PDA

View Full Version : Rack Mount & DVD Burner

Dub2Dat
10-02-2008, 09:48 AM
It would be nice if you could get a Tricaster in a standard rack mount form factor AND with a built in DVD burner.

4n6Days
10-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Just get a heavy duty rack mount shelf and rig up some restraint system... nylon tie-downs, pipe strap... something

Stumpster
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
http://www.mcclaflinmobilemedia.com/servlet/the-190/McClaflin-Mobile-Media-M3-dsh-TCSCR/Detail

4n6Days
10-02-2008, 01:46 PM
nice!

PIZAZZ
10-09-2008, 04:01 PM
We did a design for a client with a configuration just like you are asking for.

Below is a pic of the standard TriCaster rackmount. On this special one we didn't mount the Production Intercom box but instead put a Sony DVD recorder there vertically. It turned out to be a perfect solution for him.

Dub2Dat
10-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Pizazz and Stumpster, those are nice options for TC in its current form. And I will have to come up with something when I get ready to starting doing multicamera shoots on location. But I was thinking more along the lines of a TC form factor that is ALREADY designed to fit in a 19" rack. Then you don't need the extra weight and space requirements for a self like unit to hold it in place. The TC is promoted as being so light weight and portable. And that is mostly true. My back was over joyed at how light the thing really was, but the portability of the unit completly misses the boat. The TC doesn't even have a handle.

PIZAZZ
10-13-2008, 11:10 AM
The TC doesn't even have a handle.

Ours does. ;)

I agree there are times that I feel like the TriCaster can be much more portable. Then I think back to the many MANY times I lugged around a 400 pound VT rack that replaced 3 or 4 500lb. racks of old analog gear in a Flight Pack.

So that little box is plenty portable if you were used to that.

Throw that little box in a Pelican case and it is extremely portable while still protected.

Dub2Dat
10-14-2008, 07:22 PM
I do recall my early days in the business. We had this "portable" flight case called a PVOM. I think it stood for "Portable Video Operations Module" It took two strong guys with good backs to lift it up into the van.

I'm not complaining about my cute little TCS breadbox, but this is the wish list, pie-in-the-sky section.

If things go well I'll be ready for a second Tricaster in a year or two. By then it would be great to have a unit built from the ground up to fit in a 19" rack, with full time on screen previews for all inputs, a dvd burner, hot switching on the live buss without delays and all the rest of the great stuff I'm starting love about TC.

Paul Lara
10-15-2008, 10:32 AM
My back was over joyed at how light the thing really was, but the portability of the unit completly misses the boat. The TC doesn't even have a handle.

If you have a TriCaster STUDIO, it does have handles.