PDA

View Full Version : Help with lack of polygons

Wra1th^
08-03-2003, 10:12 AM
I recieved an image from a friend, who wants me to make the object on the image. I did the outline by drawing points, and i think the outline looks quite good :) unfortunately, its just an outline and i cannot turn it into a polygon. What i get is the following :

Its an outline, and i have joined it up. Its a polygon, but when i extrude it it just makes the outline wider. I have a big gap in the center of the object. What i want is to make it so that it has a face there...Bah its complex to explain..

Ok, i have a outline of a Mp5. I want to make it so that i have a polygon that depicts a low-detail Side-on view of an mp5. Unfortunately, i just have a big gap there, and cannot fill the gap without making another polygon, and obviously this doesnt fit to the outline. I would have to spend a huge amount of time individually knifing away at the model to get it to work. Please help =\ Is there a command to just say "Fill in between points with polygon" or similar. Thanks in advanced :)

brtk
08-03-2003, 07:02 PM
It would be easier to help u if u posted some screengrabs (not too big please and only significant parts ;)

John Fornasar
08-03-2003, 09:14 PM
You are hitting "p" to turn the points into a polygon, right?

The only other thing I can think of (without a screen shot, like brtk said) is that you are trying to extrude from the wrong viewport.

Wra1th^
08-04-2003, 02:54 AM
The perspective picture is the only way i can extrude. If i extrude the other way it just goes distorted and warped and totally ruins the image. The wireframe is the top down view. I just want to turn the center of the gun that you can see into one big polygon, which i will knife later.

John Fornasar
08-04-2003, 08:23 PM
It looks like you just Extruded a bunch of 2 point polys...

however, you should rethink this model. Even if you are successful in generating a single poly ( a gazillion point poly), it'll be too large to be useful, and probably never look very good.

Try to make it out of primitives to get your basic shape, then bevel, knife, bool, etc. where necessary to smooth and refine it.

Wra1th^
08-05-2003, 06:05 AM
<EDIT> Figured it out. Ignore the rest of this post. Its here if you want to work out how stupid i really am.

So what do you suggest i do? I need to make this model by the end of the working week - four days from now. I had 7 days until i hit this problem. I have uploaded the image i am working from. Any ideas as to how i could create this effectively? And please dont say "Start with something easier" - I cant.

Hmm, it appears I have lost the place to upload images =\ Suffice to say its an mp5 from Stargate. I am working on a Stargate mod for OperationFlashpoint.