PDA

View Full Version : Very basic question from a new user

Paul-sn
10-05-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi there,
This will surely sound silly, but I'm just wondering if there's any way to set up my mouse so that the scroll-wheel zooms in and out of the viewport in Modeller and Layout? Every other 3d program in the world does this by default, and I just can't get used to having to press Ctrl+Alt each time i need to zoom in.
Thanks!

Ferox
10-05-2008, 12:01 PM
I just press <,> and <.> to zoom out and zoom in, after centering the view on the pointer with <g>.

Hopper
10-05-2008, 12:13 PM
But in short, the answer to your question unfortunately is no. If you can find a 3rd party mouse driver application that will allow you to assign both forward and backward scrolling to your mouse wheel, you can assign the keys, but this capability is not built into the system. It has been many a subject in the Feature Request area of the forum.

Being a programmer myself, I don't see this as being a difficult function to build into the system, but since I don't know any of the code, it might actually be more difficult than it sounds. Things that may seem extremely simple to the end-user might, in fact, be quite difficult to modify because of the architecture of the code.

Oedo 808
10-05-2008, 12:27 PM
If you can find a 3rd party mouse driver application that will allow you to assign both forward and backward scrolling to your mouse wheel, you can assign the keys, but this capability is not built into the system. It has been many a subject in the Feature Request area of the forum.

Has there been any acknowledgement of these requests?

ercaxus
10-05-2008, 12:31 PM
In layout you can hold alt key and zoom in and out with the mouse wheel.
With control key it moves the time slider and with the shift key it selects the next/previous object.
Nothing in modeler i guess.

Paul-sn
10-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the replies... I was afraid that'd be the answer I would get. Hopefully NewTek adds this to the next version of LightWave.