PDA

View Full Version : Texture updates

Bigboy
08-02-2003, 01:55 PM
Hiya all,

This seems simple but.... Im trying to draw a texture map, and have lightwave update it so I can see the results... but it never "refreshes" it.

In modeler, I have to load the image over the top of the other one, which is long winded and .... crap....

In scene layout, I have to unload the scene and reload it. isnt there a "refresh" textures button somewhere? Something based on the date+time or something?

How about an LScript? Seems like such a simple thing, your KNOW it has to be there somewhere...

lil help?

richpr
08-02-2003, 02:14 PM
Use VIPER... Turn it on, do a quick render, then start playing with the surface settings and see them change in VIPER...

Bigboy
08-02-2003, 03:20 PM
Wouldnt this show the same problem?

The texture has already been loaded and cached, so even if I change it, its not reloaded.

VIPER only does material properties rather than reloading the textures themselves.....doesnt it?

wacom
08-02-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Bigboy
Hiya all,

This seems simple but.... Im trying to draw a texture map, and have lightwave update it so I can see the results... but it never "refreshes" it.

In modeler, I have to load the image over the top of the other one, which is long winded and .... crap....

In scene layout, I have to unload the scene and reload it. isnt there a "refresh" textures button somewhere? Something based on the date+time or something?

How about an LScript? Seems like such a simple thing, your KNOW it has to be there somewhere...

lil help?

I go into edit image then I replace it- seems to work everytime for me and I never have to restart LW. What seems stupid can for some people be a time saver...

richpr
08-02-2003, 05:29 PM
You might be right, I would have to check... but my machine rendering... Wacom's trick might do it then...

Bigboy
08-03-2003, 04:22 AM
I go into edit image then I replace it- seems to work everytime for me and I never have to restart LW. What seems stupid can for some people be a time saver...

Yeah, Ive done this, but its a real pain when building a complex texture, and you want to see it on the model, there should be an automatic update tickbox really.

I did this in modeler, but never thought about this in layout... that helps.. thanks... I wonder if they've added this to 8?

You might be right, I would have to check... but my machine rendering... Wacom's trick might do it then...

I tried this, didn't help - what wacom trick? :)

Danner
08-03-2003, 06:29 AM
there is a pluggin that makes this easier, it's an Aura-Lw6 pluggin that comes with the toaster.. you edit your mapped image in Aura and and push a button in Aura and your image in lightwave is updated
I'm home so can't give more specific details but I did play with if for a while and it worked.

Bigboy
08-03-2003, 04:02 PM
That sounds ideal! I wonder why its not supplied as standard?

And I wonder if its scriptable.... Mmmmmm...

toby
08-03-2003, 09:02 PM
What you're asking for is a 'Hub' between your paint program and Lightwave. If Newtek didn't make the paint program, there won't be a hub.

I think what you need is a 3D paint program like Deep Paint or ZBrush

Maimo
08-03-2003, 10:36 PM
it would be cool if LW hubb checked the image files at regular intervals and updated them if the file properties changed.

but that could also be anoying, there would hve to be switch for that.

Bigboy
08-04-2003, 01:30 AM
Not even anything that complicated.... how about a key just to refresh or something.... or even a tick box in the image properties "Auto-update" or "Auto-Refresh"

Oh well.... I wonder if anyone from newtek is reading this... *sniff*

CiaranM
08-04-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by toby
What you're asking for is a 'Hub' between your paint program and Lightwave. If Newtek didn't make the paint program, there won't be a hub.
I think what you need is a 3D paint program like Deep Paint or ZBrush

Nah you don't need a Hub. I used to work with Animation Master and Paint Shop Pro and the textures would automatically update with every render. If A:M can do it I sure hope LW would implement it. Maybe if they reloaded images with every new render or would that really slow things down? It is fairly annoying as it is.

Gollum
08-05-2003, 07:14 AM
I also got into the habbit of using replace to update my textures. Just click on replace, hit enter and you're done. I agree that an automatic update option would be very usefull though.

Maimo
08-05-2003, 08:41 AM
is there a plugin to update all textures out there?

that might be neat and assign it to a key ?

toby
08-05-2003, 03:03 PM
LScript Commander might be the way to go

manproof
05-15-2006, 03:56 PM
I have been looking for a solution to this as well and LScript sounds promising. Sadly, all of my work with LScript has involved opening the Commander in Layout, performing some tasks, and then making a macro from the recorded actions. The problem here is that Compiler records the opening of the Surface Editor and that's all.

What I would like is to:

1. acquire the first surface of a selected object
2. if there is an image used in that surface, replace it (with itself)
3. go to the object's next surface, and repeat step 2
4. stop when the objectís last surface has been checked and/or updated

Sticking this on a button in Modeler would be a huge help for me, and likely others. If any of you LScript gurus could point me in the right direction, I would really appreciate it.

manproof
05-19-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm working through the LScript documentation and am starting to put something together. What I am having trouble with is determining how to see if there is an image used on a given surface. Anyone know how to check for this? My goal is to have it return the image's name so I can then reload that image.

Thanks.

toby
05-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Much better chance getting an answer on the lscript forum -
http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30

Whit
05-20-2006, 12:53 PM
There is a free plugin called Auto Image Replace available on the DSTORM website. Take a look at:

http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/image.htm#AutoImageReplace

--Whit

RedBull
05-20-2006, 04:38 PM
And also Colins AutoView, which updates interactively.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50064&highlight=Colin+Cohen

manproof
05-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Whit and Redbull, thanks for the links. I'm going to check both of those plugins out; they look like they'll get the job done. I may still move this to the LScript discussion, as Toby suggested.

Thanks to all of you for your excellent help.