PDA

View Full Version : 3D Studio Max > Lightwave

user5192
10-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Hello, I'm new. It's good to see a productive board.
I was wondering if anybody has a tutorial on transitioning from Max to LW. I'm having problems figuring things out like changing pivots in Modeler and moving polys in one direction in the perspective view. Basically little things like that.

hrgiger
10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
You could try searchig around to see if someone has written a max to Lightwave guide. I know I found a lightwave to XSI guide when I started learning XSI.
As far as your specific questions... pivots are known as action centers in Lightwave which is where your object will rotate or translate from. You can find your action centers in the bottom center of the screen under the modes dropdown. You have 4 choices, mouse, origin, pivot, and selection. Generally, I find I'm either using mouse or selection most of the time. I usually only use origin when I want to size something up that has to stay symmetrical on the axis. I don't think I've ever used pivot.
Concerning constraining movements in the perspective view, I can see how that might throw you as Lightwave modeler does not use translation widgets (although layout does). You can constrain movements holding down your ctrl key and moving in that direction with your mouse. Generally though, when I want to constrain movements, I find this approach awkward and instead use the ctrl key and use the other viewports in either a top, front or side view to move.
Hope that's helpful.

Andrew March
10-06-2008, 01:49 AM
Your best bet is exporting to .obj and using a translation programme like Deep Exploration to assist with remapping.

This will cut down additional work time in modeller by quite a bit.

user5192
10-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks a lot hr. No translation widgets? It's going to take me a while to get used to that. The weird thing is that I used LW at my first job in '99 but I've forgotten all of it.

hrgiger
10-06-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah, it probably seems a little weird but I never used widgets before I started learning XSI this year and honestly, I could do with or without them. They have their advantages but I find I work quickly enough in Lightwave without them. For precise movements, I usually use one of the ortho viewports and all my tweaking is done in perspective view. I'm hoping they will be adding the option of widgets eventually in modeler because I still like them in very close up modeling such as working on small details.

user5192
10-06-2008, 10:24 AM
cool, I'm getting that hang of it. It's like riding a bike with square wheels.

thanks Andrew, I'll do it it when I get to that point.

IMI
10-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Your best bet is exporting to .obj and using a translation programme like Deep Exploration to assist with remapping.

Anyone who has Deep Exploration (CAD Edition only, I think) can bypass exporting OBJ from max and simply open the max file in Deep X, where you can then save it straight to a lwo object file, or even a lws scene file. Or any other number of a whole lot of formats and options.
I never had much luck exporting OBJ from max - no matter what settings I used, the files always got screwed up one way or another, or all the quads got converted into triangles.

dbolto
10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Or if Lightwave's Collada exporter worked correctly, you could go back and forth seamlessly like the other apps that are employing this format.

My 2 cents.

Dbolto

IMI
10-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Or if Lightwave's Collada exporter worked correctly, you could go back and forth seamlessly like the other apps that are employing this format.

My 2 cents.

Dbolto

Oh so it's not just me then. And here I thought I was doing something wrong...
:lwicon:

dbolto
10-06-2008, 03:04 PM
This was the sole purpose that I upgraded my LW copy and I am still waiting like many of us. What's funny is... If you have a model that is set up in Lightwave and you export it to Collada (.dae) and import that SAME model that you exported it comes back in nothing like you exported it originally.

I'm at peace with Newtek regarding this issue. I'm just hoping that one day I will get an early christmas gift wrapped in an email entitled:

"Collada Support is FINALLY here... Seriously this time!!!" LOL! I'm just givin' my Newtek buddies a lil' reaming, but i can't wait for this to work.

:)

Dbolto

user5192
10-06-2008, 03:04 PM
For the most part I won't be working outside of LW. I'm dropping Max because I'm switching to a Mac. One more question for the day...how do you rotate the camera in Layout? I can pan but not rotate.

IMI
10-06-2008, 03:29 PM
how do you rotate the camera in Layout? I can pan but not rotate.

The keyboard shortcut for it is the y key, and if you press that, in Layout, you'll get your typical widget like you're used to seeing.

Also another neat thing is if you press the n key (n for numeric entry), the H,P,B parameters at the lower left of the layout interface will highlight and you can type in specific values for your rotations and translations. :)

Iain
10-06-2008, 03:39 PM
With the camera selected, switch to camera view, press y and you can rotate by left clicking and holding in that viewport and actually see what the camera sees.

You can do the same with move(t). It works great for light placement too.

jat
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
For the most part I won't be working outside of LW. I'm dropping Max because I'm switching to a Mac. One more question for the day...how do you rotate the camera in Layout? I can pan but not rotate.

you can run windows on a Mac as well......keep Max around

user5192
10-06-2008, 05:42 PM
I'll keep Max around on an old laptop. But for the most part it pisses me off. The modeling tools are a pain. That, and I don't want make a dual boot machine. I used to use LW maybe 8-9 years ago and I remember the work flow being very fast. My goal is to make a short animation so I'm likely going to pick LW (if I can get fast enough with it).

Thanks for the help everybody. I'll jump in here every now and then with questions. The Barnes & Noble and Borders where I live doesn't have any books on Lighwave.

Stooch
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
yeah for the record you want to use a != next time.

ie 3dsmax != lightwave. some people might get upset if you use the >

BeeVee
10-07-2008, 07:26 AM
You can use your scroll wheel on your mouse to switch between move and rotate in Layout too, saves having to go to the keyboard (it will also do Scale and Size if you are using an object for instance).

B

user5192
10-07-2008, 02:36 PM
yeah for the record you want to use a != next time.

ie 3dsmax != lightwave. some people might get upset if you use the >

ah yeah, I can see how people would take that the wrong way. I'll use a "to" next time.

user5192
10-07-2008, 02:40 PM
You can use your scroll wheel on your mouse to switch between move and rotate in Layout too, saves having to go to the keyboard (it will also do Scale and Size if you are using an object for instance).

B

hey, how do you rotate the camera around a pivot point/mouse in Layout? I feel like it's right beneath my nose.

hrgiger
10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Well you could make a null and parent the camera to the null and then use the null to rotate.

user5192
10-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I guess this is a different topic, but who knows when 9.5 final is coming out for Mac? I'm waiting to buy the software until the upgrade comes out.

hrgiger
10-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I don't know that can really tell you when the mac version will be available. However, if you register with the software, you can get the beta version right away.

Dirk
10-08-2008, 02:59 AM
Hello, I'm new. It's good to see a productive board.
I was wondering if anybody has a tutorial on transitioning from Max to LW. I'm having problems figuring things out like changing pivots in Modeler and moving polys in one direction in the perspective view. Basically little things like that.

Lightwave has a "Rove"-Tool, maybe that could be used. William made a Video about it .... see here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78148&highlight=rove+tool

William has made a ton of free tutorial videos, have fun

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

BeeVee
10-08-2008, 07:54 AM
user5192, seeing as 9.5 will be a free upgrade anyway, why wait?

B

user5192
10-08-2008, 01:50 PM

B

nice. now all I have to do is wait for the macbook pros to upgrade.

user5192
10-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Lightwave has a "Rove"-Tool, maybe that could be used. William made a Video about it .... see here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78148&highlight=rove+tool

William has made a ton of free tutorial videos, have fun

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Holy crap the tutorials are awesome.
The rove tool works very well, but would be great if it were in Layout as well.

Snosrap
10-08-2008, 07:49 PM

B

Cool. I also just discovered you can zoom in and out with the scroll wheel with the Alt key pressed. And scrolling the wheel moves the frame/time slider back and forth while pressing the Ctrl key!:thumbsup: Too bad I use a tablet most of the time.:D

Cheers
Snosrap

user5192
10-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Well you could make a null and parent the camera to the null and then use the null to rotate.

I finally got a copy of Inside Lightwave v9 by Dan Ablan. It's pretty good but I can't figure out a way to attach a null to a camera. Anybody?

user5192
10-09-2008, 04:56 PM

B

I'll get it before the end of this month, I swear.

hrgiger
10-09-2008, 07:34 PM
I finally got a copy of Inside Lightwave v9 by Dan Ablan. It's pretty good but I can't figure out a way to attach a null to a camera. Anybody?

select the camera, hit m for motion options and at the very top you'll see a drop down menu for choosing a parent item. Choose the null.

user5192
10-09-2008, 09:26 PM
select the camera, hit m for motion options and at the very top you'll see a drop down menu for choosing a parent item. Choose the null.

kickass, that works. thanks.

user5192
10-10-2008, 05:07 PM
When I'm in Layout working with bones, I go to erase a bone with Cntrl X and it will erase. But it won't erase another bone. Delete and Backspace don't work. WTF? How do I get rid of the damn things. The Ablan book says to use Cntrl X.

Sande
10-10-2008, 05:26 PM

I don't get it - why, how? We move meshes from Max to LW and back all the time at work (via .obj) and we have never needed Deep Exploration...

user5192
10-29-2008, 10:56 AM
So I finally bought it. Argh the documentation that comes with it is diffucult to use. I did a search for "rove" and I got 10 instances of "improve" then something about the rove tool. So I'm using Inside Lightwave 9 and video tutorials. Nothing's easy.

IMI
10-29-2008, 11:02 AM
So I finally bought it. Argh the documentation that comes with it is diffucult to use. I did a search for "rove" and I got 10 instances of "improve" then something about the rove tool. So I'm using Inside Lightwave 9 and video tutorials. Nothing's easy.

Hey, make sure you have a look at all these FREE videos!
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html

The page is Flash, though the videos are all Quick Time. Click on the one you want to see, then select Link from the upper menu, then right click and "save as" to download from the page which opens.
GREAT stuff, and about 3.5 Gigs of it.

user5192
10-29-2008, 11:03 AM
you just made my life easier. thank!

IMI
10-29-2008, 11:05 AM
No problem. :)
There's a world of incredible information in those videos - enough to keep anyone busy for a long time, and shorten that learning curve up considerably.

user5192
10-31-2008, 08:33 PM
Why is it when I extrude a polygon from a primitive, the resulting vertices aren't connected? When I go to sub-d mode it looks like a mess. I have to go in and manually weld the new vertices one by one. Am I doing something wrong? I hope I am.

IMI
10-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Why is it when I extrude a polygon from a primitive, the resulting vertices aren't connected? When I go to sub-d mode it looks like a mess. I have to go in and manually weld the new vertices one by one. Am I doing something wrong? I hope I am.

Probably you're doing something wrong.
I'm uploading an animated GIF I just made showing extrude and extender plus on a cube primitive, with and without subpatch.
A few times I hit the m key, for merge polygons, and you can see that by not eliminating any vertices, nothing became unwelded.
What kind of results are you getting? Can you upload a screenshot?

PS, the graphic slowness of the response in Modeler is not what I see while modeling, and not what I see with Camtasia studio running and recording. I see no slowdown whatsoever. I'm just mentioning that because I don't want people to think Modeler's OpenGL is THAT bad. ;) It has something to do with the production of the GIF, and it slows down noticeably towards the end. GIF though is good for quickie demos which can be uploaded here, as opposed to the larger file sizes of MOV or AVI.

Iain
11-01-2008, 02:57 AM

Use Smooth Shift to extrude a poly while leaving it attached to the mesh.

Infinite
11-01-2008, 04:58 AM
I don't get it - why, how? We move meshes from Max to LW and back all the time at work (via .obj) and we have never needed Deep Exploration...

You may be able to do that but Lightwave supports selections groups in .obj format ( like the ones you need in Zbrush to define areas ) Max doesnt have a clue what they are in .obj as (it thinks they are detached meshes) groups are something else in Max!

With regards to Deep Exploration it's expensive but does work. You have to make sure your objects are all merged together, your materials are all under one MultiSub (reset Xform) (correct pivot point location) then you have to turn that mesh to Editable Poly so DeepEx doesnt tri everything.

The CG community really needs a universal format!! :help:

IMI
11-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Use Smooth Shift to extrude a poly while leaving it attached to the mesh.

OHHH!!!
My bad. I was using it wrong I just realized. I've been using extender plus so long in conjunction with the translate tools, I forgot simple extrude doesn't work the same way. :foreheads

Yeah, you're right - smooth shift is the way to go. Bevel with no inset would work the same way too.

Iain
11-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I've been using extender plus so long in conjunction with the translate tools, I forgot simple extrude doesn't work the same way.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, as they say.

user5192
11-03-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm making a character with teeth and I'm not sure how to set up the layers to prepare for morphs. Should I keep the teeth in the same layer as the head? And if so, how do I select just the teeth or just the mouth/head? I want to control the mouth and teeth at the same at the same time.

user5192
11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm making a character with teeth and I'm not sure how to set up the layers to prepare for morphs. Should I keep the teeth in the same layer as the head? And if so, how do I select just the teeth or just the mouth/head? I want to control the mouth and teeth at the same at the same time.

and yes I'm going through the tutorials now:hey:

IMI
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Whatever you have selected is what your MT's will be applied to. I'm not sure if it's such a great idea to do that across layers though. At least, I keep all the "parts" of a character in the same layer, even if they're not all welded together. Any object with parts that have to all move together, IMO, should be in the same layer, but I can't claim that's the best way.

As for selecting, if you select a polygon on a mesh and then hit the closed bracket key ---> ] (by default), all the polys in that object will be selected. That is, if the object isn't welded to any other objects. If that's the case, then everything which is welded will become selected.

A better way though is to create a part out of a polygon selection. if you select your polys then go to Detail tab>Parts> Create Part, a dialog will open and yo can name the part whatever you want. You can also add additional selections to an existing selection in this way, by using the dropdown in the Change Part Name dialog which opens.
Then in the polygon statistics panel (w key on the keyboard, by default), if you click on the little arrow on the right in the Part row, it'll open a list, then by clicking the plus (+) character on the right, you will select that part.
You can also select polygons by surface name in that panel as well.

Clear as mud, eh? ;)

IMI
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
For example, the statistics panel opened with a character layer selected, showing the parts I've created.

And I meant to say the left - the plus sign is on the left, not the right.

user5192
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
that's a lot to absorb, but it's needed. thanks a lot.
I found create part at view>selection sets>create part
could be because I'm on mac/9.3.1
Sometimes I find myself unable to deselect polys when I select them via ]. Is there an easier way to do this than the lasso?

IMI
11-05-2008, 04:24 AM
that's a lot to absorb, but it's needed. thanks a lot.
I found create part at view>selection sets>create part
could be because I'm on mac/9.3.1

Could also be because I put some tools where I want them and tend to forget what I've moved. Sorry if that's the case here. :o

Sometimes I find myself unable to deselect polys when I select them via ]. Is there an easier way to do this than the lasso?

I'm not really sure what you mean. Are you sure it's not an OpenGL issue, or are you saying the polys stay selected even if you click on them?
Pressing the forward slash key ( / ) deselects all. that I *know* is a default key, at least on PC. I really don't have any idea what migth be different in the Mac version, so if you have any weird problems, you migth want to ask in the Mac forum here: http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

You can also use the polygon statistics panel to deselect, by clicking on the minus sign when your surface or part is selected in the panel and in the viewport. Whenever you have something selected - by points, polys, edges, surfaces or parts, the little plus and minus signs will be highlighted in white.

IMI
11-05-2008, 04:30 AM
BTW, you can adjust or create custom menus with Alt+F10 (on PC - sorry I don't know the Mac equivalent to the Alt key, if there even is a difference) to open the Configure Menus panel, and you can assign/unassign keyboard shortcuts with Alt+F9 to open the Configure Keys Panel.

Although I wouldn't recommend doing either if you're following tutorials, especially by William Vaughan, because he uses the defaults, as do most people when they do tutorials.
In both those panels though you can save and load custom presets, in addition to returning it all to default settings.

user5192
12-02-2008, 09:51 AM
I have a simple problem. I cannot delete objects or pieces. I'm on a Mac. When I use command+x for cut nothing happens, the delete button does nothing. What am I doing wrong? I'm on 9.3.1
Also, is there a way to select objects by name?

edit: this is in both modeler and layout

BeeVee
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
What you are most likely pressing is the Backspace key, rather than Delete. The one above the Enter key is Backspace, the one traditionally over the cursor keys on a full keyboard is Delete.

B

user5192
12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
What you are most likely pressing is the Backspace key, rather than Delete. The one above the Enter key is Backspace, the one traditionally over the cursor keys on a full keyboard is Delete.

B

Okay, I'm an idiot. 8~
Would you happen to know how to select objects by name? I've found two identical objects occupying the same space and when I select polys it selects from both.

user5192
12-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Okay, I'm an idiot. 8~
Would you happen to know how to select objects by name? I've found two identical objects occupying the same space and when I select polys it selects from both.

Actually I'm not an idiot...
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38902&highlight=delete+key+mac

BeeVee
12-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Okay, I'm an idiot. 8~

If they both have the same surface it will be more difficult, but if they don't you can simply call up the statistics panel with w and make sure you are in polygon mode. Then in the Stats window select the surface name corresponding to one of the objects and hit the plus symbol to the left.

B