PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#8

Iain
10-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge#8
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - Robotics
Model an existing or new robot, a toy robot, robot parts etc. Very open again this week.

Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 8th October 2008

cagey5
10-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Sounds good. I've missed the last 2 or 3 so will definitely try and find the time for this one.

Pamela G. Juust
10-02-2008, 04:49 AM
awesome topic. consider as placeholder.

Kuzey
10-02-2008, 08:09 AM
I found this cool artist who makes the cutest robot figures, I might model one or two myself :hey:

http://robotart.homestead.com/gallery.html

Kuzey

colkai
10-02-2008, 08:10 AM
fun! :)

Iain
10-02-2008, 08:11 AM
I found this cool artist who makes the cutest robot figures, I might model one or two myself :hey:

Kuzey

Hah! You beat me to it.
I was just about to link to that site too.

I'm rendering one of them right now.

Iain
10-02-2008, 08:14 AM
I'd love to have tackled a more interesting one but this looked the simplest.

Modelling time 60 minutes.
I didn't get the pose or proportions right and there's some bolts missing but I'm surprised I managed this in the hour..................

Kuzey
10-02-2008, 08:35 AM
Coolness....that turned out great :thumbsup:

He should really have his own tv show or movie.

Kuzey

Iain
10-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks.
I think I'll do a more complex one in my own time. I love the one in the cape.

BeeVee
10-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Hmm, I thought it was "Robo Tart" and I went with completely the wrong idea in mind...

B

flakester
10-02-2008, 09:15 AM
Hmm, I thought it was "Robo Tart" and I went with completely the wrong idea in mind...

B

lmfao!! ORSM.

flakester.

Iain
10-02-2008, 09:20 AM

B

http://robotart.homestead.com/quanyinlg1.jpg

No I think you were right.

BeeVee
10-02-2008, 09:26 AM
Wha?! Cough splutter, you all have filthy, filthy minds! I meant a tart of the fruity variety. No, wait. Oh darn.

B

JeffrySG
10-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Kuzey

Very cool link! :)

and that came out great, Iain!

art
10-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Great challenge. This thread will be fun to watch.

JeffrySG
10-02-2008, 11:36 AM
It would kind of be cool if everyone choose any thing from that gallery...

WhereMyArm
10-02-2008, 01:22 PM
I love watching these challenges, and I think this time the ridiculously cool subject might force me to try for an entry.

Also that gallery has some really nice looking robots!

colkai
10-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Took 20-25 mins to model this, going to have to wait until after the weekend to texture it properly though. :)

Hopper
10-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Kuzey
Those photographs would have made a great post in the "Real or Render" thread. If it wasn't for the reflection of the photographer, I would have guessed "render" for most of those shots.

Hopper
10-02-2008, 04:28 PM
And with the ever improving conductor and dialectric nodes, there shouldn't too much dificulty coming up with textures!

RollerJesus
10-02-2008, 09:22 PM
My entry...

"Robot Lilliput", a gift from my brother-in-law that sets on my desk.

I think I may go back to this one to show more of the folded tin type of construction used in the real thing when I have some time.

Took me an hour to do the model, and another hour and a half to do the texture/render.

I Hope you all like it! I'm looking forward to seeing some great entries with this theme!

`Patrick

flakester
10-03-2008, 03:01 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing some great entries with this theme!

:agree:

Again, sadly I'll be away this weekend - with a shed-load to do before I go.
Hopefully I'll find some time to get one done each next Monday and Tuesday.
Can't wait to see what people keep turning out here.

Nice jobs there RJ and Colkai. :thumbsup:

flakester.

colkai
10-03-2008, 05:08 AM
Again, sadly I'll be away this weekend - with a shed-load to do before I go.
Likewise, though I can't really say sadly as I'll be spending tomorrow in the company of my avatar to raise funds so I may be cold, but I'll be happy. :)

BlueApple
10-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Iain, Colkai and RollerJesus- great looking entries every one.

This guy has 50 minutes of modeling in him, with some post in Photoshop.

Iain
10-03-2008, 05:37 AM
That's really cool, Blueapple!
Is it your own design?

Nice stuff Colkai and RollerJesus too :thumbsup:

BlueApple
10-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks, Iain. I did design him, though there is plenty of borrowing from classic toys and robot television stars :)

JeffrySG
10-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Great entries colkai and RollerJesus!

...and I really love that design BlueApple! I know there's a animated short somewhere wanting to be done with that guy! :)

This ray gun was taken from one of robotart.net designs - one of the pics on the right side. I spent the full hour on this one, but I'll admit that the cutouts in the side and the screw took me a little over the hour, so I'm over by about 15-20 min now. Lighting and texturing were beyond that time, and there was a little post in PS too.

JeffrySG
10-03-2008, 08:54 AM
opps.... forgot to turn on double sided for the body of the gun...
I added a little of internal lighting as well...

RollerJesus
10-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Blue, your design/model are both great! I like the post work too, particularly the glow!

Jeff, that gun's a real beauty!

Nangleator
10-03-2008, 09:20 AM
JeffrySG, wow, there's as much character and funkiness in the render as there is in the modeling. Bravo!

JeffrySG
10-03-2008, 11:36 AM
^hey, thanks guys! :)

Kuzey
10-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Oooooh....nice work we have seen so far :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Hopper
10-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Just out of curiosity... Is it normal practice to use subD's for portions of your model and not others? Does it really matter? Does the render engine care when doing calulations since everything gets frozen and tripled anyway?

I was just wondering because it looked like Jeffry's model was part subD and part polygonal.

Hopefully I will have some quality time on my own this weekend. I would love to do this challenge.

@Blue - Really nice. I would love to know what techniques you used to get that kind of render.

@Jeffry - Love the render. The DOF really shows off the scale.

dwburman
10-03-2008, 08:25 PM
Here are some sketches of mine that anyone can use for inspiration for the contest.

hrgiger
10-03-2008, 08:35 PM
Just out of curiosity... Is it normal practice to use subD's for portions of your model and not others? Does it really matter? Does the render engine care when doing calulations since everything gets frozen and tripled anyway?

I don't know about normal practice but I don't think it matters. The only difference it makes to the render engine is what settings you have for your render resolution on your geometry for the subD's.
A lot of models that I've made are part subD's and part polygonal. No reason for it other then sometimes I don't feel like somethings need to be subdivided, that their polygonal forms will be fine enough without it. If it's going to be deformed though, I'll use subD's. For instance I may have a polygonal earring in a characters nose that is subpatched. No need to subdivide such a simple object.

hrgiger
10-03-2008, 08:43 PM
I should add that in Jeffreys case, it looks like he froze the front part of the mesh(probably from a subD object) so it would make it easier to boolean out the holes. That's probably why he went the way he did. You could make the same shape and holes with subD's but for speed sake, freezing it is probably faster.

BlueApple
10-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Here are a few more additions to the robot army.

Bot2: 50 minutes
Bot3: 30 minutes

Each one was started from scratch- none of that tree-hugging recycling business :)

Regarding the mixture of subdivisions and non, I think it's fine. If parts of my model make sense to be subd'd, then great. If I have a tiny bolt somewhere on the same model that will look just fine as regular polys, that's how it's modeled. I will defer to those wise than I to engage in Hopper's calculation questions.

In the attached .zip is the first robot. If you find anything useful there, excellent. Light setup is an hdri as a background image and an area or spherical. Final gather, ray tracing, etc.

Thanks for the kind words. JeffrySG, that gun is beautiful and the metal texture is sick. Very nice.

JeffrySG
10-03-2008, 11:04 PM
I should add that in Jeffreys case, it looks like he froze the front part of the mesh(probably from a subD object) so it would make it easier to boolean out the holes. That's probably why he went the way he did. You could make the same shape and holes with subD's but for speed sake, freezing it is probably faster.

You nailed it! ;)

thx guys!

@dwburman: really beautiful drawings! remind me of some of the manga work that I love!

@BlueApple: the bot came out really nice! :)

JeffrySG
10-03-2008, 11:24 PM
^ps. Forgot to add BA: I really love the clouds in the background of that bot image!

dwburman
10-04-2008, 12:16 AM
I learned the hard way that if you're using FXLinker to create a lot of objects, SubD objects render a lot slower than regular poly objects. If I remember correctly, even with the subD level set to 1 or 0, it was slower... that was several years ago tho.

Also, while it's probably better to use SubDs when doing deformations, it isn't a requirement. Freeze the object and triple the polys so you don't get non-planar polygons. It's not as flexible, but it is workable.

@JeffrySG: Thanks. The pics are several years old by now.

Korvar
10-04-2008, 09:52 AM
Here's my effort. Modelling time: 60 minutes minus an annoying pre-recorded telemarketing phone call.

I think I need more practice :)

novawave
10-05-2008, 09:59 AM
hooray... a decent spare time at last...

darn..!!!:cursin: i missed last two threads(man ,...i thought am gonna make some scarecrow but never had a time!!!! wreck!!!)

anyway..enough rant on something that already passed lol

so..robot this time right???:thumbsup:

my entri just some kind of fast and low polygonal mecha style(as usual hehe) robot...this model have not much detail as i pursue the general shape ,..this is as far as i can go, for an hour modelling...

btw great starting Entrys as usual, great job people:thumbsup:...

Pamela G. Juust
10-05-2008, 12:52 PM
http://img393.imageshack.us/img393/7983/robotxc7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/9836/robotwirepe2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

OlaHaldor
10-05-2008, 01:49 PM
"Eeek my mail just came straight for me"

Simon
10-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Here's my feeble effort! Ran out of time for the modelling.

WilliamVaughan
10-05-2008, 05:03 PM
Iain, Colkai and RollerJesus- great looking entries every one.

This guy has 50 minutes of modeling in him, with some post in Photoshop.

Simply...amazing! Love teh design on this!

WilliamVaughan
10-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Here are a few more additions to the robot army.

Bot2: 50 minutes
Bot3: 30 minutes

Each one was started from scratch- none of that tree-hugging recycling business :)

Regarding the mixture of subdivisions and non, I think it's fine. If parts of my model make sense to be subd'd, then great. If I have a tiny bolt somewhere on the same model that will look just fine as regular polys, that's how it's modeled. I will defer to those wise than I to engage in Hopper's calculation questions.

In the attached .zip is the first robot. If you find anything useful there, excellent. Light setup is an hdri as a background image and an area or spherical. Final gather, ray tracing, etc.

Thanks for the kind words. JeffrySG, that gun is beautiful and the metal texture is sick. Very nice.

Add these to my last comment...priceless!

art
10-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Here is a Little Garden Helper for my wife. I went 10 minutes over the limit but I did not want to leave this robot empty handed.

JeffrySG
10-05-2008, 08:53 PM
^really great job, Art! I love the render and the wires even look nice rendered!

art
10-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Thanks! This is really a fun subject. I should explore it a little more outside of this challenge :)

flakester
10-06-2008, 03:38 AM
Awesome work all! :thumbsup:

JeffrySG: That gun is simply wonderful.

Korvar: Great turnout. Reminds me of something..... can't quite put my finger on it.

BlueApple: Excellent style, really digging those! I reckon you really should create a robot army after this challenge.

Novawave: Again, good style - nice render too.

Pamela: That is just great! Lots of movement and thought in there.

Simon: Ace simple style for the model - absolutely love that bokeh, great job.

Art: Where to I get hold of one of these magical garden helpers? - I'll get one for the better half, and possibly manage to claw some of my weekends back! Great work.

Now all I have to do is find the time to come up with something myself.... :stumped:

flakester.

ANS
10-06-2008, 04:09 AM
Maybe this link can be helpful?
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/08/toy-robots-to-have-and-to-hold.html
lots of robots :)

Kuzey
10-06-2008, 06:12 AM
Man...you guys are having far too much fun :lol:

Wonderful stuff :thumbsup:

Kuzey

The Dommo
10-06-2008, 07:13 AM
So tempting to post a certain image here....
must... resist....! :D

Nangleator
10-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Resistance is futile!

BlueApple
10-06-2008, 02:08 PM
@Simon - Wonderfully creepy design; very nice.

@art- Great model. The spring and propeller add a lot of personality.

dwburman
10-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Perhaps I bit off more than I could chew with this design. I went way over the time limit to get the model to this point and it isn't done yet. I got bogged down cleaning up after messy boolean operations.

Anyway, here's the (not quite finished) head of what was going to be a multi-rotor reconnaissance helicopter thing.

WilliamVaughan
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Perhaps I bit off more than I could chew with this design. I went way over the time limit to get the model to this point and it isn't done yet. I got bogged down cleaning up after messy boolean operations.

Anyway, here's the (not quite finished) head of what was going to be a multi-rotor reconnaissance helicopter thing.

I love where teh surfacing is going with this!

dwburman
10-06-2008, 03:34 PM
If it can't be good, it can at least be shiny :)

ANS
10-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Here is my robot. About 50-55 min, using hammers, welders etc tools from Modeler :)
In last moment I decided to add battery in back :)

Iain
10-06-2008, 04:53 PM
Lots of amazing entries coming through on this one!
Love those designs, Bueapple.

ANS, no ABC Warrior from you?:)

ANS
10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
ANS, no ABC Warrior from you?:)

ABC? in one hour? maybe when i get more skill :) or get Holy Bevel Atrifact, which add +10 to modelling skill...

Hopper
10-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I finally got some time to play! I didn't have a lot of time, so I went ahead and used one of the robots from the "big page o' robots". :D

I haven't had a chance to texture or pose him yet, but I might have some time Tuesday. But it was a blast - since I never get to play these days.

All subD's - this one was tough - down to the wire - 58 minutes.

dwburman
10-07-2008, 12:22 AM
nicely done, Hopper.

Iain
10-07-2008, 01:50 AM
I finally got some time to play! I didn't have a lot of time, so I went ahead and used one of the robots from the "big page o' robots". :D

I haven't had a chance to texture or pose him yet, but I might have some time Tuesday. But it was a blast - since I never get to play these days.

That's a very good likeness!

I got a nice email from Lawrence asking about the one I did. You should send him a copy of your render.

colkai
10-07-2008, 02:48 AM
Awesome stuff, absolutely awesome.
Wish I'd of had time to try a few more designs, this one doesn't really count as it is 'old' and I am not sure how long it actually took to model, though it wasn't overtly long.
:) A roving eye type thingy. :p

JeffrySG
10-07-2008, 06:52 AM

That came out great, Hopper! Really nice job! :D

Awesome stuff, absolutely awesome.
Wish I'd of had time to try a few more designs, this one doesn't really count as it is 'old' and I am not sure how long it actually took to model, though it wasn't overtly long.
:) A roving eye type thingy. :p

Very cool looking! I really like the effect on the sides of the 'rover'.

colkai
10-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Ta, it's a bunch of procedurals so I can animate it to create the drive effect.

JeffrySG
10-07-2008, 08:50 AM
^I'm sure it would look very cool. Do you have any short animations of it?? :D

Ferox
10-07-2008, 10:53 AM
you guys are all amazing :bowdown:

Kuzey
10-07-2008, 04:05 PM
I had a go at the dog, but fiddled my through trying different things and what not....took way longer than the 60min limit :D

ps...I was going for an exact likeness :P

Kuzey

dwburman
10-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, I gave it another go and still didn't finish in time. I stopped at just over an hour and did a few minor tweaks. It lacks important detail and doesn't match my design. It's good practice though.

Hopper
10-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, I gave it another go and still didn't finish in time. I stopped at just over an hour and did a few minor tweaks. It lacks important detail and doesn't match my design. It's good practice though.
Ooooooh cool... shiny! I like shiny. :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
I had a go at the dog, but fiddled my through trying different things and what not....took way longer than the 60min limit :D

ps...I was going for an exact likeness :P

Kuzey

This came really nice! Are you going to a render?

JeffrySG
10-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Very cool design! You should put another hour into it to see if you could finish it up.

JeffrySG
10-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Someone had asked to see my setup for the chrome I used on the gun. It's actually really simple.

I'm just using a conductor node and then a noise node to break up the reflections and provide some bump. To be honest the biggest boost probably comes from using an HDRI light probe as the background which gets reflected in the metal. No lights used in the scene. I'm using a free light probe from this page. http://www.debevec.org/probes/

Nodes below:

colkai
10-08-2008, 02:01 AM
^I'm sure it would look very cool. Do you have any short animations of it?? :D

Nope, but it wouldn't take long to render a small one I think. Don't think I'm busy tonight so may do one then, (at least no orders from the wife yet :p ).

Hopper
10-08-2008, 02:36 AM
Well, I had to get up early this morning (3am) for yet another wonderful 30 hour day, so I skipped the elaborate breakfast buffet of coffee and burnt toast and tinkered around with some basic textures for this thing. Needless to say I'm VERY impressed with the speed of 9.5 now. It came out much better than I thought it would. Render time was a zippy 2 minutes - 14 seconds with 2 area lights, full GI and 3 luminous polys for lighting and reflection. AA-9 pass/Mitchell

I noticed I missed a bunch of things after a few test renders... the mouth is wrong, the clips on the hand are bent in the opposite direction of the picture and the feet are all wrong. But other than that, crits and comments welcome. Time for a nap while I drive to the airport....

Pic #1: The original reference
Pic #2: Wires and pose
Pic #3: Render

Hopper
10-08-2008, 02:42 AM
PS - Thanks Jeffry. I appreciate you posting that. I used it for the "ears". It really made it look right.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

flakester
10-08-2008, 03:56 AM
But other than that, crits and comments welcome. ~

No crits at all: Stunning rendition :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

flakester.

BlueApple
10-08-2008, 05:19 AM
@Hopper- your entry looks stellar, excellent work.

JeffrySG
10-08-2008, 06:31 AM
:agree:

Iain
10-08-2008, 06:48 AM
Hopper, that looks amazing.
The materials and reflections look spot on.

Hope you made it to the airport and back. :hey:

parm
10-08-2008, 06:50 AM
What an absolutely delightful set of models and renders, from everyone.

Brilliant!

Kuzey
10-08-2008, 06:53 AM
This came really nice! Are you going to a render?

Yes...after redoing him :hey:

For some reason, I'm finding myself experimenting with different techniques in these challenges and wasting time :D

Kuzey

flakester
10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Gosh darnitt.

Not gonna be able to get an entry done for this one. :(

Gotta say I've been pretty much blown away by the quality of all the entries, on a scale of one to ten, I'd have to say they're all at least a 'super-great'.

Well done all. :thumbsup:

flakester.

Iain
10-08-2008, 02:22 PM
I thought this one would be popular.

Great to see so many high quality and imaginative entries!

colkai
10-08-2008, 02:40 PM
For JeffrySG
Quick test of the effect of the texture for the hoverbot 'drive'.

BlueApple
10-08-2008, 02:47 PM
colkai- that animated texture looks great. Please tell me it's an image sequence and not some braniac nodal setup.

JeffrySG
10-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Wow.. that does look very cool... I do believe he said it was all procedurals, BlueApple. :)

Thanks for whipping that up colkai! :D

BlueApple
10-08-2008, 03:04 PM
You're right, procedurals it is. Very nice :)

Hopper
10-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Ok - I made it to the hotel and they have the worst internet connection on the planet. I'm literally walking down the hall aimlesslsy try to get a piece of the only weak signal they have. Now it's time to go to work! yay...

Thanks for the kind comments! Now I understand just how hard posing in modeler is. I should have just made bones, but I didn't really figure on just how difficult it is to make changes once you've twisted up your model!

colkai, that's cool. It reminds me of the old "Lost Saucer" show (if anyone even remembers that).

Iain
10-08-2008, 04:18 PM
And on we go.......................

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=762788#post762788

Thanks to JeffrySG.

righteous
10-09-2008, 12:09 AM
I know it's 20 billion years late, but those robots on that website looked like so much fun so I had to do one. I have no idea how long it took me but I had fun doing it.

colkai
10-09-2008, 05:34 AM
A simple image and mainly procedurals, then just animated.
Not at my home box now, so only have the initial surface, I did a few tweaks last night on it. Should give you something to play with though. :)

Kuzey
10-09-2008, 06:09 AM
Nice one..righteous :D

Here's version 2 of robodog, the attack dog :hey:

Kuzey

righteous
10-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Ha ha, that dog is awesome. I wanted to do something like that as a companion to another robot I made a long time ago.

Hopper
10-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey guys, for those of you who are interested... I got two emails from Lawrence Northey. He is the one that does the really cool robots that Kuzey linked for ideas...

Well, I sent my render to him just for shlts and giggles and I received two emails back. It made me feel so much better about being a LW noob. He probably doesn't understand how easy LW makes it to do this stuff, but it made me smile anyway.

=================================

Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 10:46 PM
Subject: Balancing Robot

Hello Michael,

Outstanding!

Many people over the years have told me that when they first saw my work they thought it was digital, now I understand why. This rendering is incredible! When I first opened up the file I thought I was looking at the original.

Thank you very much for sending me this.

Cheers,
Lawrence

Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 11:27 AM
Subject: Balancing Robot

Hi Michael,

I'm going to eventually create a "Fan Art" page on my website. I'd like to post the CG image you did of the "Balancing Robot" with your permission. Please let me know if there's a link you would like me to add. I would like to credit the work with your name and where people can get in touch with you (if that's OK with you)

This image you created, could it be animated? ie: rotating or, something like that?

Best regards,
Lawrence Northey

So for those of you that have already done some of his bots and would like to display your work or maybe do a turntable animation, here's a great opportunity for some free advertising.

He gets a fairly large number of hits on his website, so a few hours of work might be worth the effort.

Cheers!

JeffrySG
10-09-2008, 08:29 PM
I know it's 20 billion years late, but those robots on that website looked like so much fun so I had to do one. I have no idea how long it took me but I had fun doing it.

Really great job!!! :)

JeffrySG
10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Nice one..righteous :D

Here's version 2 of robodog, the attack dog :hey:

Kuzey

So cool! Render! Render! Render!

JeffrySG
10-09-2008, 08:34 PM
@Hopper: that's great to hear. I'll make sure to send him my ray gun too! Thanks for posting the email/info. :)

Kuzey
10-10-2008, 07:41 AM
Here is a quick render test...for me anyway, after 90 renders playing with surfaces etc. I'm still not happy, I want to add a cool neon blue light surface in some parts...which turns red just before he attacks you :hey:

Kuzey

righteous
10-11-2008, 02:53 AM
I reckon the lighter coloured metal would look good for the leg joints.

@ Jeffry,

thanks it was a hoot to make.

I might email my render off to that dude too. Cool that he was so happy to see the render :)

Kuzey
10-11-2008, 06:40 AM
Yeah...I'm still playing with the surfaces at the moment, it's too black and white for my liking. I'm trying to get some neon lights/surfaces but I can't seem to make it work.

Kuzey

JeffrySG
10-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah...I'm still playing with the surfaces at the moment, it's too black and white for my liking. I'm trying to get some neon lights/surfaces but I can't seem to make it work.

Kuzey

It looks nice so far, maybe try a nice light probe in the BG for some interesting reflections in the metal?

Kuzey
10-11-2008, 04:05 PM
Hi Jeff, here's a render with an hdr image/map...what ever it's called, but it also rendered the image as a backdrop...so, I used photoshop to remove it. This hdr stuff is new to me, and now if I could get a good neon glow effect going I'll be happy :hey:

Still playing around with surfaces and what not.

Kuzey

dwburman
10-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Do the glow in a separate render pass and comp it in post. You'll have more control and get it done quicker. Of course, that isn't as much fun as doing it in camera.

You may want to darken the overall lighting so the glowing stuff shows up better. You wouldn't see much glowing in bright daylight.

JeffrySG
10-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Hi Jeff, here's a render with an hdr image/map...what ever it's called, but it also rendered the image as a backdrop...so, I used photoshop to remove it. This hdr stuff is new to me, and now if I could get a good neon glow effect going I'll be happy :hey:

Still playing around with surfaces and what not.

Kuzey

Looking better each time!

Kuzey
10-12-2008, 06:34 AM
Thanks guys, I might set him aside for awhile and finish the first version of the dog, maybe try some carpaint nodes on him :D

Mmmm...I think I found a bug....off to OB forums I go :hey:

Kuzey

Hopper
10-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Thanks guys, I might set him aside for awhile and finish the first version of the dog, maybe try some carpaint nodes on him
Noooo.. I was hoping to see the finished version of this one. The glow is turning out well. With a darker environment or background it would really pop.

Kuzey
10-13-2008, 06:00 AM
Hi Hopper, I just need a little time away from it. The good news is I finished his little brother....iPup, the friendly one :D

Kuzey

Iain
10-13-2008, 06:07 AM
That looks great, Kuzey!

JeffrySG
10-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Great work, Kuzey! :thumbsup:

I ended up doing an animation of the ray gun so I can send it to Lawrence at robotart.net. Here it is in case you would like to see it. :) The little glitch in the loop is due to the H.264 compression.

JeffrySG
10-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Here's another version with the wireframes built into the animation.

Hopper
10-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Here's another version with the wireframes built into the animation.
Oh that is totally cool. Now I wish I would have used an HDRI. I'm assuming you used a clip map for doing the wire "swipe" ? I was going to make an inmation for Lawrence too - my wires aren't as cool as yours though. Maybe I need to straighten up a bit .. :)

Iain
10-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Thought I better come up with a winner so after a lot of deliberation, I have to give it to BlueApple! His original bots were all amazingly designed and executed but I especially loved the first one.

Hopper nearly took it with his balancing robot and there was a lot of other really great stuff too.
We'll have to come back to robotics again.

Iain
10-13-2008, 03:42 PM
After getting really browned off trying to make a stupid hand, I went back to adjust my RobotArt model.

I'm going to attempt a walk cycle and send it to Lawrence.

JeffrySG
10-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Big Congrats BlueApple! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That looks friggin' great Iain! I can't wait to see the animation! :D

@Hopper: Thanks! I did the wires swipe in After Effects... I rendered out a 2nd version of all wires then just masked it to an animated swipe... This let me change it pretty quickly if needed.

Kuzey
10-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Cool little animation Jeffry.

Iain, I can't wait to see the walk cycle.

And Congratulations to BlueApple, great designs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Hopper
10-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Congratulations BlueApple! They were very original and it is well deserved. :thumbsup:

And thank you very much for the honorable mention Iain. :)

Hopper
10-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Jeffry, you wouldn't happen to have a brief summary of how you did that in AE would you? I just bought AE like three weeks ago and haven't even been able to through the manuals yet. If it's fairly involved, then don't wory about it. I might have to pick it back up when I learn a little more.

JeffrySG
10-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Jeffry, you wouldn't happen to have a brief summary of how you did that in AE would you? I just bought AE like three weeks ago and haven't even been able to through the manuals yet. If it's fairly involved, then don't wory about it. I might have to pick it back up when I learn a little more.

Sure, it's pretty simple.

You have the two animations, on the bottom is the normal one, the top is the wireframe. My wires were white lines on a black background. I set that layer to screen at about 75% opacity.
On top of the wires layer I created a new white solid that would control where the wires would appear. I angled it and then applied a fast blur and then animated it so it was moving from left to right.
Then for the wires layer just set the TrkMat to "luma matte" for the solid layer. This will use the white solid layer you created as a mask for the wires layer.

That's pretty much it. You can then control the size and movement of the white solid to control the visibility of the wires on the animation. And you don't have to re-render if you want to adjust it at all. :)

BlueApple
10-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Lot's of beautiful entries, I am humbled you picked mine. Thank you very much.

art
10-13-2008, 08:06 PM
Congratulations BlueApple. I agree, well deserved.

Hopper
10-13-2008, 08:38 PM
That's pretty much it. You can then control the size and movement of the white solid to control the visibility of the wires on the animation. And you don't have to re-render if you want to adjust it at all. :)
You rock. :rock:

JeffrySG
10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
You rock. :rock:

cheers! :)

RollerJesus
10-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Congrats BlueApple!

colkai
10-14-2008, 08:15 AM
Well done BlueApple! :)

Iain
10-15-2008, 03:47 AM
Lot's of beautiful entries, I am humbled you picked mine. Thank you very much.

Any ideas for the next challenge?

flakester
10-15-2008, 05:03 AM
Grats BlueApple - well deserved! :thumbsup:

flakester.

BlueApple
10-15-2008, 07:37 AM
Any ideas for the next challenge?

How about anything you'd find on a city street?

Iain
10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Sounds cool :thumbsup:

art
10-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Jewelry might be interesting too for one of the challenges.

Hopper
10-15-2008, 09:08 AM
How about anything you'd find on a city street?
Finally ... boobies! :D

sry... couldn't resist.

JeffrySG
10-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Finally ... boobies! :D

sry... couldn't resist.

lmao... I was wondering when that would come back again! hahahah