PDA

View Full Version : REAL Virtual Reality on the horizon!!!

faikispahiu
10-02-2008, 04:47 PM
I came across this great thing:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/

Don't tell me there is still no way I can't move my camera while using Live Set.

If Newtek would just allow using a real 3D file instead of a Aura 2D images, VT5 would be a total blast in broadcasting industry.

I will definitely be playing with this thing.

shrox
10-02-2008, 04:54 PM
That is cool.

SBowie
10-03-2008, 05:53 AM
I've seen this info before, and it is fun. What you're suggesting would require substantial changes/additions though. Each camera source would need a device similar to the 'LED specs' (so matching receivers could track their motion and software could interpret the spatial data. Then you'd need LiveSet technology capable of realtime photo-realistic 3D rendering. You'd need all of this for each input so you could switch between them.

Not trivial ... probably not very affordable with today's hdwe., as it would likely require a different computer host to handle each input. A lot of cool enhancements to LiveSet tech are possible apart from this mind you, but fun to muse about. Quite apart from a virtual set application, 'immersive' VR gaming with less than photorealistic (gaming quality) graphics should be quite do-able using a similar approach. Some here will remember when something similar was shown many years ago running off two A4000's.

faikispahiu
10-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Let's talk plain language and assume we are building a real VR for 4 camera system:

- you need 4 head movement tracking (glasses that this guy bought for 20USD) attached to the camera. subtotal: 80USD ;
- you need a Wii remote. subtotal: 70USD;
- you need a PC capable to handle 4 3D camera movements at the same time, this is not impossible at this time. aprox. subtotal: 5,000USD ;
- you need someone with enough creativity and will to replace Newtek's Aura with LW 3D capabilities. subtotal: PRICELESS!!!

SBowie
10-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Sure, let's. I'd be interested to see an affordable personal computer that can handle 3 or 4 simultaneous realtime video resolution photorealistic 3D renders.

jmmultex
10-06-2008, 03:58 PM
A quick thought... What if you were able to pre-render complete liveset camera moves in LW. You could then save them into a list that you could pick from to play back on cue during live productions. This shouldn't require a significant uptick in "real time" processing, but could significantly enhance the scale and realism of productions beyond what is possible with transitions between camera lock downs.

Do you think this approach would be possible within the current VT architecture?

Would love your thoughts.

-john

joseburgos
10-13-2008, 06:35 AM
How would one match the live camera zoom/pan/tilt to the LW animation?
You would have to create or purchase a camera motion rig that you would feed the LW camera motion into so that it mechanically zooms/pans/tilts the camera.

The reverse is easier, make the virtual world match the camera movement but we are back to processing power that is affordable.

Take care,

jmmultex
10-13-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for your reply, Jose.

My thinking was that it could work similar to the "Ken Burns" effect with a photo. You could dolly left/right/front/back and zoom in and out without creating any distortion. Clearly, doing cranes and pans would create issues, but it would even be possible to cheat some of these types of shots if they were subtle. This approach would depend on being able to create a clean RT key over any scaling of the video plate that is required by a move.

To a certain extent, this is what you have today by selecting an angle (Left/Center/Right) and having four levels of zoom available for each of them. I see this as simply adding the frames in between and executing it over time instead of as a cut.

Am I oversimplifying something here? I am sure there are subtleties that I could be overlooking...

Thanks for you insight.

Best Regards,
-john

joseburgos
10-13-2008, 12:19 PM
You would need a LiveSet that is at a higher resolution to do it that way and a lot of processing power.
Right now, the LiveSet is a SD resolution feed and zooming in or scaling it, would make for a lousy image.

Also, matching the live camera motion to the automated background camera move is extremely hard even in subtle moves.
You will be surprised what the human eye will catch.