PDA

View Full Version : Saying Hi

yorkshiretyker
09-30-2008, 07:15 PM
:newhere:

Well I guess you'll be seeing much more of me in the forums, I've just ordered a copy of lightwave 3D today from onevideo and am awaiting for it to arrive.

I learned the basics 3D during a multimedia course at university using 3Ds Max, since leaving university I've tried Blender and couldn't for the life of me get on with it, looked around the net and saw that LightWave seems to have a very friendly community built around it, and decided that for my 3D adventures, that LightWave was the way to go

I'm playing around with the trial version of lightwave as there a good number of days left on it, hopefully by the time it expires the postman will have something nice for me.

Just out of interest. Does anyone know of any good tutorials out there that I can help creating a 3D Logo in LW.

YT :)

Hopper
09-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Just out of interest. Does anyone know of any good tutorials out there that I can help creating a 3D Logo in LW.
Why yes we certainly do! The following link will give you more than 24 hours worth of awesome free tutorials from our very own William Vaughan... You can start with the

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77002

Welcome to the community!

Essential LW books to have...

LightWave v9 (Dan Alban - New Riders)
LightWave v9 Texturing (Nieves- Wordware Publishing)
LightWave v9 Lighting (Boughen- Wordware Publishing)
Essential LightWave 9 (Warner/Philips/Albee - Wordware Publishing)

virtualcomposer
09-30-2008, 07:45 PM
:newhere:

Well I guess you'll be seeing much more of me in the forums, I've just ordered a copy of lightwave 3D today from onevideo and am awaiting for it to arrive.

I learned the basics 3D during a multimedia course at university using 3Ds Max, since leaving university I've tried Blender and couldn't for the life of me get on with it, looked around the net and saw that LightWave seems to have a very friendly community built around it, and decided that for my 3D adventures, that LightWave was the way to go

I'm playing around with the trial version of lightwave as there a good number of days left on it, hopefully by the time it expires the postman will have something nice for me.

YT :)

Good man. You will not be dissapointed! :lwicon:

Snosrap
09-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Welcome yorkshiretyker! You'll find loads of good people here all with the same desire-to make good art with LW. (Or make really cool free plugins for LW- I like those guys.):)

Welcome aboard.
Snosrap

Stunt Pixels
09-30-2008, 09:41 PM
Don't believe the Lightwave forums are friendly. That's only because you're running the trial version :devil:

Welcome

flakester
09-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Don't believe the Lightwave forums are friendly. That's only because you're running the trial version :devil:

Welcome

He's right YT, the full install invokes the *delete friendly* string from the program folder. It's all downhill from there.

Only joking! Haha, I crack myself up. Well, that's one person I crack up then. :p

Seriously, you'll find a good bunch here, willing to share help and other nuggets of insight.

Welcome aboard.

flakester.

Hopper
09-30-2008, 10:36 PM
We also ***** argue and scream at eachother on a regular basis .. so be prepared..

DiedonD
10-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Welcome Yorkshiretyker. you'll love it here

Appart from the link shown to you for tutorials from Hopper, you can also try our very own Tips and Tricks that are right below there on my signature.

Its named '1001 Tips and Tricks...' Its something weve prepared especially for good newcomers like you :thumbsup:

So enjoy, and the scream and yell thing, dont worry about it, it doesnt gets serious, as mods patrol these areas with their uniformed high heel boots, and they do so quite frequently :thumbsup:

Diedon

Sarford
10-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Welcome to the forums mate, hope you have a good time using LW

JeffrySG
10-01-2008, 06:14 AM
Welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll love lightwave and love the forums even more. This is by far, one of the most helpful and active forums around!

JeffrySG
10-01-2008, 07:11 AM
Two other LW forums that you might be interested in visiting:
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/
http://www.foundation3d.com/forums/

yorkshiretyker
10-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi Guys :)

Thanks for all the replies - getting a bit frustrated at the moment as I still haven't received LW, however I'm told that it'll arrive on Tuesday. So No bitching and screaming at me till then as the friendly string has not been deleted from the program folder yet!

Thanks for the list of tutorials, I've been checking some of them out, but until I get that red box in my hand - I'm not able to settle and properly start on my LW adventures. Look forwards to hearing and sharing with you guys soon :)

YT.

P.S I think in LW 9x there's an option that allows you to keep the friendly string in :thumbsup:

hrgiger
10-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the community YT. I think you'll find it easier to pick up Lightwave then you did with Max. I know I did.

pumeco
10-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Good move YT!

For me, getting LightWave was definately one of my better decisions, although you won't feel the true power until you add stuff like LWCAD3 (that's an absolute must-have I think).

Welcome to this crazy community :thumbsup:

BeeVee
10-06-2008, 06:32 AM
Hi YorkshireTyker,

You can install the trial version, register it, then just plug in your dongle when it arrives and register again. No need to reinstall.

B

yorkshiretyker
10-09-2008, 10:27 AM
The little red box arrived today - very excited! I can move ahead with my LW adventures now :)

Thanks for that BeeVee.
I had the trial version running, but it didn't feel real until I had that little red box in my hand.

Now I have, I'm Going to register and let the LW adventures begin.

jasonwestmas
10-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Awesome! Lightwave is lots of fun these days, esp. for personal work. Gets more friendly all the time. I can say the same for the community.