PDA

View Full Version : WilliamVaughan's computer

valsaint
10-04-2008, 06:14 PM
First let me thank WilliamVaughan for the fiber fx tutorials. Awesome. I am curious as to what computer setup he is using. I noticed during rendering of the fibers i would see threads:16. 16 threads!!! I am not into full details, but how he got 16 threads on one computer and what kind of computer it is.

Hopper
10-04-2008, 06:23 PM
I think he had mentioned it before, but I also run 16 threads and I'm only running a quad core. After some testing, 8 was about the same as 4 (One would be faster then the other would be faster), but 16 was consistently faster by a few seconds (on renders that where only 5 minutes or so - your mileage may vary). I would imagine it all depends on what your rendering, if you are using GI, caustics, etc. Different calculations will thread differently.

valsaint
10-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the reply. I never saw where he (WilliamVaughan) mentioned his computer setup. I have an old dual cpu amd athlon 1800, 3gigs ram with an nvidia dcc card. So i am not up with the latest computer stuff. I am just a freelance airbrush artist that love 3d animation, makes no money at it, but buys every freekin' software that catches my eye like lightwave 3d, messiah studio v3.0, vue xstream v6.6 and others. I have a library of all kurvstudios dvd tutorials, asilefx and dvds tutorials from characterfx.com (when it was up) for messiahstudio. Yet all i do is "dabble" in 3d until i can make money from it. Wish me luck.

Ivan D. Young
10-06-2008, 07:01 PM
William might get mad at me divulging his machine specs, but here goes. he has a Boxx workstation with 8 Procs and 8 gigs of RAM running XP 64. I can tell you from personal experience that machine screams. When I was editing the Tofu project, we hit a wall with rendering Professor Vost's house. The beginning shot and ending shot were too much for our render farm. So William brought his machine in to help and it jsut devoured those scenes, but of course being 64 bit helped. :devil:

virtualcomposer
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
William might get mad at me divulging his machine specs, but here goes. he has a Boxx workstation with 8 Procs and 8 gigs of RAM running XP 64. I can tell you from personal experience that machine screams. When I was editing the Tofu project, we hit a wall with rendering Professor Vost's house. The beginning shot and ending shot were too much for our render farm. So William brought his machine in to help and it jsut devoured those scenes, but of course being 64 bit helped. :devil:

You mean his one machine is faster then your render farm??? How is that possible unless it's a very old render farm.

RollerJesus
10-06-2008, 09:10 PM
You mean his one machine is faster then your render farm??? How is that possible unless it's a very old render farm.

The single machine couldn't render an entire animation faster than a farm because it doesn't have the number of nodes (each frame is delegated to a node), but it can handle a larger, more complex scene than a render farm, typically because the nodes are not nearly as powerful as a top of the line Boxx machine like what was mentioned.

Make sense?

Ivan D. Young
10-07-2008, 12:57 PM
NO, NO, not at all! The particular scenes that we loaded exceeded 32 bit memory limits, so we needed to load the scene into a 64 bit machine. Our Farm is 32 bit. We could not even get a half of the scene in before it crashed. As far as straight up comparison, obviously more cores will increase speed of your render.

erikals
10-07-2008, 03:56 PM
... some time ago I read good things bout the LW64 bit version, it is supossed to be very fast...

64bit is also very cool as you can yam it with ram.
great for mudbox, heavy LW scenes, video editing, etc...

btw, you can run both 32bit and 64bit LW on a 64bit machine, that way missing 64bit plugins aren't that much of a problem.