PDA

View Full Version : Copying graphs - get random graphs!

yaschan
09-26-2008, 06:02 AM
I have this strange problem.
I have made a graph in graph editor, which happens to be light intensity graph of a certain light. Then, I want to copy this graph into a channel of lens flare, flare intensity.
So I copy the channel, and all of a sudden when I'm pasting it, I'm getting a random graph. I have tried everything, resetting it, trying from beginning, and always I'm getting different version. I tried saving it in external file.
I'm I doing something wrong?
How do you guys usually copy graphs? I went and left clicked from left channel, "light.intensity" and chose "copy". Then pasted it in "flare.intensity" channel. No good..
I'm using 9.3 version.

toby
09-26-2008, 10:29 PM
I only have a problem when I use the Keys drop-down list/Copy selected keys; when I paste them, the keys are in the right place but the interpolation between keys is whacked out. When I right-click in the Channel bin, on the name of the channel, copy then paste to another channel it works fine.

Are you using the UB or CFM version? Chilton will want to know.

yaschan
09-27-2008, 01:47 AM
I've tried the both ways. I'm using UB version as all my machines are Intel macs.
I really want to find solution to this problem, as it is crucial in animation what I'm making.

yaschan
09-27-2008, 04:37 AM
It is strange, now I cant recreate the problem. Must have been just a problem related to a special circumstances. Anyway, now my graphs behave so nicely as if my mother in law would be supervising them!

yaschan
09-27-2008, 05:53 AM
OK. I ran into this problem again.

I have a scene with couple of flashing lights. The light intensity has an envelope curve. This is a curve I want to synchronize with the lens flare. Of course.

Is there another way to do this rather than copy and paste the graph? As Mr.Toby, I get the keys almost in right places, but random interpolation between the keys.
Same even if I save the graph in external file and input again.

Ive tried both, replacing existing graph as well as pasting it into an envelope without graph.

toby
09-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Hm
Well here's a workaround
In the Graph Editor, go to the Expressions tab under the main window. Create a new expression ('New' button), and enter this into the Value field :
Value=[Light.Intensity]
Where it says 'Light' it must match the name of your light, and it is case sensitive.
Then press 'apply' with the flare intensity channel selected.

If you don't want it to have the exact same value as the light, just put some math at the end of the expression, like so :
Value=[Light.Intensity]/2
will give you half the intensity of the light.

This expression will drive any lens flare intensity from that one light, if you want each flare tied to it's own light you'll have to make an expression for each one.

I have an older Mac, it's not Intel, which can explain little differences. I'm betting this is an openGL problem, and Chilton should know about it - or maybe this is fixed in 9.5. If you've registered your lw9.3, you can sign up for the beta and start using 9.5.

toby
09-28-2008, 09:00 PM
Looks like it is fixed in 9.5, just tested the UB.

yaschan
09-29-2008, 06:57 PM
oh, this is good news! Also thanks for explaining about expressions. I will certainly use this function.
Yes, of course I registered my copy of Lightwave. But I will wait for the final release of 9.5 which should be in 15th of October here in Japan. I suspect I can download the Japanese version of the update from DSTORM site. Before that, I have to do my best to learn the basics.

boarslight
10-02-2008, 03:25 PM
You can also add a channel follower to the intensity of the flare under the Modifiers tab in the Graph Editor...just tell it to follow the intensity of the light.

You can copy that modifier and add it to any other channels, on any other items.

It will accomplish the same thing as the expressions (i think!); and you won't have to remember the expression formulas.