PDA

View Full Version : Drill>Slice : am i using it properly?

stevmjon
09-26-2008, 11:09 PM
hello

i have a simple segmented box in the background, and a plain box in the foreground. both flat.

i used Drill>Slice and only get the outline of the background object on the foreground one. i made sure the correct axis is selected_z in this case.

i have v9.2 , v9.3.1 , v9.5 installed, and it is the same result in all of them.
is there a bug, or do i need to do something specific to get it to work?

thanks stevmjon

TripD
09-27-2008, 12:51 AM
Hmmm.... looks like only the 'silhouette' slices the smaller box. I managed to work around that by swapping layers and using the slice in reverse. Then you can just clean up the extra polys.

Dunno if that will work in your case.

Surrealist.
09-28-2008, 05:20 AM
hello

i have a simple segmented box in the background, and a plain box in the foreground. both flat.

i used Drill>Slice and only get the outline of the background object on the foreground one. i made sure the correct axis is selected_z in this case.

i have v9.2 , v9.3.1 , v9.5 installed, and it is the same result in all of them.
is there a bug, or do i need to do something specific to get it to work?

thanks stevmjon

LOL!

Strange but it does not work like that. You'd think. But no. What you have to do to get that particular scenario to work is cntl. u for unweld. Use that command on the background mesh. That will give you polys not connected. Drill only works on the boundary of the connected mesh. So just remember the shape of anything you want to drill will be the outline only.

stevmjon
09-28-2008, 08:16 AM
thanks tripd and surrealist.

after my post, i researched this a little more, and soon realised that indeed it only works on the boundary of the background layer. then i was thinking about how to turn the background object into 2 point poly's (forgotten how).

i will try unweld, thanks for this info surrealist.

stevmjon

Surrealist.
09-28-2008, 11:30 PM
To make the mesh into two point polys you would still have to unweld then you could use the extrude tool and pull it out far enough to lasso select and delete the new polys leaving the originals behind. This will leave a chain/grid of two point polys. Use the sats window w to select them and do what you want from there. But for this, another step and it makes the calculation take much longer. Better just to use the polys. Just telling you though so you remember how to do that if you need it in the future.

geothefaust
09-29-2008, 12:19 AM
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/dl_link.html?Drill.mov

This might help you.

stevmjon
09-29-2008, 09:08 PM
thanks for your input dudes.

it's just what i needed.

stevmjon