PDA

View Full Version : maestro with 9.5

calilifestyle
10-02-2008, 04:16 PM
So any word on Maestro and 9.5 and the new bone system.

hydroclops
10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I sent this email to them:

how does the current version of Maestro work with LW 9.5?

Will there be a new version of Maestro that takes advantage of the new joints and IK features in 9.5?

Thinking about buying Maestro...

Thanks

This is their reply:

The latest version of Maestro works perfectly in 9.5, but it's worth noting that 9.5 is a fair amount slower in viewport interaction speed than 9.0 when working with rigged characters. This has nothing to do with Maestro, but it definitely is an issue for character animation.
As far as creating a new rig with the new 9.5 features, we're definitely looking into that, but it will take some time to:
1. figure out how the new features work
2. determine how to integrate these features into a rig that is superior to what we already have
That said, here's a couple of other things to consider…
The rigs we provide are really only a side benefit to what Maestro is really all about. The control interface is the heart of it, and that can be used to control anything in the scene.
The underlying engine of Maestro allows you to modify the rig files or create your own, with just a little understanding of a basic set of commands. So you can incorporate any new rig features you want if you can get to it before we do.
Hope this helps,
Eric

I think the response was thoughtful and useful, and it came only hours after I sent my question.

I'd like to hear what some owners of maestro think about how it works with 9.5. I'm still thinking about buying it

ericsmith
10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
I'd like to add to this that I really am interested in hearing anyone's thoughts or ideas on this topic.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of scratching my head trying to figure out how the new tools can enable me to make a better rig than what I've already done with the previous tools.

It's also worth mentioning that I'm currently tinkering with another rig concept that is more of an "isolationist" rig, where each body part stays fixed unless explicity animated. I've avoided this kind of rig in the past, because I thought it created more work than a rig where there's more of a dynamic hierarchy, but I'm starting to see that it could be beneficial in certain circumstances. Also, it may be feasable to let the control panel do more of the complex relational motions rather than the rig. This could give the best of both worlds in a single rig.

Eric

Chris S. (Fez)
10-03-2008, 11:40 AM
How about adding Stretchy/Bendy bones, Eric?

jaxtone
10-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Hi Eric!

When I opened up an old Maestro rigged character from LW 8.5 in my new version of LW 9.5 the strangest thing happened. All the bones appeared as huge triangles and it looked really strange to me.

J

Dennik
10-03-2008, 12:53 PM
Hi Eric!

When I opened up an old Maestro rigged character from LW 8.5 in my new version of LW 9.5 the strangest thing happened. All the bones appeared as huge triangles and it looked really strange to me.

J

This is because the default bone icon size is too large for your character's proportions. go to display options (shortcut "d") and the handles & Icons tab just under the bounding box threshold field.
Change the bone icon size at the bottom, to something that looks better for your character size. Also click the auto-size Bones checkbox.

adamredwoods
10-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I'd like to add to this that I really am interested in hearing anyone's thoughts or ideas on this topic.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of scratching my head trying to figure out how the new tools can enable me to make a better rig than what I've already done with the previous tools.

Eric

Joints don't offer too much for animating, aside from squash and stretch, but more for setting up in Layout.

I've never used Maestro, but I would think that it should work fine with Joints, but also easily add squash and stretch, since it is just increasing/decreasing the Z-position on the joint tip (if one is animating via rotation).