10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Register here first:
www.vfxcast.com

View the first video here:
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1263/Poser_to_Lightwave_Demo_Pt1/

Ill be posting up more videos ASAP. :)

JeffrySG
10-03-2008, 11:29 AM
Not really a poser user, but I really enjoyed your edge loops video, Larry! :)

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 12:28 PM
Thanks, glad you liked that video.
Im not realy a poser user per se. Theres quite a few assets on Daz, content paradise etc that can now be easily used in LW. Its great for situations where you dont have time or resources to create alot of models and textures.
With this plugin you dont have to have poser to be able to pull in the model, skeleton and morphs. If you do have poser you can also import in poses and motions in the form of skelegons, morphs and mdd files. Another nice aspeect is that poser imports mocap data pretty readily. That can be saved as a poser pose library and import using PLK so this gives and easy way to import a character, skeleton and mocap files into LW.

jaxtone
10-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Wow... is this working with Poser Pro as well?

J

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes but to be honest you dont need Poser Pro with this IMO. :)
You really dont even need poser for some of the basic functions like importing a mesh, textures, bones, weightmaps and morphs.
If you want to import poses and motions youll probably need poser.

calilifestyle
10-03-2008, 01:53 PM
I dont see the new plugging. i see the videos.

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 02:00 PM
The plugin installs a bunch of other plugins. Those can be seen in the poser tabs in modeler and layout in the video.

calilifestyle
10-03-2008, 03:41 PM
LOL im sorry i mean when i go the link i don't get plug-ins. the videos are for members only. so i guess what im saying is wheres the link for the plugs

JMCarrigan
10-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Geez Larry. I buy Poser 7, upgrade to Pro and NOW you tell me. Waaaaagh! Oh well. Good work. How much will it be? Too much if I have to ask?

Vong
10-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Funny... Daz Artists using Lightwave (at least they used too) to create Daz3D/Poser content, only to have that content brought back into Lightwave!

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 06:03 PM
The plugin should be available this next week. Im guessing it will be less expensive then the greenbriar plugins which I also tried using but had mixed luck with. I will be posting up some more videos with more details on my workflow with it.

calilifestyle
10-03-2008, 07:36 PM
thnx i see this looks cool. might come in handy for few things i had planned. i'll say this again about the greenbriar plugins, i still have no clue what is being sold there. Ever time i visit the site i get confused. some one help him organize his website.

hrgiger
10-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Any chance this plug-in can reduce the number of polygons that are imported? That's a dense mesh to be animating with, or if you want to modify it in modeler.

rakker16mm
10-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Cool,

This might come in kind of handy. Since I still have Poser5 which I almost got rid of.

SplineGod
10-03-2008, 08:56 PM
It doesnt do poly reduction. I dont get why poser meshes tend to be so dense. Some figures have low poly versions. Actually in layout the polygon density didnt seem to be as much of a problem then in modeler. I just set the bounding box threshold lower so that i could pose quickly and then let the mesh catch up quickly.
What I will probably start doing is using 3dcoats topology tools to create lower rez meshes myself.

rakker,
PLK works with that as well. :)

hrgiger
10-03-2008, 09:00 PM
What I will probably start doing is using 3dcoats topology tools to create lower rez meshes myself.

That would probably be best. I've used a few poser models for proportion in the background while I rebuilt the topology in the foreground, especially with hands and feet. Sort of the poor mans method of a topology tool.

IMI
10-04-2008, 08:07 AM
I dont get why poser meshes tend to be so dense.

That's easy enough to answer.
For one thing, they're not targeting "pros", mostly just hobbyists. And before anyone comes along with the usual, But there ARE PROS who use Poser!!!!!, I'll just say, yes. Yes, there are, and God love 'em. :)

So, hi res meshes aren't that big of a deal to the hobbyist creating stills, even if he has a wimpy computer. Also, Poser isn't known for it's ability to fully utilize hi res texture maps for highly detailed maps, bumps and displacements, so the high geometry count is a plus there.

And the other big reason for the hi res meshes is the fact that the first thing many Poser users want to do is to learn how to make junk to sell to other Poser users - clothes, morphs, figures and so on, but largely "characters" based on the meshes with that whole morph injection scheme. Obviously, the more dense the geometry, the easier it is to create morphs, particularly those 44 double-D morphs which are so popular among the kids... I mean, the serious adults who use Poser most. If those models, particularly the DAZ people, didn't have such hi res geometry, the users would have to settle on less morphability, or alot of texture stretching. Not that the texture stretching doesn't happen already. ;) Either that or they'd all have to re -UV map them to get more detail from the maps, and create new textures for them.

Speaking of DAZ Poser meshes, you'll notice the naughty bits aren't particularly structured to easily facilitate, shall we say, "realistic" morphing in those bad and dirty parts of the anatomy. ;)

Having said all that, DAZ does in fact have a whole lot of really good models. I'm not a big fan of the figures, but there's alot of great furniture and props there at their site, with some really good textures.

hrgiger
10-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah, if the plug-in is cheap, I'll have a look at it. There's a lot of poser content floating around that would be useful for those extras in your scenes.

JMCarrigan
10-04-2008, 09:49 AM
thnx i see this looks cool. might come in handy for few things i had planned. i'll say this again about the greenbriar plugins, i still have no clue what is being sold there. Ever time i visit the site i get confused. some one help him organize his website.

Ditto! No kidding! I tried to buy from him long ago - no luck - now too late.

daforum
10-05-2008, 04:12 AM
Hi Larry,

I just saw the Poser to Lightwave demo video on vfxcast.com and it's really good to see a good set of plugins that can do this at last.

Will the plugins work with lw 9.3 or is it for 9.5?

SplineGod
10-05-2008, 05:00 AM
What I show in the first demo video barely do the tools justice. Theres a lot more that it does which Ill show in the next video.
PLK worked in 9.3 all the way to the latest 9.5. Theres one or two new aspects that are LW9.5 specfic though.

Korvar
10-05-2008, 05:11 AM
It doesnt do poly reduction. I dont get why poser meshes tend to be so dense.

I think it's due to the limitations of the Poser rendering engine - it can't do subpatch-style rendering, so the only way to get detail or smooth curves is to have lots of polygons.

Daz is experimenting with having LOD versions of their newer characters, so you'd be able to have lower-poly versions for your rendering pleasure.

daforum
10-05-2008, 05:57 AM
What I show in the first demo video barely do the tools justice. Theres a lot more that it does which Ill show in the next video.
PLK worked in 9.3 all the way to the latest 9.5. Theres one or two new aspects that are LW9.5 specfic though.

Thanks Larry. :) I'm going to upgrade to LW9.5 when the final version is available for Mac users like myself so anything specific to that version will not be a problem.

Stel
10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Geiger DAZ specifically created V4.2 with a low poly variant. As you can figure, there is a race to integrate their content into mainstream applications and they are both (DAZ and Poser) working on Collada etc so that they can integrate - suggest you look to the low poly version of Victoria - I don't know how may she has, but it is a lot less than the millions in the full version.

Digital Hermit
10-05-2008, 09:04 PM
Larry, is the importer limited to poser figures alone, or does it import any poser object and assets using the same process? In addition, does it import muliple objects from the poser scene?

That was one of the limits I found when using the greenbriar plugin at the time I purchased it.

(btw - when trying to view your 2nd "Poser to LW" clip, I hear your voice normally but the clip plays fast?)

Thanx!

SplineGod
10-05-2008, 09:49 PM
The 2nd video had problems after uploading. Im fixing it ATM.
It doesnt import any poser assets. Ive used it to import all kinds of things. It will also import lights and cameras. I have to check and see about importing multiple objects.

Digital Hermit
10-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Geiger DAZ specifically created V4.2 with a low poly variant. As you can figure, there is a race to integrate their content into mainstream applications and they are both (DAZ and Poser) working on Collada etc so that they can integrate - suggest you look to the low poly version of Victoria - I don't know how may she has, but it is a lot less than the millions in the full version.

Stel,

Millions of poly's? That maybe a little overboard - heh.

I checked both V4.1 and V4.2 and they have the same "LW" polycount - 66024.

Also, I am not finding that low-poly version, so could you post a link to it?

Thanx :D

Digital Hermit
10-05-2008, 10:05 PM
The 2nd video had problems after uploading. Im fixing it ATM.
It doesnt import any poser assets. Ive used it to import all kinds of things. It will also import lights and cameras. I have to check and see about importing multiple objects.

Oops, sorry I may have generalized the word assets. Specifically I mean attached props or conformed figures i.e hair, clothes. :)

Thanx!

SplineGod
10-05-2008, 11:04 PM
I dont believe it supports attached props though Ive never had a problem importing those and reapplying them. I also tend to kill off any of the geometry under the clothes to keep the polygon count somewhat manageable.

I just uploaded a 2nd video showing a few more options.
http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1278/Poser-to-Lightwave-Demo-Pt2/
Use this link to subscribe to additional video updates:
http://www.vfxcast.com/my_subscriptions&tag=SplineGod&type=user

Digital Hermit
10-06-2008, 01:19 AM
I dont believe it supports attached props though Ive never had a problem importing those and reapplying them. I also tend to kill off any of the geometry under the clothes to keep the polygon count somewhat manageable.[/url]

Right, I am thinking that is the same process (props wise) I would go about doing anyway.

What I like about this latest demo is the native import into LW, thus avoiding ties to Poser as a hosting (animation) program. Nevertheless, at the same time, you can utilize the Poser pose/walk cycles files and/or a BVH files to modify the bones and geometry in LW. This seems to fit the bill, in order to "get an animation start" and then be able to tweak it in LW.

Two questions:

First, it seems that when one adds a new pose, it shows that it modifies the geometry at the 0 key frame. But, can you move along the LW time line and add another pose, for LW to interpolate the poses, or does the newer added pose reset at 0 frame? If so, it would seem that a merge function would have to be developed or using some other convention, that I am not familiar.

Second, are Poser files what the program recognizes or is it interoperable with Daz Studio files?

Thanx again; great videos Larry. Looking forward to this plugin! :thumbsup:

SplineGod
10-06-2008, 01:30 AM
To be honest I dont use the poser poses.
In the productions Ive used PLK I load the character, the skeleton, add hold bones etc then apply IKBoost.
IKBoost allows you to reset the pose on a character to a rest pose on any frame so I usually do this on frame 0 if I need to modify the rig/add or tweak hold bones.
If I were to use any of the poser poses I would again use IKBoost to load the pose in then resave that pose as such from within IKBoost. Within IKBoost I can slide the poses immediately to another keyframe or save it as I mentioned.
IKBoost also allows me to save poses from a whole rig or any part of a rig or I can copy poses and motions directly between rigs or mirror them on the same rig or different rigs. Its a very flexible and powerful workflow. I also like that I can import a walk or run cycle then extend it quite easily with IKB then clone the character and slightly offset the timing quickly to create crowds.
I havent yet tried importing motions from poser using mdd files. With the DPKit theres a lot flexibility with being able to playback mdds using envelopes.

joseburgos
10-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Looks like I need to learn how to use IKBoost.

I want this PLK plug-in.

Take care,

SplineGod
10-06-2008, 12:39 PM
PLK and IKBoost make a great combination. Ill post up another video soon showing some basic things I can do with IKB and motions imported via PLK.

wp_capozzi
10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Very interesting. Is this plugin fully functional with Poser 6 and/or Poser 4 Pro Pack? Is there anything in it that is dependant on Poser, or is it mostly for reading CR2 and other Poser files into Lightwave?

Thanks,
Bill C.

joseburgos
10-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Very interesting. Is this plugin fully functional with Poser 6 and/or Poser 4 Pro Pack? Is there anything in it that is dependant on Poser, or is it mostly for reading CR2 and other Poser files into Lightwave?

Thanks,
Bill C.

If you read from the start of the thread, Larry says it is not necessary to own Poser but it could help it it's use.
Like the walk designer, Poser's way of using Mocap, etc.
But not needed to work.

Take care,

SplineGod
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Thats right. I believe PLK works fine with Poser 4 on up. As Jose said, you dont need poser to import the content, textures, morphs, bones, weight maps etc.
If you want to be able to import motions in the form or morph data, bones, mdd files you will need poser.
Poser also does a decent job of importing mocap data and applying it to a character. That too can be imported from poser using PLK.
This when used with IKBoost is very powerful.

Jose,
If youre interested in IKB I would check out the free videos on Vfxcast. Do a search under IKBoost. :)

Korvar
10-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Would you be able to use Daz|Studio? That can export in Poser format if required.

joseburgos
10-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Would you be able to use Daz|Studio? That can export in Poser format if required.

Daz Studio does not save a Poser scene format.
But Daz content is no problem.

Stel
10-06-2008, 05:25 PM
Hermit - this is included with V4.2 and shows up as V4.2 EZ

Std has 55,000 poly's (Sorry, millions was my twisted attempt at humour :))

EZ has somewhat less (although I am not sure exactly how many)

OOZZEE
10-06-2008, 07:37 PM
how long does it take to get the email validation from that site VFXCOM

seems its not sending me anything and my email was fine.

anyone know ?

joseburgos
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Jose,
If youre interested in IKB I would check out the free videos on Vfxcast. Do a search under IKBoost. :)

I'm watching them now and will continue in the morning.
Thank you very much for these videos,

SplineGod
10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
how long does it take to get the email validation from that site VFXCOM

seems its not sending me anything and my email was fine.

anyone know ?

The validation from vfxcast.com typically is immediate. I would contact them if it takes any longer.

SplineGod
10-07-2008, 02:32 AM

Havent tried that but Daz assets can be imported directly in terms of model, texture, morphs, bones etc. If motions could be exported in the proper formats it should work with that too.

Korvar
10-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Daz Studio does not save a Poser scene format.
But Daz content is no problem.

There are Daz scripts that will export poses etc. in Poser format. Don't think there's one for entire scenes.

SplineGod
10-07-2008, 05:05 AM
Are those scripts free?

joseburgos
10-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Free scripts;
Pose exorter for Daz Studio http://free.daz3d.com/free_weekly/detail.php?free_id=236
Prop to Poser file http://www.4shared.com/dir/722776/10801f63/DS_Scripts.html
(This site also has a slew of other free scripts).

Take care,

starbase1
10-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Never mind the videos, where's the product? How much?

axaboss
10-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Never mind the videos, where's the product? How much?

I know how you feel about this particular plugin. I'm anxious too. I actually need it for a project now, but might have to settle for another method if I don't see this product by the end of the week.

SplineGod
10-07-2008, 02:45 PM
Ive heard tentatively that it should be out by the end of the week. If you feel you need it ASAP please email me and Ill see what can be done. :)

AmigaNewTek
10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Register here first:
www.vfxcast.com

View the first video here:

Ill be posting up more videos ASAP. :)

Great tutorial, as always.

Ciao

SplineGod
10-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks! :)

tawolf
10-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Great Vids Larry

SplineGod
10-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Thanks, things are moving along with the release of PLK. Should be very soon now. :)

Roadwarrior
10-08-2008, 05:10 PM
Great videos as always Larry!

Nice one!:thumbsup:

axaboss
10-08-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks, things are moving along with the release of PLK. Should be very soon now. :)

Larry, I PMed you, but I haven't gotten a response. But, it sounds like a possible release this week. Thanks for the video tuts. Hoping to see more advance tutorials in the future, using this plugin along with lw tools.

SplineGod
10-08-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey Axaboss. Got your email too. Im pretty sure it will be this week or weekend worst case. :)

axaboss
10-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Good news!

mccabejc
10-08-2008, 06:51 PM
For those of you who are considering this plugin, could you give me your ideas on why you'd use it? May be a dumb question (I just got off work and my brain isn't working too well...), but I can't think of what you can do better in LW than Poser/Carrara/DAZ Studio.

Looks like with this plugin you still need to do some bone adding/tweaking, and you'll probably have to rebuild any scenes from scratch in LW.

I guess one benefit in LW is improved animation, though I haven't used the NLA in LW in a long time. And last time I tried it had some serious drawbacks that made it less than useful.

Cloth in LW, IMO, is way behind Poser's cloth. But of course LW's renderer is better, and network rendering is way better in LW. But otherwise I'm stumped...

Digital Hermit
10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Do you use those apps professionally to present a final animated product?

If you are a hobbyist then I would understand your statement. If not... then I am stumped by your "'professional" observations.

SplineGod
10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Overall LW is much better for production work then any of the others.
Ive had to use Poser in production before and its not at all IMO suited for serious production work. Its got way too many issues. Rigging, lighting, animating, surfacing, rendering, distributed rendering are far better in LW.
Youre always going to have to do some tweaking on rigs to get good deformations etc but in poser its a real pain.
I think motionmixer in LW works fine for what it is. I dont typically animate that way anyways.
If you want the simplicity of posing etc that poser or daz has IKBoost fills the bill beautifully.
Im also going to disagree about the cloth. Posers is ok for simple things but you have far less controllability then what you get with LW.
PLK also allows poser scenes to be imported. It also allows you to export from LW to Poser as well.
The biggest thing for me with PLK is that it opens up a ton of free and cheap assets to LW users.

starbase1
10-08-2008, 11:43 PM
For those of you who are considering this plugin, could you give me your ideas on why you'd use it? May be a dumb question (I just got off work and my brain isn't working too well...), but I can't think of what you can do better in LW than Poser/Carrara/DAZ Studio.

I find LW hugely massively easier to use than Daz or Poser, and I know it a LOT better. I can't model people and I want access to poser format content.

SplineGod
10-09-2008, 12:20 AM
The nice thing is that PLK works with Daz or Poser content. Theres quite a bit of free content available. You dont even need Poser if you just want to load object, textures, morphs and bones.

JMCarrigan
10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
STARBASE1: I find LW hugely massively easier to use than Daz or Poser, and I know it's a LOT better. I can't model people and I want access to poser format content.

SPLINEGOD: The nice thing is that PLK works with Daz or Poser content. There's quite a bit of free content available. You don't even need Poser if you just want to load object, textures, morphs and bones.

Yeah! What they said!

Stel
10-09-2008, 05:21 PM
Spline release by the weekend (maybe) - got it.

Released through where?

SplineGod
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Thru Kurvstudios :)

joseburgos
10-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Thru Kurvstudios :)

Ahhhh
Makes sense now.
Very happy as I feel this plug-in will be well supported and advanced fast track :)

Take care,

SplineGod
10-10-2008, 09:45 PM
very, VERY soon. Id say within 3 days or so. :)

tawolf
10-11-2008, 07:52 AM
Larry Hello:

Can you give me a few details about character exchange.

1. Does the plugin move exact weight maps or extrapolations?
2. Does the plugin move exact morphed pz3 files and established morphs?
3. Do the skelegons come in with proper hierarchy established?
4. Does it include quadpeds, horses, dogs, cats, fish?
5. Do the UV maps transfer, or a single UV per character?

Maybe this is to much, but I've invested a lot of energy and money on solutions that only half work especially on the weight map and texture issue.

Anyway don,t let this distract you from getting this product ready to go.

Sincerly
Tawolf

SplineGod
10-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Hey Tawolf,
1. It brings in exact weight maps as well as selection sets.
2. It brings morphs that are embedded in the character file as a cr2 file rather then crz. It also supports morph INJ files.
3. Skeletons are imported directly as bones and not skelegons. The heirarchies come in intact.
4. Yes as long as the rigs follow standard Poser convention though the same applies to characters as well.
5. Each surface comes in with a single UV map. So the Body surface would have its own UV map, the head, scalp, etc.

This particular solution has been a lifesaver for me. Ive used it on two large productions and being able to quickly and easily import characters, textures, bones, motions etc saved me a huge amount of headache.

axaboss
10-11-2008, 10:46 AM
I've been waiting for a decent plugin to do all these things since Poser Pro 4 broke after a newer version of LightWave (v8?) was released. Many other 3D programs have access to large 3D libraries of textured human models with motions and poses. Poser 7 even supports many of them.

The workarounds to import models with UV maps and motions in LightWave is preposterous, until now, with PtoLW. I don't want to make stylistic original models for my clients because they don't care. They are looking for a container (human model) to explain a concept or an idea, such as Larry's Animal Planet sample of a rabies infection.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and use it on many different projects including industrials, medical, architectural visualizations, simulations, scientific... the list goes on.

tawolf
10-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Larry;

Like everyone else watching this post, you're the man!

Right now, for example, I am trying to straighten out a character that I imported using the "poser pro-lightwave plugin" that came with PP. No weightmap, no bones, and the most problem-matic zero morph data, which means that I must transfer one morph at a time- well you know the drill.

I am doing a project that uses Mimic for lightwave, so the more morph information that I can get the smoother the sync-up and believe me, your product will save me a ton of time and ($$$$$$$, USD, Denaro, Sheckles, Rupies)

Tawolf

joseburgos
10-13-2008, 05:58 AM
I've been waiting for a decent plugin to do all these things since Poser Pro 4 broke after a newer version of LightWave (v8?) was released. Many other 3D programs have access to large 3D libraries of textured human models with motions and poses. Poser 7 even supports many of them.

The workarounds to import models with UV maps and motions in LightWave is preposterous, until now, with PtoLW. I don't want to make stylistic original models for my clients because they don't care. They are looking for a container (human model) to explain a concept or an idea, such as Larry's Animal Planet sample of a rabies infection.

I can't wait to get my hands on it and use it on many different projects including industrials, medical, architectural visualizations, simulations, scientific... the list goes on.

Poser Pro does work in LW 8 and up.
I use it rarely in LW9.5.

joseburgos
10-13-2008, 06:01 AM
Thanks Larry;

Like everyone else watching this post, you're the man!

Right now, for example, I am trying to straighten out a character that I imported using the "poser pro-lightwave plugin" that came with PP. No weightmap, no bones, and the most problem-matic zero morph data, which means that I must transfer one morph at a time- well you know the drill.

I am doing a project that uses Mimic for lightwave, so the more morph information that I can get the smoother the sync-up and believe me, your product will save me a ton of time and ($$$$$$$, USD, Denaro, Sheckles, Rupies)

Tawolf

I would wait for the new plug-in but if you needed to do this right now, CR2 loader/rigger would get you where you want to be much faster than the your present method.
I use CR2 Loader/Rigger 99.9% of the time when I want to use Daz assets.
The other .1% I use Poser Pro4.

Take care,

SplineGod
10-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Stay tuned today or so.... should be some news... :)

axaboss
10-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Poser Pro does work in LW 8 and up.
I use it rarely in LW9.5.

The LW Layout plugin that comes with Poser Pro 4 does not work in any version of LightWave beyond 7.5. I've tried.

joseburgos
10-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes it does, I would not lie :)

Take care,

joseburgos
10-13-2008, 07:32 PM
There was a PP4 SR3 released a while back that you should have.
Also, you need to re-install the plug-in via the installer and not just copy and paste the plug-in in a new location.

krimpr
10-14-2008, 04:26 AM
[

krimpr
10-14-2008, 04:28 AM
Also, you need to re-install the plug-in via the installer and not just copy and paste the plug-in in a new location.

Quoted for agreement... it works with all versions of LW on my system as well, provided that it's reinstalled; copy/pasting the plugin to a new location and re-adding it through layout's "add plugins" panel won't work :agree:

JMCarrigan
10-14-2008, 10:49 AM

I've got all that but uninstalled everything once I had the new PoserPro with PoserFusion for Lightwave. I remember being unhappy with the state of things then (Poser4 with Pro added) and the new one does bring in a nice model to Lightwave.

Do you have the new PPro so as to compare it to the older one?

And Spline God: where, wha... arrgh can't wait, did I miss...?

axaboss
10-14-2008, 07:26 PM

Thanks for that tip. I was probably ONLY using ADD PLUGINS. How could I possibly think installing the plugins in an expected manner would work?

At this rate, I may have to forego on Larry's PtLW plugin and try to get PoserPro to work. The client is chomping at the bit.

joseburgos
10-15-2008, 07:15 AM
Have you guys tried Greenbriar Studio plug-ins?
http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/index.htm
I have been using them 99% of the time (1% PoserPro) with great success.
Not as slick and robust as the new plug-in from Kurv but works as I hate (hate is not strong enough word) to animate in Poser and CR2Loader allows me to work in LW.

My present work flow;
Set up characters, clothes and props in PoserPro (no animation)
Use CR2Loader to bring into Modeler
Correct eyes surface and delete unnecessary morphs
Load into Layout and use CR2Rigger to create skeleton
Save scene and then export as FBX file
Load FBX into Motion Builder
Animate and save as FBX
Merge new animated FBX file into original scene
Make any changes to lights, surfaces, etc and render.

This new plug-in will make this all faster from what I have viewed in Larry's videos.

Take care,

SplineGod
10-15-2008, 07:53 AM
I know that PLKs release is imminent. For those of you who need it immediatly I would contact KURV studios. :)

axaboss
10-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Have you guys tried Greenbriar Studio plug-ins?
http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/index.htm
I have been using them 99% of the time (1% PoserPro) with great success.
Not as slick and robust as the new plug-in from Kurv but works as I hate (hate is not strong enough word) to animate in Poser and CR2Loader allows me to work in LW.

I haven't used the Greenbriar plugin because of a new set of complexities I hear users are experiencing with that plugin. I don't want the hassle. But, I did manage to get a workflow going, with your help. I got LightWave 9.5 to cooperate with PoserPro4 (SR3). Its a temporary fix until Kurv Studios releases its plugin.

When I upgraded PPro and installed the PosertoLW plugins - a request box asked if I wanted to install into LW 5.6 or 6.0. That was back in 2001. Its scary how time flies.

JMCarrigan
10-15-2008, 08:35 PM
Waaaaaaaaaaagh! Probably can't afford it anyway.

Who said that?!

kurv
10-15-2008, 11:13 PM
Thank you for your patience guys, the plug-in is now available, here are just a few of the benefits.

So What's the Big Deal Here?
Well the big deal here is, you no longer need to own Poser to be able to import Poser, DAZ, or Mimic characters to LightWave 3D. This is an extremely powerful plugin for many LightWave 3D users. Imagine, having hundreds of new characters at your fingertips, today!

What about MDD Files?
Easily compile animated object sequence exported by Poser in a MotionDesigner displacement file (there is also a MDD export utility for Poser).

Can PLK Export Geometry?
Yes, export modified geometry properly as an obj file for use in Poser.

What About Poser, Poses?
Import Poser poses/animations from Poser scene, pose, hand or face files, to LW Object with bones and/or morphs in Layout (DAZ and Mimic compatible).

Get more information, a lot more.... here

http://www.kurvstudios.com/software/

rakker16mm
10-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Wes,

Is there any prospect for a Mac version of PLK?

milau
10-16-2008, 02:07 AM
Is there 64-bit version ?

SplineGod
10-16-2008, 07:26 AM
At this point a 64bit version is probably more feasible then a mac version. It is being looked into. :)

wsantiago
10-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Does it come with documentation or is it another 'use it if you can plugin'?

axaboss
10-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Apparently, they have an online help system in place.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/software/poser_mesh_loader.php

Regardless of platform, 32 or 64bit, or the availability of multi-flavored documentation, I ordered a copy. The info on the website convinced me that this plugin can do all the things I need to get poser humans into my projects.

I can see why Wes took a while to make the plugin available. I hope SplineGod continues making video tutorials centered around this plugin and its advance uses.

3dworks
10-16-2008, 12:18 PM
what, no mac version?? :thumbsdow

calilifestyle
10-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I have to ask how does this work with Daz3d items. i guess what mean are daz items the same as poser. Or do you just open daz3d items in daz studio and export from there as pose asset and then import into lwo

Paul24
10-16-2008, 01:41 PM
At this point a 64bit version is probably more feasible then a mac version. It is being looked into. :)

So I have to wait a little longer or do you know if the 32 bit plugin works on a 64 bit machine?

Ckeri
10-16-2008, 02:29 PM
So I have to wait a little longer or do you know if the 32 bit plugin works on a 64 bit machine?

I'm sure it works just like any other 32bit plugin, you just have to use x86 version of Lightwave.

rakker16mm
10-16-2008, 03:04 PM
what, no mac version?? :thumbsdow

I know. It sad because it would have saved me some time on my current project. Plus I might finally get some use out of Poser which takes up space on my hard drive. LOL

kurv
10-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Wes,

Is there any prospect for a Mac version of PLK?

We are working on it, but the Mac version may be out of reach... we will have more details for you later. Sorry for the vagueness.

kurv
10-16-2008, 03:53 PM
When you import the skeleton, etc., into Layout, is everything ready to go? Is FK/IK set or do you have to set up the bones? And... what kind of documentation does this come with? Is there a PDF we can print out and review away from the computer while we "relax?"

Thanks!

We do have some docs, they are also available online if you care to look over them before you buy.

Also, we have made the first of many support videos available freely online at a third party site, vfx cast - www.vfxcast.com.

http://www.vfxcast.com/media/1278/Poser_to_Lightwave_Demo_Pt2/

Yes, before anyone complains, they do make you register first, but we and several others have been beta testers for them and no one that I know of has complained about them.

But Like I said, online docs are here, these are the same as what you get when you buy the plug-in.

http://www.kurvstudios.com/software/

I have attached the read me file here as well.

We are trying our best NOT to make this a use if you can plug-in :)

calilifestyle
10-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Okay... I'll repeat my questions:

When you import the skeleton, etc., into Layout, is everything ready to go? Is FK/IK set or do you have to set up the bones? And... what kind of documentation does this come with? Is there a PDF we can print out and review away from the computer while we "relax?"

Thanks!

If this info is not available, will there be a demo?

If you watch the 1st and 2nd videos that SplinG has, you can see how bones are imported and motions.

BTW you guys have to post those videos at place where you dont have to register to view.

kurv
10-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Support is located here

http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

daforum
10-16-2008, 05:32 PM
We are working on it, but the Mac version may be out of reach... we will have more details for you later. Sorry for the vagueness.

It's a shame there isn't a Mac version available at the same time as the
Windows release, as I was getting ready to purchase PLK to be able to work with Poser content just like many Mac users out there. :oye:

Stel
10-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Maybe this is a simple question but.

How does this plugin compare to the new poserpro's poser fusion for LW?

kurv
10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
If you watch the 1st and 2nd videos that SplinG has, you can see how bones are imported and motions.

BTW you guys have to post those videos at place where you dont have to register to view.

Well we sort of have a deal with vfx cast. They contacted us a while back and said they were not getting much love with others that had content. So we agreed to work with them, we believe the site will take off.

REgistering is not that big of a deal is it.... your registered here :)

kurv
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
It's a shame there isn't a Mac version available at the same time as the
Windows release, as I was getting ready to purchase PLK to be able to work with Poser content just like many Mac users out there. :oye:

Sorry, were working on a fix but we have to see how many mac users really want it. Usually the number of Mac users is very small in comparison. If the porting of it was easy, we would already have it done, we do want to work with the Mac community :).

kurv
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Maybe this is a simple question but.

How does this plugin compare to the new poserpro's poser fusion for LW?

From what I understand, that plugin only imports mesh into LW. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but ours does much much more. Also, it it does not cost 500.00.

I don't want to discourage you from buying Poser or Poser Pro, both packages are incredible at what they do. But if your only buying PPro for this plugin, then PLK is a better answer for you.

joseburgos
10-16-2008, 08:28 PM
It is a point deformation program something like PMG.
You animate in Poser, save your scene and load into LW.
If you want it changed, you correct in Poser, save and then refresh the plug-in in LW (or it auto refreshes).
At least that is how the PoserPro4 works.

SplineGod
10-16-2008, 10:12 PM
I would never animate in Poser. Way too primitive and clunky for me.
PLK can also allow you to export a sequence from poser and import it into LW as an mdd file.

rcr62
10-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Well we sort of have a deal with vfx cast. They contacted us a while back and said they were not getting much love with others that had content. So we agreed to work with them, we believe the site will take off.

REgistering is not that big of a deal is it.... your registered here :)

If their registration/login system worked better it would be not big deal.

axaboss
10-17-2008, 03:48 PM
If their registration/login system worked better it would be not big deal.

So true. The problem is that when you go back to the site after you clean out your browser's cache and cookies - the site logs you in as a guest and does not give you the option to log in or register. I have to go to the homepage and enter my info and then go look for the video again. Annoying to say the least.

Wes should get them to fix that problem. If I'm logged out it should take me to the video page, without showing the video, and ask for my ID and password, after entering the info I should be able to see the video. The current version of this site is not user friendly. I will not visit the site unless I absolutely have to.

darkMason
10-17-2008, 04:34 PM
I would like to know once someone has had a chance to try this (PLK) with DAZs Victoria 4.2. Greenbriar's plug-ins work with V4.0, but have problems with V4.1 and V4.2 that render them useless. I had a couple conversations with David at the time, and he said he would look into it (Feb this year). I pinged him this summer, but no answer.

Verlon
10-17-2008, 09:45 PM
I have greenbriar and Vicki 4.2.

PLK is on the wish list, but going to have to wait. I have too much going on right now.

Oooh it is very tempting.

Maybe Kurv will send out one of the spiffy coupons to faithful customers soon. :devil:

machbeowulf
10-17-2008, 11:28 PM
I would like to know once someone has had a chance to try this (PLK) with DAZs Victoria 4.2. Greenbriar's plug-ins work with V4.0, but have problems with V4.1 and V4.2 that render them useless. I had a couple conversations with David at the time, and he said he would look into it (Feb this year). I pinged him this summer, but no answer.

PLK is all good. From installation, in 1/2 hour, I had a V4.2 model, with working rig in Layout. With one eye shut, I went back to modeler and applied FiberFX to a new surface on V4.2 head, and sure enough ... it worked perfectly !!! I hope to have something suitable to post this weekend.

kurv
10-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Wanted to let you know as soon as possible. With all the questions here about PLK.... we will be hosting a FREE live session on it Sunday at noon CST / 10am Pacific.

PLK - Poser to LihtWave 3D Kit Free training session, requires registreation to save your place, seats are limited.

To register, simply go to http://kurvstudios.webex.com

Ask Larry questions live, here is your chance!

Thanks!

kurv
10-17-2008, 11:33 PM
I have greenbriar and Vicki 4.2.

PLK is on the wish list, but going to have to wait. I have too much going on right now.

Oooh it is very tempting.

Maybe Kurv will send out one of the spiffy coupons to faithful customers soon. :devil:

Sorry we can not coupon this software... sorry if we could we would.

daforum
10-18-2008, 05:00 AM
Sorry, were working on a fix but we have to see how many mac users really want it. Usually the number of Mac users is very small in comparison. If the porting of it was easy, we would already have it done, we do want to work with the Mac community :).

Count me in Wes. I will definately purchase this as it looks like a great kit to use.

JamesCurtis
10-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Will definately be getting the plugin, but I will have to wait about 2-3 weeks until I get a check from a client in. I have registered for the free class though!!

3dworks
10-18-2008, 10:35 AM

i'm definitely interested, but at this price tag, it would depend on a job needing this workflow to buy the plugin - which is no too unlikely ;)

markus

mcansler
10-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Another Mac user chiming in. I want this plug :)

gkbaxter
10-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Another vote for a Mac version :thumbsup:

darkMason
10-18-2008, 03:02 PM

PLK is all good. From installation, in 1/2 hour, I had a V4.2 model, with working rig in Layout. With one eye shut, I went back to modeler and applied FiberFX to a new surface on V4.2 head, and sure enough ... it worked perfectly !!! I hope to have something suitable to post this weekend.

Thanks machbeowulf ...

rakker16mm
10-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Yes I definitely would buy a Mac version of this plugin. Most of my paying jobs involve animating for engineers. Sometimes a little CA is required but I don't want to spend a lot of time on it because my clients aren't going to appreciate the extra effort. I could see this plugin saving me a lot of work over several projects.

JamesCurtis
10-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm wanting to do a childrens book story that I've been planning for years. Its a story that had its origination when I was in college [oh so many years ago!!].

The plugin would really help me because I want the control of LW for renders and model modifications. I hate the animation interface of Poser and its renderer as well, but love what's available model and prop-wise. Besides, I know LW pretty well and it works better for me. The project may also blossom into an animated 30min. short for Blu-ray/DVD distribution, which is another reason for wanting/getting the plugin.

starbase1
10-19-2008, 02:17 AM
The plugin would really help me because I want the control of LW for renders and model modifications. I hate the animation interface of Poser and its renderer as well, but love what's available model and prop-wise. Besides, I know LW pretty well and it works better for me.

That's a good summary of my view too.

What's the copy protection / DRM on the plugin?
(I ask because I have had problems before when moving to a new PC only to find the plugin supplier has vanished so I can't ***ing use it!)

Nick

SplineGod
10-19-2008, 02:40 AM
The plugin is tied to your LW dongle.

JohnMarchant
10-19-2008, 05:17 AM
Will be glad when a 64bit version is available :):):)

joseburgos
10-19-2008, 06:38 AM
Wanted to let you know as soon as possible. With all the questions here about PLK.... we will be hosting a FREE live session on it Sunday at noon CST / 10am Pacific.

PLK - Poser to LihtWave 3D Kit Free training session, requires registreation to save your place, seats are limited.

To register, simply go to http://kurvstudios.webex.com

Ask Larry questions live, here is your chance!

Thanks!

I registered and I want to complement you guys at Kurv for a extremely professional "webex" registration process.
From an easy to view list of sessions, a simple registration form and the great ability to add the session to my calendar.
Very polished :beerchug:

lwaddict
10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm in.

Will purchase this when I get home for my shop.

I primarily use Poser for stuntmen replacements and this is just going to streamline the flow.

Watched one video, that's good enough for me at this price.

Sooooo much cheaper than bone setting.

Hang in there,

LW

nomad108
10-21-2008, 05:19 AM
Very nice tool! I'm looking forward to more training videos, but I've had a great time playing around with it so far. I've done in minutes what I had been spending weeks to accomplish! :thumbsup:

SplineGod
10-21-2008, 07:23 AM
It is a huge timesaver. Ill be posting up more videos. For those of you who missed the free class I did, I was showing how to import mocap via PLK and editing it using IKBoost. The rebroadcst should be up pretty soon.

lwaddict
10-21-2008, 07:40 AM
Excellent and THANKS!

I didn't get the email about the class until it was too late.

This videos are great.

JMCarrigan
10-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by machbeowulf
PLK is all good. From ...and applied FiberFX to a new surface on V4.2 head, and sure enough ... it worked perfectly !!! I hope to have something suitable to post this weekend.

Hey Machbeowulf. Are you saying that after you brought V4.2 in, you made a new surface by selecting polygons, or? (I've been tied up, but I will be getting to it, to find out for myself...) Oh. I saw something about using a uv map of the head surface to control where the fibers grow too! Very cool.

SplineGod
10-22-2008, 12:49 PM
You can use that method or import the actual hair objects with the textures. Poser also has hair pieces composed of hair guides similar to what fiberfx creates for its own hair system. These can be imported into LW and used with fiberfx.

wsantiago
10-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Anybody tried bringing in M4 bones from the free M4 model at DAZ. It gives me "This option only applies when editing bones." error. When I click OK the plug-in exits. It creates the BODY null but no bones are created.

SplineGod
10-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Im not sure if the new M4 uses the same bone structure as M3 or similar models. I know that the latest update to PLK adresses some of the new morph types. Try importing the M3 skeleton.

machbeowulf
10-23-2008, 11:14 AM
I will be testing the M4 tonight. My V4.2 imports beautifully without morphs. As soon as I add morphs though, modeler crashes. Just wondering if anyone has had luck using morphs with V4.2 I have tried baking the phonemes to the head using PLK poser script. Still no go. Basically I want to be able to achieve speech ... but not having much luck.
Any advice would be much appreciated !!!

Michael, yes, just selected polygons in modeler and gave them new surface name and grew fiber guides from that new surface.

So far, other that the V4.2 morphs themselves, PLK has loaded literally everything I have tried to through at it !!! The amount of content that is now available to LW is profound.

SplineGod
10-23-2008, 11:57 AM
We are testing M4. The new morphs I believe are supported in the next update.

wsantiago
10-23-2008, 12:55 PM
Outstanding. Looking Forward To The Next Update.

SplineGod
10-23-2008, 02:10 PM
While this is being looked at try resaving it in poser as a cr2 file if you have poser.

machbeowulf
10-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Larry,
Just found the link you posted in the Daz forums for PLK support:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13043#post13043
and I see very few postings there ... I really want to make it clear that my post about issues with V4.2 morphs in this thread is NOT a complaint of any form. My first comment to you that PLK is brilliant still stands. I just didn't find my way to the Kurv support ... it must be in an email that I missed. What I really like about PLK is that I feel like I am still LW focused. It's introduced me to IK Boost ... am having a great deal of fun and in future will post PLK issues to Kurv support and share whatever solutions are offered here. Thanks again for the great session last Sunday ... it was an eye opener !!! My experience with Poserfusion drove me to Kurv studios ... am happy it did !!!

SplineGod
10-23-2008, 10:50 PM
Glad to hear it. Its too bad not enough people know whats possible with IKBoost...esp when editing mocap. :)

LW_Will
10-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Larry, you should contact the guys from The Embassy and their work on IRON MAN.

Mike_RB was saying that they had a hard time taking mocap, animating over it and then redirecting the whole thing to the hi-res model. So, they used XSI.

You can do that easily in Lightwave3D with IK Booster and LW's innate coolness, right?

SplineGod
10-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Getting mocap into LW isnt difficult. I dont have a problem doing it.Editing it with IKBoost is pretty easy to do as well. Outside of IKB I dont know of easier ways to do it.

mccabejc
10-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Could someone confirm for me...

By "importing DAZ content", do they mean .daz scene files, or just the fact that Poser and DAZ content are identical (ie, .cr2 files, etc.)

SplineGod
10-25-2008, 10:23 AM
It doesnt import .daz scene files.

mccabejc
10-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks Larry...

One more question. How does it handle clothing on a character? The Poser-type applications have a "Conform To" feature, and the clothing, AFIK, is a boned mesh that resides with the character mesh somehow.

Depending on how it handles this, I'm thinking that one huge benefit of PLK might be the ability to tweak multiple layers/objects in Modeler, so that you could easily modify/fit clothing on a character.

Korvar
10-25-2008, 11:58 AM
I think "conform to" is pretty much the same as the clothing object using the same bones as the character object...

JMCarrigan
10-25-2008, 08:07 PM
Larry, I've finally got a moment to begin with the PLK plugs and would like to know if you have any step by step written tutorials. The videos on VFX - on my machine - take so long to load and then I hear a word or two, and it's driving me....

Anyway. WilliamVaughn's Vids move right along so I assume it's the hosting site that's the problemo. So. Whadaya say? Huh? Got any? Huh? Please.

SplineGod
10-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Im not sure what the problem might be. Its always run pretty smooth for me. I havent had anyone else report any issues.
I have no plans to do any written tutorials. Its a lot of work for a very small amount of information. With the videos I can cover a lot of ground in 10 minutes that would take days to produce in a written format. You might be able to download the videos somehow. You might also report your issues to vfxcast. Right between what Ive produced and what weve covered in the free demo classes on PLK theres literally several hours of material. The videos from the free classes are being uploaded to vfxcast by KURV. You might email him and see what he might be able to do. :)

SplineGod
10-25-2008, 09:03 PM
Yea, what he said :)

JMCarrigan
10-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the info! I'll giver a whirl.

JMCarrigan
10-25-2008, 09:44 PM
I see that, once it plays through once, it then plays well. It would be nice to save it. I use Firefox and I can't seem to find the temporary file that is the video. Any idea where that it located. Thanks ahead.

JamesCurtis
10-26-2008, 12:22 PM
I was wondering the same thing, I'm using firefox as well.

starbase1
10-26-2008, 01:33 PM
There are a multitude of Firefox plug-ins for capturing online video, just follow the link from your browser, under tools.

And while you are there, grab 'adblock plus', which is on its own a great reason to use Firefox...

Nick

JMCarrigan
10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks Megalodon and Starbase1. I already looked for *.flv. None there. So I'll check out those plugs.

wsantiago
10-27-2008, 12:05 PM
Try Download Helper, It works for me.

JamesCurtis
10-27-2008, 11:40 PM
Actually, Download Helper is what I have, but I'd still prefer to be able to download videro files from a real dload link, because sometimes Download Helper puts up several names/links and it's not easy to tell which is the real one to dload.

safetyman
10-28-2008, 06:20 AM
I use IE 7 with IE Pro plugin --> http://www.download.com/IE7Pro/3000-12777_4-10649334.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10888580. At Youtube, it gives you a link to download the video, but it may not work at VFXCast though, not sure.

You could also use the Opera browser and go to Tools>Advanced>Cache and get it from there (usually there is a .tmp file that is actually the video and just change the .tmp to .flv after you download it).

JMCarrigan
11-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Larry! I loaded Vicki after the first tutorial, loaded skeleton, Great. I was just now trying the 2nd tut with all the morphs and modeler crashed on me. The model I was loading is V4.2 with enoungh morphs to make her male and about 4 females plus all the faces etc.

SplineGod
11-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey Mr J.
Could you repost this in the support forum on KURV?
The developer does watch that as well.
http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13092#post13092
Have you tried pulling the morphs one at a time or in smaller groups to see what it might be?
Also which version of PLK are you using?

JMCarrigan
11-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Hey! The mesh loader is v 1.02 And I'll do that (send to kurv). Yeah. I'm working on troubleshooting it as I run back and forth outa the gallery area where I'm working ona counter. (sales type) Thanks.

JMCarrigan
11-01-2008, 06:29 PM
waita minute. It looks like I didn't install the latest! 1.04?

JMCarrigan
11-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Arrrgh. Still not working. Will send to Kurv. Thanks.

JMCarrigan
11-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Well here "she" is - in Lightwave with a skeleton I have only minimal ideas how to use. Just one pass and that's a hedgehog hat, not hair!

joseburgos
11-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Will there be any working weightmaps shared for some of the most used characters?
Like V4, M4, etc.

SplineGod
11-02-2008, 07:16 AM
I believe its being looked into. :)

joseburgos
11-02-2008, 08:24 AM
That is great and hope it comes soon.

So far the only thing I like better from CR2Loader is the ability to design my start character in Poser with clothes and then save the scene file and load that into Modeler using CR2Loader.
This way I don't have to load all the separate geometry and save off a separate file for including morphs.
But other than that, this is much faster at everything else.

Only 2nd day using the plug-in but already like it :)

Take care,

joseburgos
11-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Loading skeleton problem.
If I leave axis correction enabled, my bones load wrong but if I disable it, it loads fine.
Here is the top camera capture with two skeletons to show what I mean.

Am I doing something wrong?
PS Simon casual crz file was used.

Thanks in advance,

SplineGod
11-02-2008, 09:24 AM
I normally use it with axis correction off. Part of this depends on whether you plan to use only weight maps or mostly bone influence.
You can decrease the rest length on those wrist bones.
Also if you have any issues that need reporting please do so here:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13101

JMCarrigan
11-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Hey Mr J.
Could you repost this in the support forum on KURV?
The developer does watch that as well.
http://www.kurvstudios.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13092#post13092
Have you tried pulling the morphs one at a time or in smaller groups to see what it might be?
Also which version of PLK are you using?

The forum has been down all day - at least to me - and I am looking for that update you mentioned Larry. In the meantime - having fun.....

kurv
11-05-2008, 05:14 PM
The forum has been up all day, what do you get when you try to access it?

Update is coming tomorrow BTW :D

JMCarrigan
11-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Now it's working! What I got was a message that said that the servers were busy and to try back later. Hmmmm. So, Wes, is there an area where one can go and download the latest fixes of the PLK? Thanky.

JMCarrigan
11-05-2008, 05:39 PM
Oops - I musta didn't read your whole post before I started answering. Tomorrow. Cool.

JMCarrigan
11-05-2008, 09:08 PM
Here's a screen grab of what's been happening when I load a skeleton with plk. The forearm and hand bones don't seem right to me. I'm trying to figure out how to straighten it up etc.

SplineGod
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
Thats been fixed. You can select the forearm bone and use joint move to move the tip back up to its child.

joseburgos
11-06-2008, 06:33 AM
I got the same error most of yesterday "Server Busy".
Started to work late in the afternoon.

joseburgos
11-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Here's a screen grab of what's been happening when I load a skeleton with plk. The forearm and hand bones don't seem right to me. I'm trying to figure out how to straighten it up etc.

Un-Checking "axis correction" when loading the skeleton and this seems to fix this for me.

JMCarrigan
11-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Un-Checking "axis correction" when loading the skeleton and this seems to fix this for me.

I thought I did but thanks.

JMCarrigan
11-06-2008, 10:32 AM

D'oh! Axis correction was the only one I left corrected and you're right: It fixed that problem. I still have 1.04 though so........waitin'

wsantiago
11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
1.04 is the latest I got and yes it does have that bug, atleast with M4.

JMCarrigan
11-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Despite the horror show here (reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode) I am very happy at what I am seeing. I just wish I didn't waste money on Poser Pro. PoserFusion is okay in it's way but this (PLK) is much mo' betta.

Now all I gotta do is figure out how to work with bones/joints/ik/fk.

And the meaning of life.

tawolf
11-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey Guys,

Has there been any word on if or when Plk will read a PZ3 file. I am a little bit troubled that I cannot get injected characters (including all morphs) in one shot, It is also disconcerting that I have to track down any special textures that I need for a poser morphed character. I still find myself using my own rigs but I knew that would be the case, the poser rig is great in poser, but when they merge points for export it a whole different animal in LW.

Today I needed a character with sixteen props and twenty plus textures. It took just three steps. 1,Build poser scene, 2) save to pz3, 3) open lightwave pz3 scene, Finito. a complete timelined scene. all with course one Poser Fusion TA-Da

Tell then to read a PZ3 file please

Ted Wolf

joseburgos
11-06-2008, 02:57 PM
Here we go again :(
Who do we send email to report this Larry?

SplineGod
11-06-2008, 05:36 PM
[email protected]

JMCarrigan
11-06-2008, 06:02 PM
Hey Guys,....
Has there been any word on if or when Plk will read a PZ3 file. I am a little bit troubled that I cannot get injected characters (including all morphs) in one shot,
Ted Wolf

I have Poser Pro too and like it for the most part. BUT! try renaming a surface on the model or adding ffx. Well... it hasn't worked for me. They're also very quiet over there about Lightwave's Poser Fusion - I have no info on it at all.

On the other hand, I'm waiting on ver 1.07 of PLK with the hope I can bring in some morphs. Not a deal breaker. Surprizingly I was able to do an AniMate sequence in DAZ Studio. Output to PoserPro, then bring the model and BVH in to Lightwave. Of course the skeleton is a bit whacked out. But I'm gonna get a handle on that.

JMCarrigan
11-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Now I was able to take that anim (shown above in post 188 as a small qt movie) and tweaking limited range make her look better - but as soon as she walks out of frame one, yipes!

joseburgos
11-06-2008, 07:03 PM
I have success on some bones disabling multiply strength by rest length.
Send the mocap and let me see if I can get it to work.

wsantiago
11-06-2008, 09:12 PM
I could be wrong but i think that unless you come up with nice weight maps you will not be able to use this object for any significant animation. The deformation is very ugly with bones alone. So I think everybody that wants to use this objects for animation best hunker down and become efficient at weight maps. I guess i better get started trying to make myself some weight maps. If the day only had 72 hrs.

LW_Will
11-06-2008, 10:16 PM
I could be wrong but i think that unless you come up with nice weight maps you will not be able to use this object for any significant animation. The deformation is very ugly with bones alone. So I think everybody that wants to use this objects for animation best hunker down and become efficient at weight maps. I guess i better get started trying to make myself some weight maps. If the day only had 72 hrs.

I thought you were supposed to use WeightMapBlur on the wmaps... then everything was okay.

SplineGod
11-06-2008, 10:51 PM
Ive had pretty decent success with using either hold bones or simpler weight maps like ones for just the limbs and one for the rest of the body
Ive also found that most of the animal models etc arent really modeled to be animated. We spend some time doing things like giving the animals actual armpits or undercuts between the legs and body. That also helps to solve many of the deformation issues.
On bipeds Ill create weight maps on the legs and blur them Then Ill rotate the legs apart using the weight maps to give me a nice falloff. Ill then import the bones and rotate them to match the mesh. This also helps to reduce the need for weight maps.

wsantiago
11-07-2008, 12:28 AM
Bottom line is that if you want to animate the poser characters in any significant way, you will probably need to import the character, lay a new set of bones in it and create good weight maps. It is my believe that if you go thru the trouble and spent the time doing this correctly you will probably do this once per character and then never worry about it again. If you don't you will end up having to readjust bones and poor weight maps every time you use the characters. Is nice to be able to bring the poser characters into lightwave easily but don't be fool into believing that it is just a matter of bringing the character into modeler, bringing the bones into layout and replacing the null with the character. That just ain't going to cut it. If you try animating this, when you move the arm the armpit goes into the chest, if you move a leg, part of the other leg deforms, if you move the head and neck part of the head dissappears and so on. Just be aware that plenty of work will have to be done once you got the character in lightwave.

joseburgos
11-07-2008, 07:34 AM
I agree and we can share them if we care too or sell them if you come up with the perfect map :)

Take care

SplineGod
11-07-2008, 08:13 AM
Problem is that creating good weight maps dont solve issues that stem from the models not being setup to be defromed. One thing were looking at is using the retopology tools in 3d coat to create lower poly versions of some of the meshes we use on a regular basis so we can at least use subpatches.

When I pull in any character and whether or not I use the poser bones I always test deformatons first with the basic bones. Then I add in hold bones to reduce issues like the armpits collapsing or collapsing around the hips etc.
Only after doing this do I consider moving onto using weight maps because LW bones are deformers and weight maps are setup to modify the normal bone influence on vertices. If you dont have a good bone setup no amount of weight mapping will help. The same goes for the mesh. If its not designed to bend or deform in particular ways no amount of weight mapping will help. Another advantage of hold bones is that they can be animated and automated to adjust to fix or help with
certain deformations.
In terms of order of importance its Mesh flow, bones and weight maps

JMCarrigan
11-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I have success on some bones disabling multiply strength by rest length.
Send the mocap and let me see if I can get it to work.

Here's what I output from DAZ - I can't remember what I did after saving to multiframe pose in Poser!

JMCarrigan
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
OH! PLK's Poser POSE. I gotta load the latest PLK.

JMCarrigan
11-07-2008, 09:28 PM
(Nothing from Jose?) Anyway. Gave up and loaded Poser 7 and finally got SydneyG2 loaded with some of the morphs in the list. I picked all, but only a few came in. Went to Layout and couldn't get the corresponding skeleton to load without crashing after a little message that said something about not being able to find ???help??

I made a quick anim of the morphs though. A quicktime movie less than 600 k. Loads in a second here.

operaguy
11-09-2008, 12:24 PM
Problem is that creating good weight maps dont solve issues that stem from the models not being setup to be defromed. One thing were looking at is using the retopology tools in 3d coat to create lower poly versions of some of the meshes we use on a regular basis so we can at least use subpatches.

...for the mesh. If its not designed to bend or deform in particular ways no amount of weight mapping will help. ....In terms of order of importance its Mesh flow, bones and weight maps

Larry, how would you rate V4 from Daz, or the new M4 (no magnets) on "mesh flow?" Are they well setup to be deformed?

And...would the same be true for their low-res versions, namely the famous LOD 17K V4 object?

Thanks,

::::: Opera :::::

SplineGod
11-09-2008, 02:26 PM
The most difficult thing about working with dense meshes is that its just plain difficult to tweak bad deformations. You lose all the advantages we have from using SubDs. We do get deformation issues on human characters from time to time which can usually be fixed by having the time to really test them well.
Generally we have the most problems with animals.

DiscoBurgess
11-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Let's say I want to be a big idiot, and do most of my scene setup and animation in Poser, and then shift it over to Lightwave for rendering. What's the better tool for that task? PoserFusion or PLK? It sounds like PLK won't let me do that, is that right?

SplineGod
11-11-2008, 11:45 AM
Poser 7 and PLK is cheaper then Poser Pro.
PLK has a lot more import/export options.
Its also updated on a regular basis and has support.
You can import the poses and animations as MDD which is a worst case scenario. Best case is importing it all as skeletal animation, poses, morphs etc.
You can import cameras and lights as well.

DiscoBurgess
11-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Poser 7 and PLK is cheaper then Poser Pro.
PLK has a lot more import/export options.
Its also updated on a regular basis and has support.
You can import the poses and animations as MDD which is a worst case scenario. Best case is importing it all as skeletal animation, poses, morphs etc.
You can import cameras and lights as well.

Sorry if I'm being dim, but what exactly does that mean? Is that a yes, it is possible to do as I suggest? Or are you saying that I need to then take my scene apart and save out motions and stuff to rebuild it in lightwave?

JMCarrigan
11-11-2008, 05:20 PM
DiscoBurgess, I have both. PoserFusion is great excvept for one thing so far for me. Hair. Poserpro with Poserfusion displaces your character. PLK on the other hand does more than I am aware of at this time. It does allow you to rename surfaces and add fiberFx.

I'm using Vicky4.2 etc, and I'm having some trouble in each option. Both are great - both are disturbing. Both get the beautiful textures in! I'm thinking, in the long run, PLK will win for me.

DiscoBurgess
11-12-2008, 12:12 AM
DiscoBurgess, I have both. PoserFusion is great excvept for one thing so far for me. Hair. Poserpro with Poserfusion displaces your character. PLK on the other hand does more than I am aware of at this time. It does allow you to rename surfaces and add fiberFx.

I'm using Vicky4.2 etc, and I'm having some trouble in each option. Both are great - both are disturbing. Both get the beautiful textures in! I'm thinking, in the long run, PLK will win for me.

Thanks, JMCarrigan, that's good to know. With PoserFusion, are you referring to "regular" hair, or dynamic hair?

Also, and I'm sorry if I'm labouring the point, but I'm still unsure as to what the answer is to my original question. People are telling me that PLK is the better package, and I'm sure it is, but can I use it to do what I originally suggested, ie animate a whole scene in Poser, and then just use PLK to load that scene into Lightwave only for rendering? Or is that particular task something that PoserFusion does better?

JMCarrigan
11-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Thanks, JMCarrigan, that's good to know. With PoserFusion, are you referring to "regular" hair, or dynamic hair?

Also, and I'm sorry if I'm labouring the point, but I'm still unsure as to what the answer is to my original question. People are telling me that PLK is the better package, and I'm sure it is, but can I use it to do what I originally suggested, ie animate a whole scene in Poser, and then just use PLK to load that scene into Lightwave only for rendering? Or is that particular task something that PoserFusion does better?

Oh! No, as of now PLK will not load in a whole scene at once. I has to be in pieces.

As far as hair in PoserFusion, I mean saving out a hairless character and then adding it in Lightwave with FFx. The displacement nature of PoserFusion doesn't allow for that. Or adding any knda of prop that stays with it. There are some solutions but have been too "busy" to check it all out. I'm off to Portland and a color calibration seminar this morning. Later.

JMCarrigan
11-13-2008, 07:44 PM
If you're still around DiscoBurgess, here's an anim I just did (partial nudity 'cause I'm not gonna fart around with clothes yet) that is output from PoserPro with the PoserFusion plugin for Lightwave. (I added the stool in After Effects to see if I could.) I think that the polys are displaced very nicely and look a ton better than Simon does in Larry's tutorials.

BUT! If I tried to add. Wait! I think I saw something WV Proton did that might work! Using a map on the model to control where the hair grows.

There's a way also to track a point and stick a prop to that, but....... uh, I had minimal success with that.

So here's this for now. Only 700 k QuickTime.

JMCarrigan
11-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Ps. William Vaughn's method works on a PoserFusion model. This is good. The fibers follow the displaced model. Dynamics - not yet.

This one also has two places that the head (scalp) is mapped and there is only one surface in FFX to apply to, if not the whole model.

JMCarrigan
11-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Feature Request: More than one surface to choose from in FiberFX. ;-)

SplineGod
11-13-2008, 09:36 PM
discoburgess,
Why on earth would you animate in poser? :)
PLK also can import displaced geometry as mdd files.

JMCarrigan
11-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Er, huh?

operaguy
11-14-2008, 02:53 PM
For my part, I already have PoserPro and thus PoserFusion but my intention is on the other end of the slider: just morph up the character and choose a texture in PoserPro, then move that asset into Lightwave, rig, animate and render. I won't need any body morphs to come over, only facial. I am not sure how the morph building will occur yet.

This pipeline interests me because I need a long stream of different characters, and that is where the PoserDaz content shines. I am fully aware the Poser shader tree will not come over, and that is too bad because there is very advanced work on human skin/face reproduction in Poser, and no exaggeration. I am hoping to find people in Lightwave working with advanced realism in skin and facial features.

Meanwhile I have my mesh, deformed as I wanted it, and the texture maps. I am going to try straight .obj to .obj export/import first, followed by the rigging tools from T4D

http://www.thomas4d.com/html/t4d_rigging_tools.html

This plug comes with the 17K V4 already rigged for Lightwave! I may work with the lower resolution V4, namely the LOD 17K model. The texture maps for the full 68K poly V4 fit on this lower res model. They have a 4K version also.

In Lightwave 9.5, is there a tool, I guess it would be in modeler, to "paint subdivision" on a model? Or is that a stupid question? I just see myself getting the low res version in with texture maps in place, then needing to get much more detail on the face.

I guess the standard method is to leave the mesh undisturbed but to paint displacement and turn that into a map?

Please forgive if I am using the incorrect terminology, I am just at the edge of this project and brand new to Lightwave.

operaguy
11-14-2008, 02:57 PM
discoburgess,

And there is a handy export plugin for Poser to send out a Poser scene -- including the guide hairs of Poser's hair room -- to .mdd format.

http://www.vuescripts.com/_A/index.php?index

operaguy
11-14-2008, 03:01 PM
I just wanted to add that it may well be the case I will want PLK for my main transfer tool as it might take care of the transfer of facial morphs and might do a better job of moving the texture maps over. Since Kurv offers a free trial, I'll be investigaging that.

JMCarrigan
11-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Man! PoserFusion in Poser Pro, AniMate in D|S, PLKKit and now T4D! My wife's gonna kill me.

SplineGod
11-14-2008, 10:51 PM
I dont bother to try and rig the poser skeletons I import in the standard way. IKBoost is much easier and quicker to setup and you get all the advantages poser has in terms of saving poses and motion clips. IKBoost is also vastly superior then poser for editing actual animation and lots of keyframes. Also IKB rigs can be altered on the fly making them very flexible.
Those things are not available using standard rigs.

JMCarrigan
11-15-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't bother to try and rig the poser skeletons I import in the standard way. IKBoost is much easier and quicker to setup and you get all the advantages poser has in terms of saving poses and motion clips. IKBoost is also vastly superior then poser for editing actual animation and lots of keyframes. Also IKB rigs can be altered on the fly making them very flexible.
Those things are not available using standard rigs.

That was what I figured. Your PLK tuts are valuable in getting a person started with PLK. I've been sneaking up on the IK Boost business, waiting for 9.51 to finish, viewing/reading whatever I can find on it, while doing a million and one other things this 60 y.o. retired person chooses to do (not a victim - no one's making me!) I love Lightwave but I've used it for flying logos and tings all these years - now it's time to PLAY!

SplineGod
11-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Ive been using IKBoost daily for many months now in a very intense production schedule. In terms of what it can do vs the standard rigging system theres just no cmparison. Having taught the old rigging system and using it for many years I can tell you that iKB is alot easier to learn and allows far more time for animating and managing animation keyframes.
If possible I would get onto the open beta. The 9.5 release version is definately not suitable for production work.
Heres a shot I finished recently for a show weve been doing for animal planet called Untamed, Uncut.

On top of creating and gathering the assets, I also had to surface, light, add fur, rig and animate it all in less then 2 days.
Im fairly happy with the way the fur turned out though ffx needs more work to make it more stable. We also rely very heavily on PLK to allow us easy access to lots of assets. The xray character and cat were imported using PLK.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/kitten.wmv

JMCarrigan
11-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Very Cool Larry. Occasionally (although "retired") a client will come along and want something "cheap" so I am constantly doing drills and finding CHEAP ways of doing things. That's one thing. Another is that I wanna learn IK Boost etc to do things nicely. So the fun goes on.

Here's an update of the last anim, but with FFX hair added using WV's tut on UV mapping. Trouble is - the UV maps that the creaters of vicky use for the head/face are on 2 maps! There's no single SCALP map. I'm trying to figure out how to do something about it. (Only 524k QT, no nudity exactly.)

DiscoBurgess
11-15-2008, 11:56 AM
discoburgess,

Hey, I never said it was a good idea!

DiscoBurgess
11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
If you're still around DiscoBurgess, here's an anim I just did (partial nudity 'cause I'm not gonna fart around with clothes yet) that is output from PoserPro with the PoserFusion plugin for Lightwave. (I added the stool in After Effects to see if I could.) I think that the polys are displaced very nicely and look a ton better than Simon does in Larry's tutorials.

BUT! If I tried to add. Wait! I think I saw something WV Proton did that might work! Using a map on the model to control where the hair grows.

There's a way also to track a point and stick a prop to that, but....... uh, I had minimal success with that.

So here's this for now. Only 700 k QuickTime.

Thanks, that looks pretty good, actually. I take it the cloth is done in Lightwave, then?

BetterThanLife
11-15-2008, 12:01 PM
For getting Poser assets into Lightwave 9.5, what is wrong with DAZ Studio's (free) Collada (Free) export or FBX (Paid Plug-in) export? Am I missing something?

Also note that M4 and to a lesser extent V4, if you intend to use them, rely very heavily on erc morphs for realistic movements and the Poser G2 series relies very heavily on Poser Magnets, which means they pretty much have to be animated in Poser, DS or Carrara (7 required for M4).

JohnMarchant
11-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Any news on the 64 bit version. The money is burning a hole in my pocket :):):)

operaguy
11-15-2008, 12:59 PM
Yes the lower part of the back of V4's belongs to the group "Neck" instead of the group "Head".

No one knows why.

Larry Shultz that Animal Planet work is really fine. You are the poster child for "Pros Who Tap Poser Content And It Is A Good Thing!"

operaguy
11-15-2008, 01:06 PM
BetterThanLife I think quite a few people are saying nada to what you posted: rig for V4 in Lightwave with these various rigging boosters is the goal, with the contention that they overcome the ERC/magnet requirements without a tremendous amount of tweaking and compromise.

I hope to join that parade myself if it indeed is feasible.

JMCarrigan
11-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Been rigging up some exterior speakers, anyway, yes! that drape is a tongue in cheek way of "covering up" parts.

About DAZ Collada/FBX Export: when I was trying it, it was not working for me at all. Are you, BetterThanLife, suggesting that is more workable now? My wife is calling!

JMCarrigan
11-15-2008, 04:00 PM
BetterThanLife I think quite a few people are saying nada to what you posted: rig for V4 in Lightwave with these various rigging boosters is the goal, with the contention that they overcome the ERC/magnet requirements without a tremendous amount of tweaking and compromise.

I hope to join that parade myself if it indeed is feasible.

Yeah - I wanna follow SplineGod's lead and get into IKBoost.

SplineGod
11-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Discoburgess,
LOL, no you didnt. I had to use Poser on large project called Afterworld and its something Ill never do again.
Its just not designed to do serious production work based on using it heavily for months. It was so much easier to import the assets into LW using PLK and animating or posting with IKB. :)

SplineGod
11-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Very Cool Larry. Occasionally (although "retired") a client will come along and want something "cheap" so I am constantly doing drills and finding CHEAP ways of doing things. That's one thing. Another is that I wanna learn IK Boost etc to do things nicely. So the fun goes on.

Here's an update of the last anim, but with FFX hair added using WV's tut on UV mapping. Trouble is - the UV maps that the creaters of vicky use for the head/face are on 2 maps! There's no single SCALP map. I'm trying to figure out how to do something about it. (Only 524k QT, no nudity exactly.)

I would copy the scalp and use it like the skullcaps some of the poser characters use. Have it use the same bones the character is using. Generate the hair off that. That way you can reuse that skullcap with other characters as well.
You can also generate hair guides of that and make collections of wigs that can be reused.

operaguy
11-15-2008, 07:15 PM
it's a good idea to use a skullcap for the reasons given. Plus: at least in the poser and carrara world, simulation speed with collision takes longer the more polygons involved. I don't know how HairFX works yet, but might it not be more efficient to collide the hair against a low-poly proxy (the skull cap decimated down to fewer polys) than the skull of Victoria her dense self?

SplineGod
11-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes the lower part of the back of V4's belongs to the group "Neck" instead of the group "Head".

No one knows why.

Larry Shultz that Animal Planet work is really fine. You are the poster child for "Pros Who Tap Poser Content And It Is A Good Thing!"

Poser or poster child? :)
The problem is that TV production schedules are getting more and more intense. Theres a lot of these so called reality shows that have more and more CGI. Take a look at the quality of a show called Shockwave. We have a small crew kicking out about 40 seconds a week of character animation and a higher quality. Both shows are done for the same client. The shockwave crew isnt using LW though. :)
Two things allow us to get these shots out quickly:
1. We model as a last resort. Weve used assets from turbosquid, 3dwarehouse (google sketchup), content paradise and daz. We mostly rely on the Daz models and PLK. Whats nice is being able to import the daz assets and morphs so we can dial in other characters easily.
2. We animate with IKBoost. We are able to either import the daz skeletons and apply IKB and have a working rig in a very short time. If we do add bones ourselves its almost as fast. Adding IKB is simple. Its easy to get poses quickly and finesse those poses. We also can reuse animations alot because we can save poses and motion clips and load them. We can also copy and paste poses and motions directly between rigs. IKB is great for dealing with mocap that we apply to a character in poser then import using PLK. IKB is awsome for edting large amounts of keyframes.

Honestly we couldnt do this show without PLK and IKB.
You can see some of what Im talking about in these videos:
http://www.vfxcast.com/playlist/PLK/

JMCarrigan
11-15-2008, 07:24 PM
it's a good idea to use a skullcap for the reasons given. Plus: at least in the poser and carrara world, simulation speed with collision takes longer the more polygons involved. I don't know how HairFX works yet, but might it not be more efficient to collide the hair against a low-poly proxy (the skull cap decimated down to fewer polys) than the skull of Victoria her dense self?

I would agree except that, unless something has changed, PoserFusion's diplacement makes it extremely hard to keep a seperate skull cap attached correctly. This won't matter when I've figured out IKBoost or use PLK only even.

SplineGod
11-15-2008, 07:27 PM
I would simply attach the skullcap in LW. Its dead simple to do.
If you xport to LW as an mdd file you could probably metalink the skull cap if you had to. You can also use editfx to pick a point off the mdd file on the scalp and create a motion path which you could apply to the skull cap.

I had to extract motion paths off points in this clothsim because hardlinking the buoys to the mesh was making them wig out:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/anims/Whale.wmv

operaguy
11-15-2008, 07:56 PM
yes J.Michael I was not speaking about PoserFusion but about actual assets moved into LW.

Mr. SGod your information and examples are invaluable. I am reading the IKBoost forums now. Because you are a pro and have this pipeline on a demanding basis, it's giving me confidence in it. Thanks for the pioneering.

operaguy
11-15-2008, 08:13 PM
sidebar: TV/Cable and animation.

I have to say that my low opinion of the 2D work (and i have no case against 2d in general) has reached a new low. At least on South Park et. al. they move the head around a little. This new show "World According To Tim" they do not even bother.

Please. This is an audio play with a little bit of assist.

I do agree that the increasing amount of animation and CGI in shows and commercials is astonishing.

JMCarrigan
11-16-2008, 07:43 AM
I would simply attach the skullcap in LW. Its dead simple to do.
If you xport to LW as an mdd file you could probably metalink the skull cap if you had to. You can also use editfx to pick a point off the mdd file on the scalp and create a motion path which you could apply to the skull cap.

Hmmm. I guess I better take another look. I'm not sure exactly that we're speaking of it the same way. But Thanks.

BetterThanLife
11-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Been rigging up some exterior speakers, anyway, yes! that drape is a tongue in cheek way of "covering up" parts.

About DAZ Collada/FBX Export: when I was trying it, it was not working for me at all. Are you, BetterThanLife, suggesting that is more workable now? My wife is calling!
I am really new to this, but it appears to work with the newest version of the FBX export and LW 9.5. You get the figure and rigging. Or you can get the figure and an animation with all of the erc morphs and magnet effects baked in and the rigging. I know that when I tested this with M4 the bending didn't work as well as expected because the ERC morphs don't translate unless they are active. I can probably find time to mess wiht the Collada export later this evening or Tomorrow.

JMCarrigan
11-18-2008, 09:36 AM
I am really new to this, but it appears to work with the newest version of the FBX export and LW 9.5. You get the figure and rigging. Or you can get the figure and an animation with all of the erc morphs and magnet effects baked in and the rigging. I know that when I tested this with M4 the bending didn't work as well as expected because the ERC morphs don't translate unless they are active. I can probably find time to mess wiht the Collada export later this evening or Tomorrow.

Ohhh. I'm gonna give it another whirl. Later.

JMCarrigan
11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Later: I guess I would have to know what to pick as Collada output from Poser Pro. Then whether or not I should do something with the Scale Selecter when importing into Layout.

There was a lot there this time but none of it was moving Vicki4.2

JMCarrigan
11-18-2008, 10:50 AM
I just gotta share this 'cause I had a hard time stopping laughing. This is using D|S's FBX exporter. Default Lightwave settings. (By the way - I just found out that that occasional black eyebrow is actually an extra one or set of polys.)

Reminda me Max Headroom.

operaguy
11-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Nice! She needs a qualuude or something like it.

I guess the main reason people are attempting to get animation into LightWave from Poser or DazStudio is to facilitate BVH in?

Other than that, I am looking forward to NOT animating in those programs but rather in Lightwave thank you very much!

And that is coming from someone who actually likes animating in Poser! Here is one I did in Poser. The first half is cleaned-up mocap. The second half (after she stops skipping) is hand keyed. There was no attempt at a high AA render here; I was just testing the dress, the bvh and the facial work.

Little Black Dress Animation, Quicktime (http://jrdonohue.com/lbd.mov)

BetterThanLife
11-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Nice! She needs a qualuude or something like it.

I guess the main reason people are attempting to get animation into LightWave from Poser or DazStudio is to facilitate BVH in?

Other than that, I am looking forward to NOT animating in those programs but rather in Lightwave thank you very much!

And that is coming from someone who actually likes animating in Poser! Here is one I did in Poser. The first half is cleaned-up mocap. The second half (after she stops skipping) is hand keyed. There was no attempt at a high AA render here; I was just testing the dress, the bvh and the facial work.

Little Black Dress Animation, Quicktime (http://jrdonohue.com/lbd.mov)

The problem you run into animating without Poser/DS/Carrara is the ERC Morphs and magnets and the heavy reliance all Poser figures since the Mil3 line have on them to make the joints look good. This is especially true of the Mil4 and G2 figures. I agree, I would love to be able to skip that step. Unlike you I hate the Poser Animation tools and DS has fun toys but no real tools. :) Carrara has the essential tools but no working export route and is missing the toys that Poser and DS have.

So, yes, I agree, I would love to be able to just do without, but I don't know how to do it.

operaguy
11-18-2008, 05:36 PM
BTL hi! Here we meet again!

What have you tried so far? Have you tried getting one of the figures in and rigging it with one of the tools listed above, such as IKBoost or T4D?

BetterThanLife
11-18-2008, 05:51 PM
BTL hi! Here we meet again!

What have you tried so far? Have you tried getting one of the figures in and rigging it with one of the tools listed above, such as IKBoost or T4D?

Actually all I have done is bring in things with FBX from DS and found that the ERC morphs don't work using that route.

operaguy
11-18-2008, 06:10 PM
i am looking forward to trying IKBoost and/or T4D to rig the model in Lightwave.

If you still hope to animate with a rig that "comes over", the PLK program featured in this thread claims better results than FXB. I think there is a free trial.

JMCarrigan
11-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Nice! She needs a qualuude ... Here is one I did in Poser. The first half is cleaned-up mocap. The second half (after she stops skipping) is hand keyed. There was no attempt at a high AA render here; I was just testing the dress, the bvh and the facial work.

Operaguy, was that rendered in LW? How did you get it from Poser To Lightwave if so? Thanks.

operaguy
11-18-2008, 09:01 PM
No that was rendered in Poser. I have not yet begun my Lightwave learning curve, need to clear other projects and then will be plunging in from the beginning of Thanksgiving to the end of the year. I am in this thread as prestudy.

That animation is a good feeling for what I want to do, except higher resolution, better lighting and dynamic hair.

Also, the animation itself is by no means polished; that was mostly a bvh and dynamic dress test.

joseburgos
11-19-2008, 06:32 AM
Can ERC Morphs be exported?
If so, why can't we add them to the rig so that they activate at a given time?
I would assume this is how they work in Poser and the ability to activate a morph at a given position/rotation of a bone has been available to LW for some time now.

Thinking out loud,

joseburgos
11-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Here is an old tutorial explaining how to use them.
http://www.geocities.com/the3dentsanimation/beyond-precise-joint-morphs.html

BetterThanLife
11-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Can ERC Morphs be exported?
If so, why can't we add them to the rig so that they activate at a given time?
I would assume this is how they work in Poser and the ability to activate a morph at a given position/rotation of a bone has been available to LW for some time now.

Thinking out loud,I don't know. I don't know if they can be translated. I don't know if the plug-in that the OP was talking about does that. I do know that the internal magnets from V4 and the G2 figures go way beyond what was available before them and I do know that M4's ERC morphs are complex enough that Carrara's Content Import had to be rewritten, at least in part, to accomodate his ERC morphs.

I am sure you can do something similar in Lightwave, I just don't know that you can get a good translation or export. Which is why I posted my first question. :) After all I don't want to re-invent the wheel, if I wanted to do that, why would I bother with the content in the first place. :)

To be clearer I wanted to know the differences between the plug-in that the OP posted about vs. DAZ Studio's FBX or Collada export.

As I posted and like Operaguy, I would prefer to animate in Lightwave and not have to do my animation in Poser, Carrara or DS. I certainly want to avoid Poser Fusion. (Transposer works in a similar way and I had more than my fill of that with Carrara 5. :) )

operaguy
11-19-2008, 08:24 AM
BTL can you download PLK and try it? They are certainly aware of everything you are asking about.

JMCarrigan
11-19-2008, 09:17 AM
No that was rendered in Poser. I have not yet begun my Lightwave learning curve, need to clear other projects and then will be plunging in from the beginning of Thanksgiving to the end of the year. I am in this thread as prestudy.

That animation is a good feeling for what I want to do, except higher resolution, better lighting and dynamic hair.

Also, the animation itself is by no means polished; that was mostly a bvh and dynamic dress test.

Ahhh! Very nice. You'll have fun with Lightwave. Never give up.

BetterThanLife
11-19-2008, 09:52 AM
BTL can you download PLK and try it? They are certainly aware of everything you are asking about.

::::: Opera :::::I haven't gotten that far. Especially since it appears to be a 32 bit plug-in and I am using 64bit Lightwave so I don't even know if I can.