PDA

View Full Version : Make Joint Chain

Lottmedia
09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
OK, so I've been playing around with the new IK stuff, and the joints seem to work well, by themselves, and I love the Make Joint Chain function for quick setups, but I cannot seem to get them to work right with a mesh. Are there any tutorials out there?

C :cat:

PS..Wierd, now I can't even get a basic chain to work all the sudden, and I'm doing everythign the same :(

SplineGod
09-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Are you setting up and resting the bones in the mesh before applying IK?

Lottmedia
09-29-2008, 07:24 AM
whenever I hit r then the mesh jumps about two steps to the left, then I activate the bones and it gets all melty-like (that's the technical term, right?:)
)

Lottmedia
09-29-2008, 01:54 PM
well, r helped :) I was forgetting and hitting it before I activated the bones, not after, and that made a difference. I still have issues with the results of Make Joint Chain. It works fine by itself, but having two on one mesh they seem to pull on eachother.

SplineGod
09-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Resting the bones does 2 things:
1. Assigns an internal weighting to each vertex as to how much each bone effects each vertex.
2. Activates the bones.

Simply activating the bones insures that there will be problems unless theyre rested first.
Ive seen 2 things cause meshes to decouple from the bones:
1. Activating bones without resting them first.
2. Having null bones that are turned off. Typically I rest every bone and any bones being used as null bones I set their strength to zero.