PDA

View Full Version : Plug-in that selects polys to create windows..?

JAW
09-29-2008, 07:40 AM
First off wanna say hello to every1, been a long time since ive posted.

My question is: Im modeling a city scene, and was woundering if there is a plug-in out there that I could select polys (windows) by part selection/surface, and be able to say change the properties of the surface? And to be able to randomly apply those affects/changes to the windows?

ie: color,lum,trans,glow and so on..?

I mostly want it for dark/night scenes, were lights would be on in windows.

IMI
09-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Not a plugin, but all that's in Modeler in the Statistics Panel. The w key is the default shortcut to open it. Depending on if you're in points, Polys or Edges mode, you get different selection options. Polygon mode is what you'd want and there are drop down arrows there for selecting surfaces and parts, in addition to other things.
That's in Modeler, not in Layout, but in either program you can of course change all those surface properties in the Surface Editor (F5 key).
I'm not aware of a way to select them all in Layout without having them in their own layer, but again, you can certainly change all their surface properties provided they have unique named surfaces, in the Surface Editor.

JAW
09-29-2008, 08:11 AM
Not a plugin, but all that's in Modeler in the Statistics Panel. The w key is the default shortcut to open it. Depending on if you're in points, Polys or Edges mode, you get different selection options. Polygon mode is what you'd want and there are drop down arrows there for selecting surfaces and parts, in addition to other things.
That's in Modeler, not in Layout, but in either program you can of course change all those surface properties in the Surface Editor (F5 key).
I'm not aware of a way to select them all in Layout without having them in their own layer, but again, you can certainly change all their surface properties provided they have unique named surfaces, in the Surface Editor.

Sry, I guess I wasnt clear enough. What I want to do is be able to create a part selection ( windows, all of them) then be able to set up mutiply properties for several different windows randomly with out having to create mutiple part selections for each type of window i want to affect.

-for example, i have a building with 2000 windows, i dont want to manually have to randomlly select say 1000 windows and make them white(on) and randomlly select 1000 windows and make them black(off). so my question is, is there a plug-in out there that I can select all 2000 windows, apply affects to them, and the plug-in will randomly apply the changes to say 1250 making them white(on) and say the other 750 be black(off).

I hope thats explains it a little better.

Andrewstopheles
09-29-2008, 08:13 AM
It seems all you would need to do is select the polygons you want to turn into windows and hit "q" on the keyboard to apply a new surface.

Good luck!

IMI
09-29-2008, 08:23 AM
Sry, I guess I wasnt clear enough. What I want to do is be able to create a part selection ( windows, all of them) then be able to set up mutiply properties for several different windows randomly with out having to create mutiple part selections for each type of window i want to affect.

-for example, i have a building with 2000 windows, i dont want to manually have to randomlly select say 1000 windows and make them white(on) and randomlly select 1000 windows and make them black(off). so my question is, is there a plug-in out there that I can select all 2000 windows, apply affects to them, and the plug-in will randomly apply the changes to say 1250 making them white(on) and say the other 750 be black(off).

I hope thats explains it a little better.

Oh, I see what you want now. No, I'm not aware of any plugins to do that, sorry.
Although, I can certainly see the benefit to being able to - you want your animation to look like people in the buildings are randomly turning lights on and off. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a way in LW to do it, but I wouldn't know, and hopefully if someone does know, they'll chime in. I don't know if you can adjust the surface parameters of a part or group of parts to act as separate surfaces even with the same surface names - you might just have to have individual surfaces for every window and use the graph editor to turn them on or off.

cagey5
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm not aware of a plug-in that does what you are aiming for... The random surfacing of a selected number of polys with different values, though it wouldn't surprise me if one existed.

There is a plug-in on Art's site called polygon coloring that is designed to help produce wireframe renders. Don't know whether it could be adapted for this as I've not tried but could be possible.

http://www.artssphere.com/plugins.php

BeeVee
09-29-2008, 09:13 AM
James Willmott has a node plugin called Object ID that allows you to texture objects differently based on their object ID meaning that you can have thousands of clones of objects, each with a different surface (or a set of repeating surfaces).

B

JAW
09-29-2008, 09:39 AM
James Willmott has a node plugin called Object ID that allows you to texture objects differently based on their object ID meaning that you can have thousands of clones of objects, each with a different surface (or a set of repeating surfaces).

B

great, thats what Im looking for, :)

Do you have a link to the node?

IMI
09-29-2008, 11:00 AM
This is probably what you're looking for:
http://www.symmetrix3d.com/index2.php?page=plugins.php
also:
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=2330
It's from November 2006, and is a 32 bit-only plugin.