PDA

View Full Version : 3ds import - how can I make it look good?

sraaf
08-03-2003, 05:21 PM
I'm having difficulties with 3ds models I import in that I cannot select polygons and subpatch them. Each polygon gets subpatched individually and not the whole selection. All points are merged, etc. Is there any way to convert or work with a 3ds file in the same way that you work with a native lwo file?

Thanks in advance -

Sabrina

prospector
08-03-2003, 06:21 PM
try saving as LWO first.

prospector
08-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Also because most programs use Trippled polys
it might be a good idea to get merge trigon X
if you don't have it already.

sraaf
08-03-2003, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately I get the models from someone else so I do not have the option of saving them in .lwo format first..

I did find the mergetrigonsX lscript online but I don't think it works for my platform (mac). I put it in my Lscripts folder but I'm not sure how to activate it - or if it needs to be activated to work.

Any advice?

Thanks, Sabrina

evenflcw
08-04-2003, 12:04 AM
If patches get subpatched individually that could be a sign that two polygons occupy the same space. rune a Unify Polygons to get rid of the doplicates.

CTRL+X
08-04-2003, 12:14 AM
First thing when imported in is run merge, usually with .3ds it will come in with coincedental points.

then run merge trigons

then unify

prospector
08-04-2003, 04:29 AM
Yep it needs to be activated.
it also can be loaded as a plug-in
so load as a regular plug-in, then do a edit menu and put it somewhere on a button in a menu.

And after ya get object loaded as a 3ds just do a save as LWO the load the LW ver in and follow CTRL+X tips

sraaf
08-04-2003, 09:51 PM
It all worked out beautifully. Thanks very much for your help! The model subpatches with no deformations or holes -

Sabrina

LaughingVulcan
04-07-2006, 10:51 AM
Yep it needs to be activated.
it also can be loaded as a plug-in
so load as a regular plug-in, then do a edit menu and put it somewhere on a button in a menu.

And after ya get object loaded as a 3ds just do a save as LWO the load the LW ver in and follow CTRL+X tips

prospector,

I didn't realize you could bring in LScripts as plugins, and then assign keys to 'em. I've been doing it the manual way...

(Now, if they only could do Trigons for Mac OSX LW8.5, I'd truly be a happy camper...)
:D

LaughingVulcan
04-10-2006, 08:43 AM
Now, if they only could do Trigons for Mac OSX LW8.5, I'd truly be a happy camper...
:D

Never mind, I just tested it on 8.5, after loading it in as a plugin and assigning a key...works fine...:) :lwicon: