PDA

View Full Version : edge bevel & loop selection

Ferox
10-04-2008, 03:17 PM
I was wondering if the loop selection follows specific rules, it seems ocassionally not to work correctly (either selects "funny" loops or deselects everything).
Also the edge bevel is giving me some trouble, I thought the problem was having overlapping points and tried merging them but that hasn't helped at all. Is there any specific way I can locate the problem that is causing the tool not to work correctly ?
thanks in advance :thumbsup:

hrgiger
10-04-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd like to tell you that edge bevel is a great tool but I'd be lying to you. It's flaky at best except under the most strict of circumstances. Perhaps you can say what you are trying to do, there might be a better tool or better way to do it.

Ferox
10-04-2008, 04:32 PM
I see, that's bad news...anyway I'm following a tutorial from the Essential LW book, I was supposed to bevel the edge of a ring I built beveling and multi shifting a circle.

hrgiger
10-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Well, there are several tools that will do similar things. Edge bevel merely splits an edge in 2 and creates a beveled edge between two polygons, you could probably do the same thing using rounder using 1 rounding polygon, it will do practically the same operation only it's more reliable.

Ferox
10-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, there are several tools that will do similar things. Edge bevel merely splits an edge in 2 and creates a beveled edge between two polygons, you could probably do the same thing using rounder using 1 rounding polygon, it will do practically the same operation only it's more reliable.

I had a look at rounder, looks excellent. When I tried using it on that edge LW crashed though, so I think I'll just leave it unbevelled as I tried beveling and rounding other edges and the tools were working fine. :question:

Surrealist.
10-05-2008, 01:55 AM
Post a picture if what you are trying to do. I am sure there are many ways to accomplish it.

Ferox
10-05-2008, 07:17 AM
Post a picture if what you are trying to do. I am sure there are many ways to accomplish it.

ok. I want the edge where the points are selected (I had to select them one by one since select-loop just deselects the selection) to have a 1-step bevele.

hrgiger
10-05-2008, 08:00 AM
You said you tried using rounder with the edges and LW crashed. Did you try rounder using those points as a selection? What version of LW are you using because I don't remember there being a stability issue with rounder like that.

Ferox
10-05-2008, 08:33 AM
yep, crashes every time. Its 9.0 (win32) by the way.

hrgiger
10-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Why are you using 9? Why don't you upgrade to 9.5? It's free you know.

Giacomo99
10-05-2008, 09:30 AM
If it were me, I'd build the form as a lathed surface and just draw the bevels as part of the cross-section.

In general (and this is true for every 3D program I've ever used), rounding works best when applied to polygons rather than edges. You might want to adjust your workflow accordingly.

hrgiger
10-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Rounder will work fine in this case with edges or points but he's clearly having a stability issue with his Lightwave. Using rounder on the polygons will round on both sides of the polygons which isn't what he's after.

Ferox
10-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Guess I should upgrade it then hr.
Thanks for the tips Giacomo, basically I'm a LW noob so I need all the help I can get :)
ot.sei italiano ?

Surrealist.
10-05-2008, 08:47 PM
ok. I want the edge where the points are selected (I had to select them one by one since select-loop just deselects the selection) to have a 1-step bevele.

If the select loop is not working it may be the reason nothing else is. If select loop sees a break in the loop sometimes it will fail. This is often the case when points need to be merged. This will also crash and or make both Rounder and Edge bevel fail. Both tools should work fine on geometry like that. There is also Multishift which would work to add to that poly loop. Extender plus would work on the points with something like Point Normal move (after you bump it with size or move).

JeffrySG
10-05-2008, 08:56 PM
^agreed! Every time I have an issue with rounder it's usually due to a problem in the model itself - nonplanar geometry, non-welded points, crazy n-gons, doubled up polys or edges, etc.

Surrealist.
10-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Some examples:

1) Edge Bevel or Rounder

2) Multishift

3) ExenterPlus (with point normal move)

Surrealist.
10-05-2008, 09:44 PM
^agreed! Every time I have an issue with rounder it's usually due to a problem in the model itself - nonplanar geometry, non-welded points, crazy n-gons, doubled up polys or edges, etc.

Exactly. And sometimes remember. Although most times you can fix it with merge points. often your geometry is simply "mysteriously illegal". An example of this is when the bevel tool will start to work in the opposite direction. No merge points, unify polys, align polys will dot it.

It is at this point that I simply rebuild that area from scratch and suddenly all the tools are working again. 99.999 percent of the time if a tool is not working it is something simple like merge points or any other detectable thing. The other times you just have to realize that either it is some undetected user error or face it. No computer program is perfect and in that small percentage of the time perhaps you have to just do it again. :)

Surrealist.
10-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Guess I should upgrade it then hr.
Thanks for the tips Giacomo, basically I'm a LW noob so I need all the help I can get :)
ot.sei italiano ?

Check out the tips and tricks section for the 24 + hours of free videos. Most of the Modeler tools are demonstrated there.

Surrealist.
10-05-2008, 09:58 PM
And of course this tutorial (http://www.lightwiki.com/Working_with_Rounder_and_Edge_Bevel) to the subject at hand.

Ferox
10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
wow thanks Surrealist, you're being really helpfull, Ill definetly have a go at the section and tutorial you suggested.
thanks again !
:beerchug:

Surrealist.
10-06-2008, 10:01 PM
No Prob. Good luck and let us know if you have any more questions.