PDA

View Full Version : Particle Emitters stop emitting?

Hieron
10-02-2008, 04:01 AM
This odd thing is happening here, where I have 2 particle emitters in a scene, that basically just fill up a say "bath". (there are 2, since I am mixing in a few particles in the bigger whole)

They are both set to rather high particle limits (10k and 50k) and I let it calculate by the "start" button in the browser panel.

For some completely odd reason they both stop emitting at a to me random point in time, way before they hit their max. One time when one reached 2k and the other 30k, another time when the smaller hit 1k and the other 17k.. (the calculation continues with the ones present, however also these particles seem to die in time, even though particle age is not even near (and no random factor on it)

I got my particle age way up.. and can't see any other issues.. I do have the birth rate enveloped but once it starts it stays up. (did see some odd issue with it not starting at some point but ok.)

Any clues would be greatly appreciated..

ps: Using 9.3.1, can't reach the scene here but can try to put it online later..

mav3rick
10-02-2008, 04:20 AM
check life time , particle limit, birth rate and generate by frame or sec ?

Andrew March
10-02-2008, 04:21 AM
Try turning your particle age to zero

Hieron
10-02-2008, 04:36 AM
check life time , particle limit, birth rate and generate by frame or sec ?

Life time high enough, particle limit factors higher than it reaches, birth rate is enveloped but stays up, generated by seconds..

Odd thing is that they both stop emitting at the exact same time.. However, I may have turned on (for whatever odd reason) "key effect: key/env". That could lead to some odd birth rate issues perhaps. But I shouldn't have keys other than 0. And it would not explain why my particles start dying, when not even halfway to their lifespan.

Try turning your particle age to zero

I can do that yeah. I'd prefer to take the envelope off my birth rate too, if there would be a way to assign a calculated motion file to start at a later than frame 0 time. (I looked, but you can't right? annoying btw, so is also that you can't displace (normal move etc) a solution.

Thanks alot for those quick replies.. greatly appreciated. As always, I'm on a way too tight schedule and odd stuff like this really is a pain to solve with little time. :)

Andrew March
10-02-2008, 06:38 AM
You can have the emitters start at any time you want by clicking the fixed start box and entering a frame number.

Hieron
10-02-2008, 06:57 AM
You can have the emitters start at any time you want by clicking the fixed start box and entering a frame number.

True, but that overrides the fancy envolope you can set to get it moving. and it only applies to the calculation itself.. I was sort of hoping to have a way to influence the calculated solution.

I like to calculate seperately in another scene, starting around frame 0. But if my total scene could use it alot later, I think you need to have that correctly in the fluid calc. seen too. Doable, but not entirely handy. After all, how hard can it be to influence it after it is done. Like you can influence .mdd data etc.