PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave dongle and Avid dongle issue

quickstraw
10-03-2008, 10:01 AM
I am running Avid Media Composer v.3 on Both a Mac and PC. Both systems require a dongle to start Avid. I have installed Lightwave 9 on the PC using the supplied dongle and it runs fine ( with the full version, not in Discovery mode). The Mac, on the other hand, does not recognize the LW dongle. Has anyone had the same problem and what was the solution? Any help would greatly appreciated. Thanks.d

Dexter2999
10-03-2008, 10:23 AM
They use different versions of the Sentinel Dongle drivers. You can't have both versions installed at the same time either.

So either separate systems or a dual boot system.

Sorry.

quickstraw
10-03-2008, 12:04 PM
I'm wondering if there is a way to toggle the drivers according to which application you're using...manually move one driver to a temporary folder until you need the other one and then just swap. Do you think that is a work around?

Dexter2999
10-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Maybe, but I don't think so.

I would even be happy if I could just log on as a different user profile and switch drivers, but I don't think that will work either.

I think it has to be a dual boot or separate systems.

Sorry.

Titus
10-04-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm wondering if there is a way to toggle the drivers according to which application you're using...manually move one driver to a temporary folder until you need the other one and then just swap. Do you think that is a work around?

Usually is recommended to have Media Composer installed and nothing more on your box. You can try doing virtualization to run a version of windows with LW and another for your Avid. You can use VMware or the tools provided by Microsoft.

AbstractTech3D
07-28-2010, 08:43 AM
Ok, I've just installed Avid MC 5.0.2 on my Mac. It seems to have killed my LW 9.6 in this regard (now running only in Discovery mode). It was working (running in full 'non-discovery' mode), however, along with my prior install of Avid MC v 3.

Anybody with more experience on this that can comment?

Saville
05-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I'm having the same issue.

Serling
05-04-2011, 12:00 AM
I run Avid MC 4.05 on my 64 bit PC desktop and MC 3 on a PC laptop. Both are running MC and Lightwave together just fine (even at work, I can run LW in the background while running Newscutter in the foreground and vice versa.)

Avid MC doesn't seem to be picky about the Sentinel drivers, but you definitely need the latest driver to run Lightwave 10.

If you installed MC 3 AFTER installing LW 9 on your Mac, try uninstalling then reinstalling LW 9. If you installed LW 9 after installing MC3, try uninstalling then reinstalling MC 3. LightWave 9's dongle driver is probably older than MC3's, so reinstalling LW's Sentinel driver should get you back up and running on both.

However, as I don't own a Mac, I can't be sure this will work. I do know that in my case, I had once installed LW 9.2 on my laptop with an existing version of Avid MC 3 on it, and my Media Composer stopped working. Uninstalling then reinstalling MC3 - including its own Sentinel drivers - made everyone play nice together.

Hope this helps.

Marco Solorio
07-11-2011, 08:00 PM
We're currently in the process of transitioning over to Media Composer 5.5 from FCP7. Our Lightwave 9.6 isn't seeing the dongle either since the MC 5.5 install. Took me a few hours to figure it out and this thread confirmed it.

Luckily we already have dual-boot drives in place, so we can reboot to use Lightwave to use it, but it's a major drag and hassle.

Is anyone successfully running Lightwave 10 and Avid MC on the same OSX boot drive? We installed Lightwave 10 on our Avid MC boot drive, but it still doesn't see the dongle, but I'm not sure if it's because we're using a purple Rainbow Duo dongle. Do we need to update our dongles now too? But will it even work with Avid MC installed?

We re-installed the Sentinel drivers for LW 9.6 and installed LW 10, but the dongle still aren't recognized.

I swear, these damn dongles are the bain of my existence.

Saville
07-14-2011, 03:41 AM
I'm now successfully running LW10 and MC5.5 on the same machine. I have them open at the same time with no issue.

We've got an old purple dongle for MC, but I have one of the current LW dongles. It was just a matter of updating drivers for me.

First and foremost I had to make sure MC would still run, having LW on the same machine was just a bonus. But it's working for me now, without a hitch :thumbsup:

FCPX got you down Marco?

Marco Solorio
07-18-2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, Saville. You are on OSX, right? Methinks I need to update our purple dongles, which means downtime. Not good.

Yeah, not doing the FCPX route. Wont work at all for us. More saddened by the fact that Apple has obliterated their full pro apps line. We're done with Apple software. But that's another thread.

Saville
07-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Yes, OSX 10.6 at the moment.

I'm actually a full time editor, so I had to make sure Media Composer worked before I had LW running.

I've purchased a copy of FCPX, but there's no way we will be using it either. We'll look at it again after some updates.

Wittywop
08-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Hey guys,

So I ran into the same problem with Lightwave only working in Discovery mode. I freaked thinking my dongle was bad, but then remember I had just installed a trial version on Avid MC 5.5.2.

I did a lil more looking and I found an old forum post from like 04. Seems like they had the same problem back then.

Here is the link to that forum post.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-16067.html

If you scroll to the bottom there is a post by 'maschinsky'. He has a way to go into terminal and unload the avid extension.

I tried it on my mac running 10.6.8, and found that if I unloaded
com.SafeNet.driver.Sentinel through terminal I was able to get LW running. I was able to get MC running too, but I don't have an Avid dongle since I am on a trial. So If you have an Avid Dongle you might have to load com.SafeNet.driver.Sentinel.

I still am going to mess with it some. I don't know much about messing in terminal. but I got my LW. Hope this helps. Let me know if you find an easier way or if you have any other thoughts.

Marco Solorio
08-05-2011, 01:03 PM
This is good info! If removing it via the terminal works for you, please let us know. This does make sense that it could work. We don't use the USB dongle feature for our Avid MC install either, so this would be nice.

Thanks!

Wittywop
08-05-2011, 05:40 PM
I was able to have LW opened on one screen and MC on the other. Both seemed to work fine. I didn't do anything to taxing made a cube and beveled it in LW and played a sequence in MC. Seemed to work fine for me.

Maybe just removing the com.SafeNet.driver.Sentinel through terminal is a good fix. Again I don't have an avid dongle , so It might not work that way.

Glad I could help :)

robertn2k
08-05-2011, 05:52 PM
I was able to have LW opened on one screen and MC on the other. Both seemed to work fine. I didn't do anything to taxing made a cube and beveled it in LW and played a sequence in MC. Seemed to work fine for me.

Maybe just removing the com.SafeNet.driver.Sentinel through terminal is a good fix. Again I don't have an avid dongle , so It might not work that way.

Glad I could help :)

Yea...Avid and LW do not play well together if the Avid dongle is in place on the mac. They seem to using two different version of the sentinel software and one overwrites the other. I have a lab of 21 iMac's here at Florida State and it was ALWAYS a pain. Aivd does let you do on line registration now so we bypass using the Avid dongle altogether.

By the way Avid MC5.5.2 is only certified to work with 10.6.7. You may not have any issues but Avid is pretty anal about only using the version of the MAc OS they certify. They are working on certification for Lion and some folks are running MC under Lion with issues. Just be aware that if you have weird stuff happening in composer it's more likely the 10.6.8 version of the OS you are running than anything else.

If you run Composer you have to be very careful about not doing MacOS updates or any quicktime updates until Avid says it's OK.

AbstractTech3D
08-11-2011, 07:09 AM
A bit of coordination between Avid and Newtek on this would really go a long way, as far as my workflow is concerned.

Am still using LW in OSX, and XP / Bootcamp for Avid MC v5. Its a pain, and a significant slow-down. Both companies supplying media generating products that are rarely used in isolation.

Marco Solorio
09-13-2011, 01:34 PM
A late response in this from me, but the method that Wittywop pointed to worked for us as well so far (thank you!). No more rebooting into our older OSX volume just to use Lightwave. What a huge pain that was. And for the record, we too are not using a USB dongle for Avid MC.

Full methods:

Make sure your Lightwave USB dongle is plugged in (or the Sentinel extension will not show up in Terminal)
Login as root: http://www.spy-hill.net/~myers/help/apple/EnableRoot.html
Open OSX Terminal from Applications > Utilities
Type: kextstat
At the bottom should be the com.SafeNet.driver.Sentinal exntesion
Type: sudo kextunload -b com.SafeNet.driver.Sentinal
You may need to enter your root password at this point

Lightwave and Avid should now work together. If you need to reload the Sentinel extension type:

sudo kextload -b com.SafeNet.driver.Sentinal

Thanks!

Dexter2999
09-13-2011, 02:08 PM
A bit of coordination between Avid and Newtek on this would really go a long way, as far as my workflow is concerned.

Am still using LW in OSX, and XP / Bootcamp for Avid MC v5. Its a pain, and a significant slow-down. Both companies supplying media generating products that are rarely used in isolation.

Just read this and had to laugh.

Avid has a hard time keeping compatible with their own products! (Avid and ProTools) Forget about them trying to keep compatible with outside companies.

Sorry.