PDA

View Full Version : A Skype warning, for those unaware ..

archijam
09-28-2008, 02:11 AM
I find this very questionable business practice.

I checked my account and all purchased credit has been removed.

So, spend money or add money, or we will ERASE your credit within 6 months.

(Needless to say I did not receive the reminder emails- have to check my spam server.)

Received this today:

Hi there ********,

Unfortunately your Skype Credit balance has expired due to 180 daysí inactivity on your account. We sent you three reminder emails, but as we explained, this now means the balance you had in your account has been cleared.

Below is the Skype Credit expiry policy, detailing why your balance expired.

=== What are the rules for Skype Credit expiry? ===

1. Skype Credit expires 180 days after your last credit purchase or action that used credit eg calling phones, SMS message.
2. Each purchase, call or SMS message resets the expiry time to 180 days.
3. Unfortunately, if you don't use your remaining credit the balance will expire to comply with normal business accounting rules.
4. You will receive reminder emails 30 days, 7 days and 72 hours before your credit expires.

Talk soon,

The people at Skype

blacksmith
09-28-2008, 03:00 AM
I'm using it mostly when I'm flying, so I can talk when connecting flights using my laptop. I usually spend 15$ every couple of months and never had my account or credits expired. In total sum skype saves me a lot of money when talking overseas so even if something like this happen I wouldn't mind.

Make small deposits for 10-15 bucks and you'll be fine!

archijam
09-28-2008, 03:04 AM
For sure. I have been doing only local projects/video calls recently and didn't have to make any calls, I use skype constantly.

Love the program, but 30 euros is still 30 euros (in this case).

A case of RTFSP (small print) I'm just reading it for you all ;) ..

JBT27
09-28-2008, 03:19 AM
Well, bummer, but thanks for letting us know - my business partner uses Skype so I'll tell her - there's enough ranting around here, so I'd hate for something else to come along to add to that potential ..... :D

Julian.

DiedonD
09-28-2008, 04:20 AM
Well this is new policy then. Before, could not make a Skype Out call if you didnt some money in it. And after my first 10 euros cod spent, I remember pretty well that a last remaining 0.01 cents were always there, enough to use the option of making a skype out call and to the ones that dont charge phone calls at all that start with 800.

And that was so for years I know. So this should be new then.

blacksmith
09-28-2008, 05:40 AM
For what I recall, this Skype policy has been on forever. I'm quite sure I remember seeing it the first time I made a deposit.

It's seems like a theft, but the same policy applies to internet services I have from my local provider. If I don't spend my 30GB of monthly limit, remaining is cleared and the next month starts fresh. State regulatory agency seems fine with that!

Just my 0.02c :D

eagleeyed
09-28-2008, 05:45 AM
I have also been using skype for years now. My SkypeIn number is my business telephone number. Never had one problem, plus a year of SkypeIn is one month of line rental here in Aus, so its cheaper.

As for the credit rule, all the documentation I have is that I just have to make at least one call every few months for my credit to stay valid, my current credit is seven months old now and hasn't expired, just because I make a few calls here and there.

I personally dont see it as theft, all pre-paid phone services over here in Aus (mobile phones) (except the very rare provider who offers no expiry) also have expiry dates where if you dont use your credit in 3/6/12 months you have lost it.

cresshead
09-28-2008, 10:12 AM
i had a reminder email a while back...you just need to call or just dial a number without any actual call taking place and your account is extended

looks like your email either wasn't sent to you or got hosed by a 'spam' filter maybe?