PDA

View Full Version : Dithered DOF

the bishop
10-04-2008, 03:14 AM
i'm performing shallow DOF in LW 9.5 (no plugin used) and all of my out-of-focus objects are dithered instead of smoothly blurred. it looks horrible. i have tried changing settings on camera distance, focal distance, AA, adaptive sampling, f-stop... but no matter what i keep getting horrible dithering on everything that is supposed to be smoothly out-of-focus.

why can't i get a smooth blur like i see on everyone else's work?

has anyone experienced the same problem and if so, what was the remedy?

Simon
10-04-2008, 04:23 AM
I think the smooth DOF you are seeing on other peoples work is probably not Lightwave's own (the word smooth is not one I would use to describe it!). It can look grainy unless you use a lot of AA and a low AS value. Post an example image and the settings you have on the camera panel.

Tobian
10-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Uhm, yeah, just saying you have these issues doesn't tell us your settings! :) Typically adaptive sampling is set to 0.1 - which is pretty much useless. You should be looking at 0.03 - 0.01 for smoother results, and you won't need as much AA with those settings too. Also have you got Classic camera, or are you using the perspective or real lens cameras, as using classic camera will result in the old type of dithered DOF which is awful! :)

BeeVee
10-06-2008, 06:35 AM
You probably need to up the number of motion blur passes.

B

CC Rider
10-06-2008, 07:50 AM
You probably need to up the number of motion blur passes.

B

Without seeing your camera settings, if I were to guess, I would attribute it to Motion Blur passes as well. To get really exaggerated out of focus areas to look nice and smooth it could take 5 or 6 passes (or sometimes more depending on the scene...) of Photoreal motion blur to get acceptable results...in addition to the .03 - .01 settings for AS.
:D