PDA

View Full Version : Netiquette - Not a lightwave question more forum rules type thing?

Talc
09-27-2008, 06:55 PM
This will sound like a completely newbie question however can anyone explain to me (Because i know you guys are so cool) what a troll is? I thought they hid under bridges & tried to eat you if you didn't know the answer to some obscure question. As opposed to someone with a strong opinion that you simply flame if you don't like what their saying?

Or am i wrong & find my self being a troll in most of my posts, possibly a gollum or isn't that a creature made of clay, maybe even a CGI character in a block buster film.....:)

hrgiger
09-27-2008, 07:01 PM
A troll is someone who is looking to start a fight basically on the forums. Intentionally baiting or provoking others to incite a flame war.

Oedo 808
09-27-2008, 07:15 PM
A troll is someone with bad grammar.

Talc
09-27-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not sure if on both counts i might be considered guilty. I do like fueled debates & when ever possible light the match that sets things burning (not so as people flame each other) more like interesting topics with heated discussion!

& yes my grammar ain't what it ought too be!:D

RudySchneider
09-27-2008, 07:31 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Oedo 808
09-27-2008, 07:41 PM
& yes my grammar ain't what it ought too be!:D

Not to worry, trolling has nothing to do with grammar really. :D

Talc
09-27-2008, 07:59 PM
I've just read the wiki & it looks like i might be a "Troll" but it didn't sound all bad! Is there such a thing as a good troll i.e. sparking forums into life if they become stale?

I'd like to think I'm a good person, i might be "stupid" but i bare no malice or ill will. However i can't resist making a fool of my self.

The world needs a few village idiots?:hey:

Oedo 808
09-27-2008, 08:12 PM
You replied too quickly and thus robbed me the chance of starting an ironic flame war about what a forum troll was, I was relishing the thought of that. :cry:

That Wiki sounds like it carries every loose interperetation there is going about what a troll might be, guess it has to really as a Wiki. Basically a troll is being a cock, being a clown is fine as long as you adhere to the strict NewTek Forums Funniness FAQ.

shrox
09-27-2008, 08:19 PM
hrgiger is a troll. Or wait, oh that's a pig. The lipstick fooled me.

Talc
09-27-2008, 08:31 PM
FAQ For Fun on the Forum, Fantastic !:)

geothefaust
09-27-2008, 08:36 PM
FAQ For Fun on the Forum, Fantastic !:)

HR's Icon = sarah palin (No caps? Oh snap!!!)

Heh. A troll is... Well, lots of things which were already described. But I will say this; If you want to easily find a troll, try going to any forum that talks about video games. Especially the IGN forums *vomits*

Oedo 808
09-27-2008, 08:48 PM
hrgiger is not logged in right now, he's indulging in his new free spirit approach to life of walking naked through the fields (http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/09/an-amazeing-likeness-of-sarah.html).

eagleeyed
09-27-2008, 08:51 PM
imdb is also a common troll hangout now.

Just go to any popular movie thread. You will always find trolls in the forums, hence why I dont go there anymore for the forums.

Just find a topic that most people will hate, for example, one that always gets them going on the Happy Feet forum is calling Mumble gay or complaining about how vulgar all the sexually expressive positions and noises are.

WALL·E was also called a girl basher on a WALL·E fan forum, thought a full on punch out would start, it was actually quite funny to read everyone in the forum up in arms yelling at this one person who was having the time of their lives.

That second case I listed in what I feel is the perfect example of a troll, just causing trouble for the hell of it.

hrgiger
09-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Yes, I suppose you could consider my current icon trollish.

It's purely unintentional I swear (ouch, cramp in my fingers as I try to uncross them).

hrgiger
09-27-2008, 09:23 PM
hrgiger is not logged in right now, he's indulging in his new free spirit approach to life of walking naked through the fields (http://trailblazersblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/09/an-amazeing-likeness-of-sarah.html).

Well, at least they won't have to put manure in that field. It's already got plenty of bs in it.

shrox
09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Yes, I suppose you could consider my current icon trollish.

It's purely unintentional I swear (ouch, cramp in my fingers as I try to uncross them).

Oh yeah, hot pink lipstick and blue eye shadow, with a little glitter, tube top, roller skates and XY chromosomes. Ikk!

TripD
09-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Heh... well a Troll with lipstick......

hrgiger
09-27-2008, 09:37 PM
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a troll is the saying I think you're after.

Hopper
09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Talc, you have 78 posts... you can't be a troll yet. You haven't earned it. See the number on hrgiger's avatar? Notice his little light is green? Ever see it not green?

There ya go... :D

geothefaust
09-28-2008, 11:20 PM
...The real reason he upgraded his other license of LW was he could have a reason to come here, as to not lose his point count. :p

Intuition
09-29-2008, 12:23 AM
HR's avatar cracks me up. :D

DiedonD
09-29-2008, 12:31 AM
And how about we use our creative juices and name the other troublemaking kind. The ones that seekout YOUR posts personally, and target only your posts and, just have it personally with you all the time.

Now this shouldnt be a troll then. See a troll comes here to unleash hell by hot posts and just have fun from all the attention. These people have been locked in, and target only your posts.

Both trolls and these people usually get noticed BTW Talc. ANd are handled accordingly by mods dont worry.

But how do we name it?

I was thinking: ghosts (haunted ones that dont go away), or wraiths, witches, vodoo... Come on help me out here... bad sorcerer, ammmm.... anyone else has any ideas?

This is good cause we could come up with something good that after years into the future, the origins of our choosen name could be traced to have been first created here, on our forum, and on this thread :hey:

Tom Wood
09-29-2008, 07:43 AM
If you really want to have a hot time in the forums, go to the political forums like Little Green Footballs or DailyKos. Say anything remotely not in the party line and you're labeled a troll and treated appropriately. After a rough and tumble there, it can be hard to scale it back for normal discussions.

DiedonD
09-29-2008, 08:31 AM
If you really want to have a hot time in the forums, go to the political forums like Little Green Footballs or DailyKos. Say anything remotely not in the party line and you're labeled a troll and treated appropriately. After a rough and tumble there, it can be hard to scale it back for normal discussions.

Hmmm... Perhaps thats where trolls come from. And you forgot to put any action video game fan forum over there on your list.

Tom Wood
09-29-2008, 09:20 AM
And you forgot to put any action video game fan forum over there on your list.

Well now THERE'S an idea! Those folks would love to have virtual weaponry in those forums. Figure out how to turn the comments section of a forum into a video war game and you'll be rich!

DiedonD
09-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Well now THERE'S an idea! Those folks would love to have virtual weaponry in those forums. Figure out how to turn the comments section of a forum into a video war game and you'll be rich!

Yes indeed. Especially the hardcore fans!! "THATS NOT BLACK" they would yell to utter darkness man!

I wonder if they have a name for the above mentioned troublemaker.

Its like we are profiling a criminal lol. Like FBI profilers :D

danielkaiser
09-29-2008, 01:35 PM
I was thinking: ghosts (haunted ones that dont go away), or wraiths, witches, vodoo... Come on help me out here... bad sorcerer, ammmm.... anyone else has any ideas?

Ignorant Idiots or my favorite, As*holes!!!!

DiedonD
09-29-2008, 02:39 PM
Ignorant Idiots or my favorite, As*holes!!!!

Well not that I dont like it, its not that bad really! But it must have a cyber vocabulary to it, or a twist in the same paste like the "troll" is.

The character troll fits to the attempt of an "attention seeking by inflamatory posts"

In the same regard, the other kind seeks "showing oneself better then the other single targeted one. Receive attention and positive regard from the rest to the other ones demise".

Hmmmm.... What was the woman in Cinderella's story again? Cinderalla is the one with the shoe right?

geothefaust
09-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, keeping in line with the fantasy theme (Troll), how about an Orc, or something like that?

But it's painfully obvious what a baiting troll should be called... A Siren.

daforum
09-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Maybe they could be called "Tauntons" like the creatures Luke and Han rode on in Empire Strikes Back on the ice planet Hoth.

They made horrible noises all the time. Smell bad (according to Han Solo) and spill their guts in a nasty way.

Oh, and the pun is the word "Taunt..." Sorry!

daforum
09-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Maybe they could be called "Tauntons" like the creatures Luke and Han rode on in Empire Strikes Back on the ice planet Hoth.

They made horrible noises all the time. Smell bad (according to Han Solo) and spill their guts in a nasty way.

Oh, and the pun is the word "Taunt..." Sorry!

Make that "Tauntaun" ( i just checked the spelling ):bangwall:

DiedonD
09-30-2008, 01:13 AM
Tauntaun can qualify i think. Anybody else agrees?

Just look into the dark persona and there must be a character that fits in it?

See above

DiedonD
09-30-2008, 03:59 AM
:devil::devil::devil,,ee::lwicon::thumbsup::newtek :,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, jg

jaxtone
09-30-2008, 04:41 AM
What the heck was this thread about anyway?

3DGFXStudios
09-30-2008, 04:47 AM
I'm a troll. look at me man....

blacksmith
09-30-2008, 04:51 AM
What the heck was this thread about anyway?

I believe cyber expression for it is HIJACKED!

:hijack:

danielkaiser
09-30-2008, 11:58 AM
Being this is a 3d forum I say we call them Nulls as in null object, they have their use, but they don't render.

Tom Wood
09-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Null unit! (http://tron.wikia.com/wiki/Null_unit)

DiedonD
09-30-2008, 01:35 PM
:devil::devil::devil,,ee::lwicon::thumbsup::newtek :,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, jg

Oh I mustve left the 'Reply to Thread' open for my kids to do their magic it seems :D .

sorry about that

Talc
09-30-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm liking the 3d "null" angle, however im thinking "N-gon" because they're troublesom little buggers that all ways cause proplems with my renders:D

N-gon be gone (waves a magic wond in the air & a troll appears!)

geothefaust
09-30-2008, 06:30 PM
Dude, you are so on it. Talc, I nominate your idea.

I vote: N-Gon!

DiedonD
10-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Alright to sum it all up, we have: Tauntaun, Null and N-Gone

Perhaps we should make a poll and see which one of them wins

meshpig
10-01-2008, 01:32 AM

... or a parody of that no longer funny Dame Edna thing/routine... Pigs = Good and Trolls= Bad!

Pigs only use their powers for Good.

hrgiger
10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
I respect the pig. Now I'm on to bunnies. So much cuter then trolls.

Talc
10-01-2008, 06:57 PM
Hrgiger, sorry to break the news but that bunny aint cute & if memory serves me correct then you need to watch out for a large jet engine "Duck!"

Quack, quack:jester:

Oops now we've moved from "Trolls!" (Nulls/Tauntauns/N-gons) what will this thread do next?

DiedonD
10-02-2008, 02:59 AM
Hrgiger, sorry to break the news but that bunny aint cute & if memory serves me correct then you need to watch out for a large jet engine "Duck!"

Quack, quack:jester:

Oops now we've moved from "Trolls!" (Nulls/Tauntauns/N-gons) what will this thread do next?

Crate a poll maybe. Saying "Which name do you prefer for the other more selective troublemaker (NOT TROLLS)"

Cause I dont know how to open such aye thread.

blacksmith
10-02-2008, 05:51 AM
Crate a poll maybe. Saying "Which name do you prefer for the other more selective troublemaker (NOT TROLLS)"

Cause I dont know how to open such aye thread.

There is "Yes, post a poll with this thread" check box at the bottom of the page when you are starting a new thread. After that you have number of poll questions and so on.

DiedonD
10-02-2008, 06:15 AM
There is "Yes, post a poll with this thread" check box at the bottom of the page when you are starting a new thread. After that you have number of poll questions and so on.

Thanks. I like your name BTW. Seriosly. I kinda think that what we do here is what humans always did in Blacksmithery, just that they didnt had the technology, thats all.

Ok Ill see what I can do now regarding that.

blacksmith
10-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks. I like your name BTW. Seriosly. I kinda think that what we do here is what humans always did in Blacksmithery, just that they didnt had the technology, thats all.

Ok Ill see what I can do now regarding that.

No problems mate. It's all hard labour in the end :)

Talc
10-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm about to watch the 3rd season of Heroes wednesdays BBC 2 9pm, iplayer repeat!

Will i be as disapointed as the poll to redefine the word "Troll" cause season 2 sucked:devil:

DiedonD
10-03-2008, 03:08 AM
I'm about to watch the 3rd season of Heroes wednesdays BBC 2 9pm, iplayer repeat!

Will i be as disapointed as the poll to redefine the word "Troll" cause season 2 sucked:devil:

Yeah tell me about it. The poll thread got closed in 10 posts!

You know its all your fault Blacksmith! Mate you shouldnt have given me the information of how to open such a poll thread in the first place! Im not a good candidate for such a thing cause It seems Im already 'netiquetted' with God knows what, but it aint good Ill tell you that!

blacksmith
10-03-2008, 05:21 AM
Yeah tell me about it. The poll thread got closed in 10 posts!

You know its all your fault Blacksmith! Mate you shouldnt have given me the information of how to open such a poll thread in the first place! Im not a good candidate for such a thing cause It seems Im already 'netiquetted' with God knows what, but it aint good Ill tell you that!

DiedonD, how I was supposed to know what you are up to!? You asked how to make a poll and I told you so. There is no point blaming me for your actions. Sorry.

DiedonD
10-03-2008, 08:34 AM
DiedonD, how I was supposed to know what you are up to!? You asked how to make a poll and I told you so. There is no point blaming me for your actions. Sorry.

Yeah alright. No worries mate. Was kinda kidding anyhow. How can it be your fault? LOL

These days... I cant even have a thread opened without it beeing flamed from all sides no matter what.