PDA

View Full Version : Parenting

Richard Hebert
10-04-2008, 05:55 AM
In modeler, is it possible to select multiple layers and parent them to another layer? I've gone through the modeler manual and found no references to this. I've also tried selecting multiple layers and then opening the Layers Settings panel to use the parenting feature there with no success. Thanks for any advice.

Richard

3DGFXStudios
10-04-2008, 07:47 AM
Put it in the feature requests! good idea!

SplineGod
10-04-2008, 07:48 AM
I believe you can do that in the scene editor

Tobian
10-04-2008, 07:50 AM
Yes quite simple :)

Open the layers panel. Double click on your intented child layer, and you will see a drop down menu to allow you to select the parent. (and a box to name them too)

Also if you look at the little down arrow on the layers window panel, right next to the eye like icon, you can select that, and change the mode to hierarchy to see it working. You can drag child layers onto a parent in this mode, for fast parenting, like in layout.

If you import such models into layout they should be correctly parented, as the modeler model, however if you do so AFTER you have imported them, it doesn't change, so you'll have to do it manually or reimport them, into layout.

3DGFXStudios
10-04-2008, 08:00 AM
In modeler you don't have a scene editor.

In modeler you need to parent them one by one.....that's the problem

read people read! ;)

Richard Hebert
10-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Thanks Guys, I didn't know about the hierarchy list. That does make things go a little faster. Is there a way to select and parent more than one layer at a time? I've tried moving multiple layers in the hierarchy list and that doesn't seem to be an option. I have a medium resolution mesh (commercial model) that has about 99 layers that have to be parented to either a null or the main body of the model. I don't mind work but a little less work will allow more creativity. Thanks for the quick replies btw.

Richard

SplineGod
10-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Its because of what Tobian said that I find it easier just to do the parenting in layout...less headaches. :)
Its also the same problem when adjusting pivot points in modeler.

Richard Hebert
10-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Hi Space Monk,

That answered my post. Now, just waiting for the feature to be available.

Richard

Richard Hebert
10-04-2008, 08:20 AM
It's a shame you can't do the parenting in Layout then export a new .lwo to save the parenting. Although, it would be easier from the start to be able to do that kind of parenting in modeler. Does anyone know if this was addressed in 9.5?