PDA

View Full Version : APS question

jasonwestmas
10-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Does Adaptive Pixel Subdivision subdivide the polygons that are on the opposite side of an object where they are not visible to the camera? I know APS doesn't subdivide polys off screen.

Giacomo99
10-04-2008, 08:38 AM
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

I'm not sure how to answer your APS question. Is there an actual problem that needs to be solved, or are you just curious? I suppose you could try casting a hard shadow to see if the displaced contour is correct or not (or putting a "mirror" on the far side of the objects to see if the polys are subdivided), but other than that I am at a loss.

jasonwestmas
10-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Sorry I wasn't very clear,

My concern is how high of a Polygon COUNT can I get and if I need to be concerned with back-facing polygons when using APS effectively. If I need to remove back-facing polys to get the necessary detail for a certain shot then I'll do it. But yeah, I'm just curious here and was wondering how the APS tech worked with .

SplineGod
10-04-2008, 09:09 AM
I dont think rear facing polys are effected

jasonwestmas
10-04-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks Larry

Jim M
10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
I did some tests a while back, and if memory serves me right, rear facing polys can be affected.

SplineGod
10-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Its been awhile for me as well but I think it has to do how you setup your gradients etc. IF it does render the back facing polys by default you can use gradients to have it subdivide only the polys the camera sees.