PDA

View Full Version : FiberFX - HELP! HELP! HELP!

ben martin
09-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Hi FiberFX experts,

I have this character where I need to do some facial animation.

I'm using FiberFX to grow a beard on the guy.
I used Modeler "FiberFX" tool to grow some guide lines in the face (beard surface).

After all that I sent the character to Layout to setup the FXfibers to render, till this point all is cool!

When I started to do some facial animation my chin hit the ground when I discovered that the FiberFX guide lines are not following the face mesh deformations.
I'm desperate… any one knows if I'm missing something to make that FiberFX beard guides to follow the facial mesh deformation (facial animation)?

Andrewstopheles
09-26-2008, 03:49 PM
wish i could help but i don't know for sure - would you try to use metalink and parent he fiber guides to the deforming mesh and set displacement to last?
or, when making the fibers grow them from the mesh you are going to displace, before displacing, then displace and the fibers should follow?
just wild guesses on my part, hopefully someone will correct me and tell you the right way
btw there's a thread by Proton with lots of Fiber Tutorials at http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=753949&posted=1#post753949

dballesg
09-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi Ben,

Are you using morphs? Because I found a similar problem with Sasquatch, using morphs and FX Metalink. 3 years ago!!! Never managed to solve it.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43025

David

WilliamVaughan
09-26-2008, 04:11 PM
why wouldn't you morph the guides with the mesh?

hrgiger
09-26-2008, 05:16 PM
Yes, dont you morph the eyelashes with the eyelid when you close it? It would be the same with hair guides.

WilliamVaughan
09-26-2008, 05:21 PM
guides are just geometry....so you have to build morphs for it if you want it to morph with the face...there might be a work around of sorts but this is the nature of teh beast IMHO

ben martin
09-26-2008, 07:10 PM
wish i could help but i don't know for sure - would you try to use metalink...
I'm considering it... it was my fist though but I was expecting for something more direct, anyway, if nothing else works, that it'll be the next try.

Hi Ben,
Are you using morphs?
David
Only to the eyelids, all the rest is a facial bone rig... a creeeepy facial bone rig... my animator is bone's crazy... but that's another story! :)

why wouldn't you morph the guides with the mesh?
You have a point, but that solution collides with the previous issue: (facial bone-rig)

Yes, dont you morph the eyelashes with the eyelid when you close it? It would be the same with hair guides.
Like I said... bone rig... nevertheless that idea crossed my mind and we tried to do endomorphs, but this is a character cartoon type and the face mesh must be able to achieve completely nuts expressions (morphs can't provide that) but even if it could be done like that, selecting all that beard guides to morph (~1000 guides in the beard) is a problem to deal with, it's not like eyelashes. :)

guides are just geometry....so you have to build morphs for it if you want it to morph with the face...there might be a work around of sorts but this is the nature of teh beast IMHO

Oh boy! I'm going to end crazy... someone call me a doctor, please! Obi-one, you are my only hope.... :bangwall:
Thanks anyway guys... for caring!

WilliamVaughan
09-26-2008, 07:23 PM
It's even easier if you are doing a bone rig. Use the "use Bones From" option in the bone properties panel and the guides will move with teh face...some how I missed that you were using bones... easy setup

ben martin
09-27-2008, 04:41 AM
It's even easier if you are doing a bone rig. Use the "use Bones From" option in the bone properties panel and the guides will move with teh face...some how I missed that you were using bones... easy setup
Wow, you just saved my week!
Thank you very much!!! You're the man! :thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
09-27-2008, 08:45 AM
good to hear...cant wait to see an example of what your doing! good luck!

ben martin
09-27-2008, 01:18 PM
...cant wait to see an example of what your doing! good luck!
You will see when the proper time comes, and thanks again! :)

mav3rick
09-27-2008, 05:42 PM
yea with guides done in modeler only solutiion is to go with bone deformation ... or you can style your hair inside layout and see what happen than....

WilliamVaughan
09-28-2008, 10:25 AM
I've had alot of people ask about this so I thought a video would help.

Animating hair guides that are in a separate layer from the base mesh:
Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Fiber_UseBones.mov)

ben martin
09-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I've had alot of people ask about this so I thought a video would help.

Animating hair guides that are in a separate layer from the base mesh:
Right-Click Here to save (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/LW_9/Fiber_UseBones.mov)

Wow, you deserve all cents NT can pay to you!
You are a really nice (non stop) cool person!

Since I started to see your videos (couple of moths ago) that I (me and my team) learned more about LW than from the last 10 years... your tuition is priceless!
Many thanks! :thumbsup:

ben martin
09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
By the way... by the tests I’ve done yesterday using this method, there is something that need to be said, if the mesh is bone deformed without using any weight maps, the FiberFX guides layer do not deform equally matching the body (character) mesh, and at some areas due to deformation drift, the guides even cross inside the base mesh boundaries disappearing (if we are using short guides that is).

This can be solved drawing some extra bones at empty areas to achieve a structural bone dense rig setup (less influence drift).