why someone wouldn't want to make, but that's just another gut feeling. YEAH EVERYBODY, LET'S SPECULATE WILDLY!

By reading your posts here and articles on your website I'm guessing that you took some higher writing courses (another speculation). If that's the case then why in the heck-ho don't you use proper capitalization? You ought to be shot for this [wink wink here]. By the way, you haven't written any articles lately. Out of ideas? How about an article about the possible upcoming war or my wild idea of 'integrating' all races and abandoning all religions and other similar ideals in hope to abolish political and national (which are highly prejudice and racist imo) boundaries. How did all that nonsense came into being in the first place?

Well, that has turned into a personal post but what the heck eh? Back to LW.

jin choung
02-24-2003, 08:21 PM
hey tom,

actually, sometimes i find your writing difficult to decipher - that is, i can't QUITE tell which parts are serious and which are sarcastic....

if you want to take issue with my stance on whatever, you needn't feel that you have to dance around it. go right out and rip into me. freedom of expression and all that... and you'll find that i'm rather thick skinned and reasonable.

i'm very open to the fact that on almost every topic that i have an opinion on, i could well and truly be quite wrong.

as for proper capitalization - i'm just using the web convention of foregoing proper capitals for the sake of speed. gripe if you must but i merely find it convenient.

if you haven't noticed, i use caps strictly for EMPHASIS. alas, that is a habit that stuck with me from american comic books.

as for articles, look here:

http://jinchoung.blogspot.com/

using blogging is a lot easier to update than my website... though i really should update my website to at least notify people of my blogspot.

hmmmm....

outcome to war: 1. first, i believe that we're already beyond the point of no return. i'm pretty sure there WILL be a war. bush has too much invested in it and he'd be committing political suicide to back down. it's stupid of him to set up the situation so that going to war or not hangs not on the merits of war but his own career but there you have it. 2. it should be quick and overwhelming. saddam won't see what hit him. as soon as we disrupt the chain of command, every iraqi soldier under the sun is gonna start surrendering. because of that, i don't think NBC (nuke, bio, chem) will come into play - all the would be perps would be dead or surrendering.

my take on the rightness of war - i'm pretty sure that we're going into this war for WRONG or MADE UP reasons. BUT, be that as it may, the fact that the iraqi people would directly benefit from the war - it may ultimately serve a good purpose. even if you asked the iraqi's whether they would risk a brief war that would forever rid them of oppression or continue under it 'in peace' - i'm not sure THEY would overwhelmingly vote for peace. i've heard interviews with iraqis in the states that take exactly this position. they see this as a promising opportunity where world intervention and attention will liberate them.

as for integrating all races and getting rid of all religions... err, you'd need a pretty big evil fascist/dictatorial government to carry that out dontcha think?

i think integrating races and 'cross breeding' is eventual and inevitable. america will probably be a very different looking place in several hundred years (if it's still around that is).

for religion, i don't think that that will ever go away. it seems that it is an essential human urge. and, to top it all off, it is singularly unimpeachable because for the faithful, there is nothing that can be said that will dissuade belief. if it is not illogical, it is alogical... or, as believers would probably counter, superlogical.

but it seems to me that ELIMINATING DIFFERENCE is a less sophisticated, social, indeed less EVOLVED way of dealing with the issue than learning to embrace all as equals.

as for how these came about - well, variation of species would account for race. i would imagine religion springs from that which is unknown. if you're a caveman, there's a lot of scary *** crap in the world and the human instinct to create pattern and meaning would probably come up with god to explain it.

some things we've come to grips with like the sun's passage across the sky and we no longer need apollo to explain it. but in other matters like what happens to us and our loved ones after we die - in stuff like that, we're just as much in the dark now as we've ever been. and if people are drawn toward the warm glow of religion in that darkness... can ya blame them?

and of course, later in history, you get religion becoming a very effective means of exerting power over the masses.

jin

hrgiger
02-24-2003, 08:53 PM
It's amazing how quickly these threads turn to other matters...:p

ToonShady
02-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Well I rather enjoy Jin's classy english speech, even though I wish I learn better english. Makes good reading material I think. And why the heck not. Sometimes it's pretty stale in the forums.

jin choung
02-24-2003, 10:16 PM
sorry hr... but tom wanted answers so i gave em answers. alas, for those who've known me, i can go off at tangents at a drop of a hat - if i'm downright goaded into it... i'm gone!

and thanks ts. it's strange how most people, including me, end up writing differently than they speak.

i think i would do considerably better with the ladies if i could just type at them.... :(

jin

hrgiger
02-24-2003, 10:21 PM
Oh, I wasn't complaining Jin, just making an observation.

Chris S. (Fez)
02-24-2003, 10:31 PM
I don't think Newtek has a problem finding competent programmers. I think they have a problem finding loyal programmers. I have mentioned this before...I find it disturbing that Newtek can't keep talented programmers in the fold. Just imagine if all the time and sweat spent developing Project Messiah and whatever the hell they are developing at Luxology went into developing Lightwave!

pixelmonk
02-25-2003, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Chris S. (Fez)
I don't think Newtek has a problem finding competent programmers. I think they have a problem finding loyal programmers. I have mentioned this before...I find it disturbing that Newtek can't keep talented programmers in the fold. Just imagine if all the time and sweat spent developing Project Messiah and whatever the hell they are developing at Luxology went into developing Lightwave!

Hahaha.. I wouldn't even bring up PMG. Messiah was seemingly vaporware for over a year and the "plugin" worked half-a$$ed in LW for a long time. They (PMG) left Newtek before 6.5 and look how far Lightwave has come without them. They also blamed their plugin's problems on Newtek. This is coming from core competent Lightwave developers who once worked at Newtek?

As for the whole Lux thing, I still haven't seen anything on their page that leads me to believe they're doing anything more than just reporting Lightwave happenings, providing preset downloads and hosting a gallery. That's a pretty sad use of brain power if that's all they're doing. Hell... I could host a website like that. It's like showing a dream team for baseball, soccer or football but not having them play a single game. Yeah, the stats look impressive, but when do we see them play?

Hervé
02-25-2003, 04:25 AM
do the people at Luxology even work at all , besides claiming stuff here and there...? and promoting LW...?

M. Peebler, look the damage you've made with all those threads talking of LW's future....

ah well, back to work....

The ripper
02-25-2003, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Hervé
do the people at Luxology even work at all , besides claiming stuff here and there...? and promoting LW...?

M. Peebler, look the damage you've made with all those threads talking of LW's future....

ah well, back to work....

Do the people who developed LightWave and now has founded Lux work?!?! Is it a joke?!?

Wait and see... you'll probably be very surprised!!!

Hervé
02-25-2003, 04:54 AM
I know who they are.....

(yes it's a joke)

let's wait and see.....!!!

pixelmonk
02-25-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by The ripper
Do the people who developed LightWave and now has founded Lux work?!?! Is it a joke?!?

Wait and see... you'll probably be very surprised!!!

I agree.. we'll be surprised. Also, Brad has done a lot for the community by raising the Lightwave flag and marching around the world. I went to a Character Animation class in Orlando Fl a couple years ago and he was one of the instructors. It was a very good session. I've seen him "work it" at a 3D Design Conference about 3 years ago. He's professional, knows Lightwave, loves Lightwave. Regardless of where he works, and where the development team "lives", we'll get a nice surprise. Don't forget, we have people like Chuck, William, and a few other Newtekians running around like crazy people, foaming at the mouth, promoting Lightwave. They wouldn't be doing that if the product was dead or didn't have a strong development team.

Freak
02-26-2003, 04:41 PM
Jeff Wrote: Also, Brad has done a lot for the community by raising the Lightwave flag.

Sorry, did i miss something?
Leaving NT, And it's staff and customers in the lurch?

Claiming to be the Almighty ruler of LW.
Claiming to be President of LW Development, on CG Channel and Nvida.com & 3D world.

Pretending to be a friend of LW users...
Pretending to provide helpfull information to NT

Lying and mouthing off about stuff you have no right too..
Claiming to be making training materials for LW

Trying to confuse and destabilize the LW user base.
to try and gain more power.

Art & Science of 3D..... Bwhahahahahah...

Lyeology - The EGO and Lies of Brad Peebler
Suxology - The Art and Science of my EGO.

Sorry, but we need way less people like GOD, or King or President peebler (whatever he's royal title is today)
trying to screw it's long time users......
Bring on Mecca...... So i may laugh as they go Bankrupt.

Meanwhile i'll go and upload some presets to Lux.....
Because they give me cool points, so i'll be on the Beta test team
in no time.... And i'll be really cool too..... special even!

pixelmonk
02-26-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Freak
Jeff Wrote: Also, Brad has done a lot for the community by raising the Lightwave flag.

Sorry, did i miss something?
Leaving NT, And it's staff and customers in the lurch?

-snipped from boredom_

Lyeology - The EGO and Lies of Brad Peebler
Suxology - The Art and Science of my EGO.
-snipped again.. yawn_

Meanwhile i'll go and upload some presets to Lux.....
Because they give me cool points, so i'll be on the Beta test team
in no time.... And i'll be really cool too..... special even!

People leave companies.. big FREAKn deal? By a person leaving, how did they leave their customers in the lurch? How was the staff affected? Lightwave is still here. Newtek is still here. Tell me again how he left everyone in the lurch? Did you lose sleep when you heard he left? He's still providing support to the LW customer base, he's just wearing a different jersey. The fact is you don't know the whole picture.. neither do I.

Sooo, you go bad mouthing Luxology and use some childish names to represent them, yet you obviously have a profile on their site and wish to upload presets to their site? Isn't that a bit two-faced and childish? On top of that you feel that your presets will give you the golden key to some beta that'll be the ultimate in coolness? Someone's smoking something.....

Freak
02-27-2003, 02:26 AM
Gee don't cry Jeff.....

Other people are entitled to their opinions too...
Even when they don't agree with you!

How was the staff affected?
You can't be serious can you? (groan)

No! your right i can't see how taking half a development team,
with you could destabalize, the current and former staff relationships and development team... (SARCASM)

I'm sure Chuck and the gang are over the moon about answering
"Who makes Lightwave, because i just read" .........
questions too.... (MORE SARCASM)

I'm sure these kinds of doubts and rumours, will do wonders for LW future sales. (if NT was a publically listed company, it would be bankrupt by now)

I'm sure NT would not have to hire a new team if a certain former staff member, didn't decide to take the bat and ball home either.
But no your right, it's just helped make LW and it's users happier.

Let us all sing and praise Luxology for all their wonderfull gifts..
(SARSCASM) I decided to put that in large letters, because you seem to have a hard time finding it otherwise...

As for Luxology, i'm aware of all of the facts i need to be...
And i have heard parts of the story from both horses mouths.
Wrong has been done on boths sides, but two wrongs don't make it right or the userbase happy!

PS.. The presets paragraph was an attempt at humour too...
But some people, take themselves (and me) way too seriously to notice. But i found it overly funny, that you thought i was serious...

I won't be uploading or supporting anything to do with Lux.
If i was to upload presets, it would be to Preset Central...
as it's run by a talented LW user, who's just trying to support himself and community. Unlike Luxology.
And i'd rather support the people, who support me...

Childish names? Poo Poo Head.... i'd say....

Stating that i believe that someone has an Ego....
is calling a spade a spade, and not really being childish.... IMO.
However it's used in exaggaration to make my point.
(And i also know it REALLY annoys him) ;)

Just because i believe someone has an Ego or not.
doesn't matter, i'm entitled to my opinion.
I don't think it even matters if someone does have an Ego..
(It's a healthy thing to have)
But i do question if the power is being used for good or evil!

Thanks for taking me way too seriously! It made my day!

jin choung
02-27-2003, 02:58 AM
hey freak,

yah, sometimes SARCASM is very difficult to decipher in text... i thought you were being sarcastic but i can see how others got confused....

generally, i find that if your making a statement that matters, it's best to either avoid sarcasm unless your damn sure it will read. or just use "(SARCASM)"....

jin

Freak
02-27-2003, 04:53 AM
Yeah, thanks Jin.....

Yeah i'm aware of that rule.... As much of a pain as it is.
But it doesn't stop me from trying to use it, in the odd post... :)

I guess i'll be a little more careful who i direct towards though.
It takes the fun out of it, when you have to spell it out all the time.

I'm by nature a person who makes fun of everyone and everything, but has no malice towards my targets.
It's known colloquially as "taking the piss"

I often make satirical and sarcastic comments, and observations,
It's just me.... Like it or hate it (and i'm not always fond of it myself) it's not going change in a hurry....

Seriously, even when i'm serious i'm not serious..... :)
Just think of me as a non-cel Simpsons character... :)

faulknermano
02-27-2003, 05:38 AM

(SARSCASM) I decided to put that in large letters, because you seem to have a hard time finding it otherwise...

freak: it's obvious you were sarcastic. but it doesnt mean people should automatically treat it as non-serious or lightheartedly. a joke is different from sarcasm, and you were sarcastic (or sarcastically joking, but sarcastic nevertheless). if i had felt strongly about something and you were sarcastically opposed to it, i will go ballistic on you. :D

pixelmonk
02-27-2003, 05:52 AM
Gee don't cry Jeff.....

>Who's crying over here? Certainly not me. I have a job, I have a decent toolset, and I have a clue on how to use it. I'm not the one jacking up the WAAAAH factor.

Other people are entitled to their opinions too...

> Then let me voice mine and let it be.

How was the staff affected?
You can't be serious can you? (groan)

> Why are you still repeating the question without giving facts? I bought another upgrade to LW over the past 4 months and service was extremely fast for getting a serial number. The same went for the Toaster2 I bought. If you're having problems with Newtek support, you need to email them in person instead of pretending they have problems. This of course if you're really concerned and aren't just one of those who cry for the waaaah factor.

No! your right i can't see how taking half a development team,
with you could destabalize, the current and former staff relationships and development team... (SARCASM)

>Of course you can't see what's going on. You don't work at Newtek or Luxology. It's a shame how you gather around with the smoking guy from the X-Files and try to debate conspiracy theories.

'm sure Chuck and the gang are over the moon about answering
"Who makes Lightwave, because i just read" .........
questions too.... (MORE SARCASM)

>Jesus.. then let it be.

I'm sure these kinds of doubts and rumours, will do wonders for LW future sales. (if NT was a publically listed company, it would be bankrupt by now)

>Again.. speculation on your part. Also, it doesn't look like you're in the stock market too much with that blind comment about "publically listed companies". Carry on.

I'm sure NT would not have to hire a new team if a certain former staff member, didn't decide to take the bat and ball home either.
But no your right, it's just helped make LW and it's users happier.

>Again.. how do you know what the former staff and development members are doing. BINGO.. Y O U D O N ' T.

>Yeah.. you can call it sarcasm while others may think it as more of a childish rant that's already run its course. You interpret your own actions as you see fit.

As for Luxology, i'm aware of all of the facts i need to be...
And i have heard parts of the story from both horses mouths.
Wrong has been done on boths sides, but two wrongs don't make it right or the userbase happy!

>Yeah both sides have cast some doubt. To comfortably say you know all of the facts, then you're ignorant. Only a few (very few) know what's going on (REALLY going on) at the moment and for whatever reason, they're keeping this to themselves. Sometimes that's the best course of action. If I were at Newtek I sure as hell wouldn't want to be feeding anyone contributing or starting a thread like this any more fuel. I'm not sure how the whole "two wrongs" thing even fits here. I'm happy as a user of Lightwave. So much so I bought an upgrade back in September and have put in for 2 more upgrades for another site I work at. Other users are happy. Studios are happy.. many are even providing training as a side job. Some could say the money is tight so they're doing this as a side job. Others would contend they know there's money to be made in e-learning, regardless of their current financial situation. Another way to look at is, studios providing e-learning tools do it in the hopes that some of the skills they teach will end up on someone's demo tape, as there's more crap "3D" and "animation" schools popping up left and right. Granted, there's some unhappy LW users. There always has been. THere always will be. If it makes you unhappy... leave it. Go elsewhere. Only Newtek employees are grafted to a copy of Lightwave... you aren't.

PS.. The presets paragraph was an attempt at humour too...
But some people, take themselves (and me) way too seriously to notice. But i found it overly funny, that you thought i was serious...

> Because you try to go from making a valid point, to ranting, to being childish to sarcasm to joking all in one post?

I won't be uploading or supporting anything to do with Lux.
If i was to upload presets, it would be to Preset Central...
as it's run by a talented LW user, who's just trying to support himself and community. Unlike Luxology.
And i'd rather support the people, who support me...

>Oh ye of little knowledge. *Tisk tisk* Soon grasshoppper... soon.

Stating that i believe that someone has an Ego....
is calling a spade a spade, and not really being childish.... IMO.
However it's used in exaggaration to make my point.
(And i also know it REALLY annoys him) ;)

>Egos come and go. Most with big ones are usually boring and cry easy.

Thanks for taking me way too seriously! It made my day!

>I'm glad to be of service. Anything that helps you through the day.

pixelmonk
02-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by faulknermano
freak: it's obvious you were sarcastic. but it doesnt mean people should automatically treat it as non-serious or lightheartedly. a joke is different from sarcasm, and you were sarcastic (or sarcastically joking, but sarcastic nevertheless). if i had felt strongly about something and you were sarcastically opposed to it, i will go ballistic on you. :D

For me, I'm just sick of the topic all together. Everyone pretends they know what's going on and who screwed who and what the future holds. 97% of us don't know what going on and the other 3% aren't talking (which is smart, IMO).

:D

Freak
02-27-2003, 08:29 AM
faulknermano: You will have to tell me some stuff your passionate
about so i may "take the piss" and watch you go ballistic. :)
No guns or tanks though..... :) I respect people who stand up for what they believe in, always! Glad to see you saw some sarcasm
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeff Wrote: Again.. speculation on your part. Also, it doesn't look like you're in the stock market too much with that blind comment about "publically listed companies". Carry on.

HAhahaahahaAH AHAhaahahahah
Wow you should be the posterchild for incorrect...
Again, so amusing....... How wrong can one persons speculation can be? It's hilarious how you can be so dumb lucky. (no offence meant) really it's quite spooky...

Jeff wrote: Because you try to go from making a valid point, to ranting, to being childish to sarcasm to joking all in one post?

Again..... Dumb Spooky Lucky!.....Give the man a gold star... That's actually the whole idea!... (well done)

You hit the nail on the head, I'm trying to be provocative, amusing, informative and a little off the wall, truthful without being nasty. REAL without malicious intent
It's a code within the riddle..usually i'm only interested in engaging in people who are capable of working it out.

You must not take everything literally, or seriously...
At the same time, you should not assume i'm always joking either. Ballance is always the key.

Jeff wrote:>Oh ye of little knowledge. *Tisk tisk* Soon grasshoppper... soon.

Hahaha...... Said the black pot to mr kettle.......
soon is great word, and so is never. You can't predict my future...

But then you can't even understand the humour, in which most others managed to (even if only just) :)

But actually i just read another post, (of yours) where you also seemed to miss the joke too... So i guess it's not just me afterall...

I hope Peace, Love, Sex, Drugs and Violence. find you all..... :)
(well okay just me then) Nuff Said.... I've bored myself yet again.
And it's now 18hrs and 27 minutes, since i last saw my bed.
(sweeet, soft, pilloooooooo..w) fade to black...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The trick is to always keep them guessing, and only show your wisdom when they aren't looking. - That Freaky Guy - 2003.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pixelmonk
02-27-2003, 08:37 AM

You must not take everything literally, or seriously...
At the same time, you should not assume i'm always joking either. Ballance is always the key.

Jeff wrote:>Oh ye of little knowledge. *Tisk tisk* Soon grasshoppper... soon.

Hahaha...... Said the black pot to mr kettle.......
soon is great word, and so is never. You can't predict my future...

I never stated I could predict your future. Where in my text did you come up with that? Put words in my mouth that are believeable. As for balance.. you jump from one mode to another so you seemingly need balance as something isn't working quite right. I shouldn't have to sit there and determine how you'll act or interpret anything. I already have a job.

Dude.. you're boring. I'm done with this thread. You're the winner. Yay!!!!! buh bye!! :D

faulknermano
02-27-2003, 09:01 AM
You hit the nail on the head, I'm trying to be provocative, amusing, informative and a little off the wall, truthful without being nasty. REAL without malicious intent
It's a code within the riddle..usually i'm only interested in engaging in people who are capable of working it out.

no offense intended, really, but you're not all that informative.. you're not nasty (at least by strict definitions), a little off the wall: yes, truthful to at least you personality, but not in more absolute terms.. and i can understand if some find you amusing. :)

now, i'm not a riddler, and this aint my war, so i'll just say it straight: i think it's a bit haughty for you to say that "(you're) only intersted in enganing in people who are capabl;e of working it out". i guess it's your prerogative.. but, i guess i feel with jeff: i really have no time for these things. it's seems to you a word play or some kind of personality circus.. and it might resound well on another topic but given the context of all the debates that have come and gone (and will most likely come back) i dont find it sitting well with me.

oh well... another day in the forums i guess. :rolleyes:

Freak
02-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Hmmm, No offence taken Lernie... (It's impossible to offend me)
Funnily enough, it was not meant to be a war.

Just an observation , that the almighty ruler may not be the saviour that so many people would like to believe...

That was the point, i'm sick of seeing How good Luxology is,
when in reality, they have not done anything except destabilize
the LW world. IMO.... Nuff Said, But i will say it again, if i see someone try and kiss both arse cheeks again....

Constantly amazed, at how difficult people like to be on forums,
(me too) and just can't let a post go, without making a personal attacks etc....

Also amazed, at why people would think i'm actually interested
in hearing what they think of me on any level, ever... I you don't like me, or what i have to say, skip to the next thread, move on.
whatever. As if i care as to my popularity on a forum....

As for engaging only in people that matter or that understand me.
Haughty! you are entitled to your opinion of me, although what use it does in telling me of your opinion of me, is beyond me.

I dunno about you, but when i walk down the street, i usually engage with like minded individuals, i don't have the time, nor desire, to engage in uselss rhetoric, with people i have no interest in. (side note: if i can offer valuable information on LW tips an techniques, i'll share with anyone)

Same goes for forums..... I'm not going to say everything i know on LW and Luxology with people, who don't have the capability to understand, or read between the lines...
Many people on these forums, have worked out what is going on, so i'm not going engage Jeff in a point to point, and explain in lamens terms, every detail..... (when he won't agree or be able to understand anyway) No i don't know every detail, nor do i even want to.

The reasons for me reading this thread, was the fact that it was written by Jin...... Someone whom i have respect for.
I think has valid views and points, so i'm interested in his thoughts on subjects....... That's why i engaged in this thread.
(a mistake YES) But you learn much more from making mistakes,
than getting it right, and i'm on an eternal quest for knowledge.

Their is often method to my madness, you'd be amazed at what you can learn, by acting dumb.... (in my case it may not be acting)

PS (I often read posts that have you attached too, because i believe you are also a person of great talents, and someone with whom i would normally engage in) I can't force you to feel the same way, and i would not want too....

I'm a single voice, in a horde of many...... GET OVER IT!
I'm not always right, correct or nice..... (rarely in fact)

But you'll never stop me from being outspoken, on matters in which i'm passionate about.... (but feel free to try) The End.

PS.... You are still taking me way to seriously!
Take a chill pill and have a few laughs.... (the blue pill)

Rory_L
02-27-2003, 11:47 PM
I`ve worked it out! Neither Newtek nor Lux is actually going to make any new versions of Lightwave. They`ve struck a deal with VBulletin, whereby VBulletin pays them a dollar each for every consonant typed by us!

Rory

P.S. :rolleyes:

oldtekerr
12-31-2007, 03:00 AM
:D Talk about resurrecting the dead... but i couldn't resist

Well now that four years has past, how do you think they did?

meshpig
12-31-2007, 07:01 AM
Happy New Year!! I think this should post on the dot.

m

Darth Mole
01-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Pretty good - still needs some serious bugfixing (some things never change, eh?), but I like the renderer and some of the tools.

Ironically, if you took the best of LW and mixed it with the best of modo, what a great app that would be...

thisguy
01-01-2008, 06:37 PM
No, the animation would still suck...

jin choung
01-02-2008, 01:43 AM
happy new year! woooooo! 2008... holy crap.... time flies.

wow... hahahaha... this IS an old thread!

as for how they did, they seemed to have hired nothing but RENDER PROGRAMMERS! but that seems to be coming along pretty nicely.

they're also getting a lot of mileage from the node editor.... but i believe it was a third party acquisition and i'm not sure how deeply they can integrate it into lw.... it would be nice if all of a lw scene can be described as nodes.

(heck, it would be nice if multiple surfaces can be worked with and mixed and such at once!)

but along with programmers to deal with other outstanding issues, we seem to be in need of a visionary. someone who has an IDEA for what lw SHOULD BE. have in mind exactly what it should look like, feel like, behave in the coming year(s).

as opposed to just commenting on what currently IS.

lw BADLY NEEDS A VISION.

and i still think it's necessary to have folks who can clearly see what lw is currently doing wrong and badly.

it's not rocket surgery people. it's like raising kids. it does no good to tell them that they're good at something. you have to relentlessly and mercilessly harp on all their weaknesses until they are reduced to a quivering mound of tear spilling flesh. it's at that point that we can harness their rage and bitterness to REALLY make something out of them!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

war has become a [email protected]#$. but no NBC which was a concern then but a concern that has thankfully faded without incident.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah, modo and lw would still leave a less than desirable animation system... that's why we'd need to roll in messiah! kidding... not sure how competitive that package is anymore....

jin

meshpig
01-02-2008, 03:46 AM
You mean "rocket science"?

-Slow down, become "master of both your speeds and slowness"; quote from "Capitalism and Schizophrenia" , Volume 2. Gilles Deleuze/Felix Guattari.

-Which you might find interesting if you have a few years to read their whole oeuvre and don't become distracted by the contemporary American interpreters.

Sort of sounds like you are somehow implying that the Iraq war is no good ultimately because it delivers nothing like WW2 and RADAR, ICBM's, Fanjets, LASERS, Plastic...

Or, Napoleon and Margarine, the Korean war and all the 148 varieties of Potatoes we have which the US Dep. of Ag. invented to find one which could be dehydrated for ration packs etc. etc.

Which war wasn't a cluster ****?

But, beginning with metallurgy which usurped the Mesolithic populations... technology got a hold of this relationship to war in a big way etc.

in short;- "you have to relentlessly and mercilessly harp on all their weaknesses until they are reduced to a quivering mound of tear spilling flesh. it's at that point that we can harness their rage and bitterness to REALLY make something out of them!"

Mmm? Jokes aside. USMC tattoos, the Storm Trooper; Martinets of all types as the products of "harnessing rage and bitterness" to REALLY make a pile of s**t ?

Like it's hard to escape the mentality that war is the single driving force behind technological advance.

m

jin choung
01-02-2008, 12:54 PM
no i mean rocket surgery.

rocket science + brain surgery.

as for the rest of your post, i have absolutely no idea what you're saying.

jin

meshpig
01-04-2008, 01:20 AM
OK, Rocketsurgery it is.

-Maybe it rings like "Motel" (motor hotel) or "Animatronics" ( animated electronics) as in a Portmanteau word? I'm no wordsmith.

Yeah, these threads go on for too long. After the 2nd page who reads 'em?

m