PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modelling Challenge#7

Iain
09-25-2008, 03:18 AM
Speed Modelling Challenge#7
Rules:

1: Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential.
How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.

2:Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.

3: LightWave should be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.

**Please mention whether or not you would be happy to share the model.**

4: You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.

5: Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

Subject - On the Farm
Farm machinery, buildings, animals, whatever.

Time limit - 60 minutes
Deadline - 22.00 G.M.T. Wednesday 1st October 2008

JeffrySG
09-25-2008, 06:26 AM
very cool! Thanks for starting this new challenge up, Iain!

Iain
09-25-2008, 06:34 AM
I think this one will be popular as there's so much scope.

Thanks to Colkai for the great topic. :thumbsup:

JeffrySG
09-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Well...

To help get the inspiration going! (http://flickr.com/search/show/with/1601407389/?page=3&q=farm&ss=2&ct=6)

hrgiger
09-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Somehow I see the Lightwave cow playing a role here...

Iain
09-25-2008, 07:29 AM

And just to whom are you referring?

How dare you!

Great resource Jeff:thumbsup: Beautiful photos!

MooseDog
09-25-2008, 08:24 AM

cow? cow? did someone say cow?! :D

a long time ago, someone gave away an lscript called the legoizer. applied to said cow and you get this.

great! subject. thank you.

Iain
09-25-2008, 08:47 AM
cow? cow? did someone say cow?! :D

a long time ago, someone gave away an lscript called the legoizer. applied to said cow and you get this.

great! subject. thank you.

I thought that sounded cool so I searched for it..........
http://www.arngautr.lunarpages.com/semipermanent/legoizer/

Next challenge? :hey:

colkai
09-25-2008, 09:10 AM
hehe, yup, I've got that lying around as well :)

IgnusFast
09-25-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread, but that is just too much fun... Finicky, though!!

That's 2.5 million polys, even with many of the trees from the scene removed. :) Still quick to render, thanks to 9.5...

JeffrySG
09-25-2008, 08:56 PM
lol, that's totally cool guys! :)

IgnusFast: now you have to order all the parts to build that LEGO kit!

Oedo 808
09-25-2008, 09:43 PM
If anything was going to make me feel the loss of my system even more, it is the not being able to bugger around with turning anything and everything into Lego bricks. :thumbsdow

Colkai, congratulations on your win in the earlier challenge.

colkai
09-26-2008, 02:55 AM
Colkai, congratulations on your win in the earlier challenge.

Thanks! :)
Hoping to get onto mine this weekend in between getting my hair cut and getting the car serviced. :)

flakester
09-26-2008, 03:29 AM
Likewise Colkai, congrats on your win - I've just nipped back and had a look at the entry.... Awesome! :thumbsup:

I'll be in Norfolk this weekend, hopefully get some decent inspiration for this challenge - should I be lucky/unlucky* enough to get some free time to knock something together.

flakester.

* delete as appropriate

flakester
09-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Well, whaddaya know...... the client has given me a break so they can review things with their client.

Here is my entry - Nosey Chicken. Inspired both by Boring3D, and Cesar Montero.

About 35 mins for the modeling, with around 1h 15mins for everything render and post-wise.

Enjoy!!

flakester.

art
09-26-2008, 06:35 AM
simple, but very cute :)

Iain
09-26-2008, 07:23 AM
Nice render, flakester!
As art said, simple but cute.

I like the background.

colkai
09-26-2008, 07:28 AM
Neat! :)

flakester
09-26-2008, 07:30 AM
Cheers folks. :D

Just glad I found [was handed!] some time to get something ok done for this one.

flakester.

JeffrySG
09-26-2008, 07:51 AM
Well, whaddaya know...... the client has given me a break so they can review things with their client.

Here is my entry - Nosey Chicken. Inspired both by Boring3D, and Cesar Montero.

About 35 mins for the modeling, with around 1h 15mins for everything render and post-wise.

Enjoy!!

flakester.

Holy Crap! I friggin' love it! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

cute, simple, great render, textures, and composition!

colkai
09-26-2008, 08:29 AM
Makes you wonder about the next possible challenge "Aardman R us" :D ;)

flakester
09-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Makes you wonder about the next possible challenge "Aardman R us" :D ;)

lmao! I have to admit, if it were down to me - I'd go for "anything from the lab". Just for the possible range of shiny vs twisted vs gore.

flakester.

colkai
09-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Well this one took me very close to a 60 minute limit.
Mind you, that wasn't helped by me piddling around trying to understand why LWCAD was doing some very odd things with my rotations and positions and figuring out the roof thingy. (Which BTW, inverts some of the geometry of the ridge tiles).

A simple haybarn thing, got to texture it yet and decide if I'm going to put some mock haybales in or leave it for some clever person (not me then :p ) to use FFX to create a haybale. :)

Naturally, purely for fun this one seeing as I can't "officially" enter this contest. :D

PixelDust
09-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Well, I thought I'd give one of these speed modeling challenges a shot.

This took around 75 minutes. I actually thought I had it finished at 60 minutes, but then I discovered some points I had to unweld and reweld, and then I had to redo the CC edge weights because of that. :(

Texturing took around an hour and 15 minutes, most of that being tweaking FiberFX.

Still, I'm pretty happy with it.

jpleonard
09-29-2008, 06:29 AM
Finally got a chance to participate in another one of these challenges. My quick model of a grain silo, like what we have around here. I spent about 20 minutes on the modeling of the silo, about 5 minutes for a ground plane (not shown in the wire frame), another 10 minutes or so on texturing, and 20 minutes on the render.

I kind of like the scene I think I'm going to add a couple of other items, such as an old broke down tractor, and the ruins of an old barn.

This render was my first attempt using FiberFX. I think it worked okay for the grass. Comments and Crits welcome.

The main structure of the silo is quite high poly, as it was the easiest way for me to quickly model the grid pattern on it's surface without having to use procedural textures.

colkai
09-29-2008, 07:57 AM
Oops - that reminds me ..wires. :p

jburford
09-29-2008, 08:26 AM
gotta find the time and jump in....

but speed modelling? the speed modelling i know from the 3D Fight Club days was all 3-5 minutes norm. ;-)

flakester
09-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Oops - that reminds me ..wires. :p

Dang! Forgot mine too. :foreheads
I'll have to do them later, the pootah is gonna be tied up for a while yet.

BTW Colkai, nice clean barn - good lines and a nice render too.

flakester.

colkai
09-29-2008, 09:06 AM
I see these things every day, there's one near where I live, for about 5 years, it has had one single, solitary corrugated panel on the roof and two on the side, so about 6 foot of the whole barn is covered, the rest is open and rusting. This week, they finally started to put new panels on the front, though the roof is still 95% open! :p

JeffrySG
09-29-2008, 02:55 PM
well, I finished this one in exactly one hour.... If I had more time, I'd put in a little more detail. The ladder is missing and maybe some bolts, and some more pipes at the bottom, etc.

JCG
09-29-2008, 10:44 PM
No way!
For tomorrow, I've got to make a short 4-panel explanation of how to find our DUNS number presented by our department's mascot, which is a flying chicken.

I've been mentalizing myself that I'm just going to scribble the thing with pencil and make photocopies because there's no time for something fancy.

I see the selection of this topic as the universe's way of conspiring to force me into modeling the freaking chicken in 3D.
I just hope that if it's tricking me into it in this nefarious way, at least I'll have enough time (relative thing that it is) to finish.

Well, I guess I'll be back in an hour with as much chicken as I can carry. :chicken:

PS: Yes, I realize that someone has already submitted a chicken but that is clearly NOT a flying chicken. I can see it in her eyes.

JCG
09-30-2008, 12:01 AM
Hmm, just as expected, not a whole lot of chicken at all and now I'm in trouble.
Deep down I suspected it was a trick and time was not really going to slow down for the chicken's sake.
But at least I think I've got the idea of how to make the thing look like a flying chicken which had me really worried.

colkai
09-30-2008, 03:45 AM
well, I finished this one in exactly one hour.... If I had more time, I'd put in a little more detail. The ladder is missing and maybe some bolts, and some more pipes at the bottom, etc.

Need to slap that alongside my barn :p

I'm thinking, as I ain't officially in it anyhoo, I may revisit the barn and make a busted one with corroding struts and missing panels. :)

Iain
09-30-2008, 04:58 AM
I saw a photo of a milk can very similar to this. Glad my milk doesn't come in these.

Modelling time including spilled milk - 40 minutes.

flakester
09-30-2008, 05:35 AM
Awesome milk can/pail/bucket Iain. Nice floor too.

Colkai: I'd like to see that barn busted and rusted too, that'd be way cool.

JCG: lmao! You're right, she's no flying chicken. I saw where yours was going with the flying helmet and all, I like it!

JeffrySG: Very nice windmill thing. Not sure exactly what they're called - but I'm liking that one.

Great entries all round.

flakester.

BlueApple
09-30-2008, 06:20 AM
The bacon maker here was modeled in 50 minutes.

OlaHaldor
09-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Iain - those cans looked awfully gross in their material. :p

However - such cans like that (though in cleaner steel, there are strict health issues about this) are still in use. I live on a farm myself - they use them everyday for different purposes.. either storage for a short period, or for longer periods to create some nice texture to the milk, before prepping for home made cheese.

colkai
09-30-2008, 07:16 AM

Hope you didn't cry over that.......I'll get me coat. :D

cresshead
09-30-2008, 07:16 AM
I saw a photo of a milk can very similar to this. Glad my milk doesn't come in these.

now your just churning those models out!:D

Iain
09-30-2008, 07:20 AM
Hey - two bad milk jokes one after the other! :D

I did nearly cry over the handles. Tried about 5 different ways before it was like the reference picture.
My model could have been done in about 10 minutes if I hadn't done that!

Great work everybody. Keep 'em coming!

Iain
09-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Iain - those cans looked awfully gross in their material. :p

I think I did exaggerate the rust a little. :)

RollerJesus
09-30-2008, 07:44 AM
Hey all, some good models this time around. I missed the last two challenges but I'm hoping to get one in tonight.

Iain, I really like the lighting in your milk render, care to share how you pulled it off? I'm struggling with outdoor lighting these days...

Iain
09-30-2008, 09:32 AM
the lighting in your milk render, care to share how you pulled it off?

It was a Maxwell render but I got similar results in LW using 2 orange area lights (one as sun and one right above facing down) and Sunsky at 160% intensity.

The second area light might be better as a dome light, thinking about it.

Mitja
09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
My try, title: Hard Work.
You sure need a wheelbarrow and a shovel in a farm!
Time 50mins for modeling, much more for texturing (all uv maps).
C&C welcome, but I hope you like it!

64020 64021

OlaHaldor
09-30-2008, 10:42 AM
I think we're very exclusive in the wheelbarrow fashion here in Norway. We got rubber handles on ours. :D

Nice model, the texture seemd a bit blurry though. :)
Dang, I wish I knew how to approach stuff like this and model something awesome.

Mitja
09-30-2008, 11:31 AM
I think we're very exclusive in the wheelbarrow fashion here in Norway. We got rubber handles on ours. :D

We have rubber handles even here, but this wheelbarrow is old, and havily used!
You know how it goes...

TripD
09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Again with the nice stuff! I like the nozy chicken. I have big respect for youz guyz that did the architectual stuff in just an hour!

Alas.... My 3rd try and still just a wee bit over the hour mark..... again. But, I gotter done anyway!

art
09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
TripD, great subject :) Why didn't I think if it.

RollerJesus
09-30-2008, 09:20 PM
A different kind of farm...

50 minutes for the model, texture and render. The model could use a lot more tweaking, as could the texturing, but I'm short on time lately.

art
09-30-2008, 11:04 PM
This is where chickens meet their fate.
Modeled in 45 minutes. Texturing is ultra crappy, but I had no time.

art
09-30-2008, 11:11 PM
ps. Mitja, that wheelbarrow is very nice.

JeffrySG
10-01-2008, 07:12 AM
This is where chickens meet their fate.
Modeled in 45 minutes. Texturing is ultra crappy, but I had no time.

that's too funny....

JeffrySG
10-01-2008, 07:16 AM
Again with the nice stuff! I like the nozy chicken. I have big respect for youz guyz that did the architectual stuff in just an hour!

Alas.... My 3rd try and still just a wee bit over the hour mark..... again. But, I gotter done anyway!

haha great idea, and the model came out nice too!

JeffrySG
10-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Need to slap that alongside my barn :p

I'm thinking, as I ain't officially in it anyhoo, I may revisit the barn and make a busted one with corroding struts and missing panels. :)

Add it to your next render if you want! The barn would look very cool if it was a little banged up too.

I took a little more time and added the ladder and banged up some of the boards and supports.

Mitja
10-01-2008, 07:44 AM
ps. Mitja, that wheelbarrow is very nice.

Thanks, your model's great too!

And in general, compliments to all, great stuff here!

flakester
10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Best get my wires in.....

Sorry for the wrong aspect ratio fellas. And girls¿
Loving the outhouse, the turbines and the axe. Great entries all. :thumbsup:

Right, I'm off to the pub!

flakester.

art
10-01-2008, 10:53 AM
No worries, your chicken is safe :)

iain_r
10-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Thought I'd just pitch in with this.

TripD
10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
LOL! This whole thing is starting to smell like American Gothic. We just need one of you CA types to create us a married couple to stand by the pitchfork and barn!

We will just have to make room for all the other doodads!

Iain
10-02-2008, 04:07 AM
New challenge...............

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=759356#post759356

TripD, I PM'd you but you can ignore it now.

Great work guys.
Colkai will announce the winner in his own time. :thumbsup:

archijam
10-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Thought I'd just pitch in with this.

Thanks for reminding me ... my model from challenge#3 fit here as well! On the ancient chinese farm, naturally ...

http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=741651&postcount=11
http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=741695&postcount=19
http://newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=741720&postcount=20

I really want to find time for the next challenge .. robots rock. :/

BlueApple
10-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Great work everyone.

My favorites from this round are Flakester’s chicken, Mitja’s wheelbarrow, Iain’s milk can and JeffreySG’s piece.

Looking forward to the robot-fest :)

colkai
10-07-2008, 02:42 AM
Ok folks,
Apologies for being "late" with this as I was away at the weekend.

After much deliberation, I have decided to award the windmill by JeffrySG as the winner, though it was a tough choice in the end as there was some very nice and clean modelling in this challenge! I just felt the whole model worked really well, so congrats to Jeff.
Special mention for the cartoon chicken though, that was a nice take on the subject. :)

Iain
10-07-2008, 03:00 AM
Congratulations Jeff.
That was an impressive model for an hour's work.

Get your thinking cap on for next challenge! :thumbsup:

flakester
10-07-2008, 03:00 AM
!!w00t!!

Appreciate the special mention. :thumbsup: Cheers.

Have to agree with the choice of winner though, good clean model.
Congrats JeffrySG, well worked and well deserved. :beerchug::rock:

flakester.

colkai
10-07-2008, 04:29 AM
You're welcome - s'good fun is this. :)

JeffrySG
10-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks colkai! :thumbsup:

That's very cool... I also think there were a bunch of great entries!! Great work everyone!

OK, so now I have to think of the subject for #9??? hmmm... :stumped:

colkai
10-07-2008, 08:14 AM
Hehe, yup, now the fun really begins. ;)

JeffrySG
10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
OK, I think I have the next topic.... :)

I'll PM Iain to let him know...

JCG
10-08-2008, 02:29 AM
OK, now that the contest is officially over, we can post how the chicken ended up after the time limit?

At work everyone hated it, mostly because it was not what they had in mind when they thought of a flying chicken, but I loved doing my first test with FiberFX and finding out that three adjustments in two minutes had it looking almost as I pictured it.

colkai
10-08-2008, 03:45 AM
Hehe, love it :)

JeffrySG
10-08-2008, 07:29 AM
Yeah, that came out great! :D

BlueApple
10-08-2008, 09:04 AM
JCG- The chicken looks great, especially the scarf. And get a load of the beak-testicles on that bird!

flakester
10-08-2008, 09:13 AM
~ And get a load of the beak-testicles on that bird!

Eeeeeeewwwwww!! :p
Actually, the image came out ace, absolutely agree about the scarf - brill. :thumbsup:
Great job.

flakester.