PDA

View Full Version : Current Best Utility for Cel Shading?

digitalH2O
09-27-2008, 05:33 PM
I recall Unreal Extreme was pretty damned cool but has since gone COMMOUT. BESM is always an option too as well as the built-in LW line tracers.

But what's the best option? Are there some I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

dH2O

Oedo 808
09-27-2008, 07:48 PM
I'm only an amatuer enthusiast so someone else may know better, but having played about with BESM in the past and having seen William Vaughan's tutorial on using nodes I'd really like to give the latter a try and see what I could come up with that way, as it looks like it gives you great control without being over complicated:

Creating a 2D Cel Shade look with the Node Editor. (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/CelShade.mov)

By the way the reason I haven't yet is finding time and more to the point, my PSU blew up.

dwburman
09-27-2008, 08:42 PM
There's also LoveFish (http://jimstein-code.blogspot.com/2006/03/lovefish.html) but I've never used it. It looks promising and it's free (PC only), but it hasn't been updated since LW 8.

When I did a cel shaded project several years ago I used the Unreal toon shader. At least I used unreal to do the edges/line work. I found that I got better results when I set the render resolution really high and then rendered it at 50% size.

It's fairly easy to set up a cel-shade thing in nodal.

SplineGod
09-27-2008, 09:11 PM
There is a problem when using gradients to get the dark ink lines. You can get a weird looking crawling when the surfaces have extreme angles with respect to the camera.

digitalH2O
09-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Hmm, Lovefish I'd never heard of. Interesting.

What happened to Unreal? I was hoping LW9 or LW10 would have it built in, maybe even making it more powerful in some ways. Well here's to hoping.

paulhart
09-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I have been disappointed in the lack of any attention to NPR (non-photo realistic) rendering in Lightwave. Unreal has been a nice alternate to the built-in Lightwave edge render, but it can be unstable, hard to use for some of the more calligraphic/artistic looks and doesn't currently seem to work with 9.5... so yes, help is needed. Incidence angle and nodes get part of the deal done, but have problems, and major limitations. Currently some very exciting development is going on the Blender side. The GSoC (Google Summer of Code) sponsored five projects for Blender, one of which is Freestyle integration (by Maxime) into the Blender render pipeline. Currently it hasn't been fully integrated into the Compositor Node pipeline and needs the Style GUI (also planned), but this is expected so it can be composited with whatever modified streams from the render engine can be created, which is already a very positive playground, if you haven't tried it out. I am playing with it in it's current Beta stage with one of the Builds from Graphicall.org (There are three, one for each platform, and extensive documentation on the SourceForge Freestyle reference.) I would love to see UnReal Extreme more fully developed, integrated, 9.5+ ready, but Freestyle already offers more calligraphic line options. This is an area that Illustrators values, animators crave, ArchViz must have, yet it lingers, the forgotten child.... never understood this lapse in attention. Oh, well "brighter" minds have made the choices.
Paul

SplineGod
09-28-2008, 10:58 PM
I guess its just another part of LW that needs to "get in line" while other things are being done. :)

digitalH2O
10-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Theoretically, what would it take to make this happen?

OOZZEE
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
there is a great cel shading video by William in the 24 hrs of LW training... the results are very nice.

OOZZEE
10-01-2008, 02:02 PM
aah just saw it was posted already.