PDA

View Full Version : Voyager 1&2 spacecraft question

dwburman
09-28-2008, 11:57 AM
I'm looking at pictures of voyager 1 & 2. Some of the pictures show the spacecraft components wrapped in some kind of cloth while other photos show bare metal (or mylar).

Does anyone know if the craft were launched naked or clothed?

JBT27
09-28-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't know, but I'm thinking clothed, because I think the foil is something to do with limiting heat loss - I've read about gold-foil coverings on other spacecraft where this is specifically cited.

Sorry I can't be more definite.

Julian.

Garyrw
09-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Not 100% sure where these pics are but V1 and V2 were launched encased in suborbital capsules.... not from Earth as they are now years out. Cloth probably would incinerate on launch... at a guess... even encased inside another craft like Voyager was. Gold is often used because chemically it only really reacts with tellurium. Plus it justifies the expense... *laugh*

shrox
09-28-2008, 12:59 PM
They are wrapped in insulation. Most all probes are. To be accurate they should be shown with their protective insulation in flight.

I guess I'll be the resident NASA expert, their are allot of space questions I can answer.

dwburman
09-28-2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks everyone,

I started modeling this before I realized how complex the thing is. It'd help if I had better reference material... most of the pics I found are contradictory and lo-res. :)

Here is one of the pics that shows the insulation.

starbase1
09-30-2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks everyone,

I started modeling this before I realized how complex the thing is. It'd help if I had better reference material... most of the pics I found are contradictory and lo-res. :)

Check the Space Modellers yahoo group, they also archive reference material submissions outside the yahoo system. I think it was about 1 year ago someone there got some LARGE copies of the blueprints and scanned them. These had detail down to the individual rivets!

(Voyager was one of the first serious models I made way back, using, err, Povray!)

starbase1
09-30-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks everyone,

I did some digging, you will fiond the BIG images here:
http://www.ninfinger.org/~sven/models/vault2007/Voyager%20plans/index.html

I think you will find the GIF better than my attempts to stitch using panorama software!

Nick