PDA

View Full Version : Meni is a putz

redlum
08-02-2003, 01:36 PM
The new Meni animation, Terra, although nice to look at and created completely in Lightwave, was insulting to watch. The last few seconds are typical of the usual left coast mentality that the United States is out to dominate the world, or in this case, Saturn. It would have been far less insulting and maybe a little closer to the true to have a Starbucks logo on the approaching space craft. But I'm not going to assume Meni, or any leftist has a sense of humor.

lone
08-02-2003, 03:18 PM
sorry to hear it.

pblacklock
08-02-2003, 04:31 PM
might have been a tribute to the astronauts who lost their lives?

Amadeus0
08-02-2003, 05:13 PM
Actually when I first saw the LARGE number of stars, I starting laughing, and said "NOW That's my USA!"

I thought it was pretty funny, no matter what Meni meant to say...

UnCommonGrafx
08-02-2003, 06:00 PM
I think your interpretation is based on your perspective and probably not indicative of Meni's.

I didn't see it like you did, and I'm a US citizen. I did see it as 'my' usa though: arrogant in it's way at the moment yet if other countries had a chance to be a star, they would snatch at the chance. Sad.
Love my country but arrogance is hard to get out of a people.

Man, musta hit a nerve....

bobakabob
08-02-2003, 06:05 PM
I'm not going to assume Meni, or any leftist has a sense of humor.

That is really not constructive criticism worthy of a forum like this or the man's talents. IMO it was a superbly crafted film with stunning visuals and a thought provoking ending.

That's just what good art should be.

caleb
08-02-2003, 07:20 PM
I saw meni's work several times. I thought the stars were funny.

From a historical perspective the stars were an effective cue to the time when the film was happening. There are more stars on the US flag than when Betsy Ross sewed the first one. We have added territory since then. The stars on meni's flag may not refer, as you do, to terrestrial domination. Perhaps they represent states on different planets, ie mars or the moon. Aren't you being just a little earth-centric?

Maimo
08-03-2003, 03:58 AM
I think it was clear, and he had a definate statment to make and we all know what that is. I think Newtek had alot of balls showing it off at siggraph, but It was nicely done, And that's what I saw first! Regarless of the political message.

Alan Daniels
08-04-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by bobakabob
That is really not constructive criticism worthy of a forum like this or the man's talents.

This is the "general comments" section. Isn't this where threads like this would go?

IMO it was a superbly crafted film with stunning visuals and a thought provoking ending.

I definitely agree about the stunning visuals. I didn't find anything thought provoking about the ending, however; just a typical America-bashing dig, served up as a plot twist.

bobakabob
08-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Hmmm, my first post was about redlum's tone. Calling someone a 'putz' is way out of order and hardly constructive criticism.

What's wrong with expressing opinions, perspectives or points of view in a film? IMO Meni's film was a cool well paced and visually strong little film, and yes, thought provoking - that is it gives the audience something to think about. Isn't that called freedom... I seem to recall something about a 'First Amendment'? :) 'Nuff said.

Alan Daniels
08-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by bobakabob
Calling someone a 'putz' is way out of order and hardly constructive criticism.

Well, I'll agree with you there, using the word "putz" is a bit much. At the same time, just because someone is talented as an artist, doesn't mean that their political statements should be above any criticism.

I seem to recall something about a 'First Amendment'?

The first amendment is about what the government cannot do, in regards to infringing on the free speech rights of individuals. Irrelevant to any discussion here.

TyVole
08-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Just a word of caution, redlum -- you might believe that "putz" is just a benign term for a "jerk," but it is actually very vulgar Yiddish slang.

bobakabob
08-04-2003, 01:36 PM
At the same time, just because someone is talented as an artist, doesn't mean that their political statements should be above any criticism.

Agreed - criticism and debate is great as long as it's constructive and you allow someone the right to express themselves freely without degenerating into cheap shots or personal abuse. 'Nuff 'nuff said ;)

redlum
08-04-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by TyVole Just a word of caution, redlum -- you might believe that "putz" is just a benign term for a "jerk," but it is actually very vulgar Yiddish slang.

I know what 'putz' means. It's the same as wang, johnson, john thomas, willy, trouser snake, rod, pin, hose, noodle, tinkler, dupah, schvantz, sausage, wiener, etc, etc, etc. :)

I seem to recall something about a 'First Amendment'?

Yes and that swings both ways. I didn't say he couldn't have his leftist views I only said they were insulting and typical coming from someone living in CA.

I think Newtek had alot of balls showing it off at siggraph, but It was nicely done, And that's what I saw first! Regardless of the political message.

Absolutely, and it is a good example of the power of Lightwave. Regardless of the insulting message.

Ade
08-07-2003, 06:35 AM
Just like hollywood, full of trash.

JDaniel
08-07-2003, 07:57 AM
We are taking over the world. Shh, they're not suppose to know! It's a secret! Making most of the world learn our language and customs is just the beginning. :D :p

redlum
08-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by JDaniel
We are taking over the world. Shh, they're not suppose to know! It's a secret! Making most of the world learn our language and customs is just the beginning. :D :p

Thank God they haven't found the secret messages hidden in the Starbucks logo!

talos72
08-08-2003, 09:11 AM
I think Meni's stuff is very well done, and frankly he has the right to express his opinion...even if it is to criticize the US policies. Someone mentioned arrogance, and I have to agree with regards to the current administration. Some artists are just willing to tell the truth!