PDA

View Full Version : New To Mac (Having Problems)

boarslight
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
I just switched to Mac with a new company (Mac Pro, Dual Quad Core, 16GB RAM).

The power is great, but the bugs are bugging me. I'm having the problem of drop down menus not showing up. I've read that some others have been having that problem.

I'm also having a real problem when switching from another program back to LW, or switching between Modeler and Layout. When switching, it can take anywhere between 30 seconds to a Minute for things to become usable.

Is this a Mac issue? If so, does anyone know of a work-around. I haven't disabled the Hub, as of yet. I typically do a lot of switching between them to make modifications.

boarslight
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
I forgot to mention that everything seems to be rather unresponsive while working in either Layout or Modeler...especially for a machine of this caliber. I've read that Mac tends to have some OpenGL problems, but this is kind of silly. I can't even see any OGL representations of Lights unless I do a a quick render.

Are there any settings that I may be missing that can make this better?

BlueApple
09-30-2008, 03:07 PM
A few questions:

What version of Lightwave are you running?
What are your computer specs? (Ram, Video Card, etc…)
What OS are you using?
What other applications (if any) are you running at the same time?

jat
09-30-2008, 03:47 PM
disable spotlight ..............system preferences>spotlight>privacy>click plus sign and select your drive.

also............system prefs>energy saver> processor performance - set to highest or automatic

check your LW prefs......

this might help. Also make sure there is nothing wrong with the drive and that you've updated the system software

Giacomo99
09-30-2008, 04:30 PM
If you're on an Intel Mac, upgrade to OS 10.5.5 and enroll in the Lightwave 9.5 Open Beta program. Earlier configurations can be dicey.

boarslight
10-01-2008, 07:57 AM
A few questions:

What version of Lightwave are you running?
What are your computer specs? (Ram, Video Card, etc…)
What OS are you using?
What other applications (if any) are you running at the same time?

I'm running LW 9.3 on Mac Pro OS X 10.5.4
2x3.2 Quad-Core Intel Xeons
16 GB RAM
Nvidia 8800 GT

Other applications range mostly stay within the Adobe Suite (After Effects, etc), but the problem will happen regardless of running anything.

Kuzey
10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
it's the LW 9.3.1, try the LW9.5 beta instead...much more stable on intel Macs.

Kuzey

boarslight
10-01-2008, 03:06 PM
I just got my 9.5 beta going...I won't be able to really try it out today, so I'll find out how much better it does tomorrow.

I am, however, also having a problem with my camera zoom. The key frames that I add or adjust in the Graph Editor do not have any effect (which is really frustrating). Everything stays exactly as is.

Has anyone experienced this problem before?

BlueApple
10-01-2008, 03:16 PM
I've never noticed any issues with camera zoom.

If you are working with the beta, make sure you post any issues in the beta section of the forum. If this is an issue in 9.3.1, feel free to post your scene and I can take a look at it.

boarslight
10-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Well, 9.5 is MUCH more stable than 9.3. I am still getting some 'unexpected error' crashes on occasion; but much less than before.

Thanks for the advice!

Kuzey
10-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Well, 9.5 is MUCH more stable than 9.3. I am still getting some 'unexpected error' crashes on occasion; but much less than before.

Thanks for the advice!

9.5 isn't fully cooked yet, so report the crashes and bugs you come across on the beta forums :thumbsup:

Kuzey

boarslight
10-02-2008, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I'm trying to. As of now, the forums aren't recognizing me, and won't let me in. I got a message saying that if I can't get in over the next 5 days, to contact customer support.

Oh, the endless joys of customer support...:compbeati