PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

mjjwatson
10-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi there! Having been given the privilege of learning 3D whilst getting paid at my job, even though I'm a complete newbie to anything outside of web design and video editting, I thought I'd come here and try and get some lovely advice and learn from others.

Does anyone have any general advice for a complete starter? I've been working my way through the brilliant video tutorials, but was wondering if anyone else had any other general advice.

Also, just to throw it out there, I have a specific conundrum:

I'm trying to create an asteroid that explodes into pieces when shot at by a laser. This is because I'm a geek, and felt like doing it. :)

Although I have got the hang of the modelling process to a certain extent, I'm having trouble 'breaking up' my model, ready for it to shatter on impact. I'm not sure which tool is best really- booleon/ julliene seemed likely, but I'm missing something I'm sure.

I'd love some help from you whizzes!

Thanks in advance.

Iain
10-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Hello

There are some good plug ins that break up objects.

Search for a user called Dodgy and go to his website. He has a free plug called Break up.

This is quite an advanced (but fun!) area though as you need to use dynamics.

William's tutorial's cover that part.

akademus
10-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Hi, you certainly have a great privilege. I have seen a very few people given the chance to be paid while they are still learning the software or 3D in general. Usually you get a month or two to get into certain 3D package and that happens only if you are really good. Enjoy your sweet position!

There is a whole book of general advices for beginners, but some of more experienced users will find useful info as well.
It's 1001 Tips and Tricks (http://www.wordware.com/tnt/) from Wordware Publishing. Well written book by industry professionals from all over the world. There is some 30 established artists who collaborated on this project. It's written for LW8 but vast majority of tips apply regardless of software version.

While you're at it grab Essential LW9 from Steve Warner, Kevin Phillips and LW legend Timothy Albee.

These books (as well as others from wordware) blended together with Kurv studios and 3D Garage (Dan Ablan) will give you pretty much everything you need to be a successful Lightwave artist!

Best of luck!

mjjwatson
10-07-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the replies!

I've grasped the break up / explosion now. Dynamics are quite simple (in my head at least) and William's tutorials are bloody brilliant.

I've also discovered a couple of great plug ins that do the shatter effect, so I'm all done on that little mission.

Out of interest though, how would one go about slicing up a model without a plug in? If I use a 2D plane as a boolean 'cutter' it's the closest thing, but the result is only one half of the original geometry- below or above the plane used. (hope that makes sense).

And as for my privelged position: I've still got all my usual web design work to be plodding along with- I'm learning in amongst all that.

I've got the 3D fever now though. Web coding is so boring all of a sudden! :D