PDA

View Full Version : Jettobevel and Jettolocal reloaded

jagoca
09-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Hi all.

Not sure if some of you remember those LScript which used to be quite popular in the past. I have been getting news of them not working on LW9, but unfortunately I have been busy with other things last years. My apologies for that...

Those days I took a look to the tools and not sure why they are failing. Perhaps some issue in the undo feature...

As a hobbist, I just moved to other things years ago, so I don't have the patience/time to try to fix that. I must say that LScript is pretty weak, and having things not working in new releases is pretty annoying (excuse my sincerity)

If do you thing that those tools are still useful, I won't have any problem in trying to share the code to have someone helping. Also, the site from where they were downloaded was down, so getting some hosting in order to share them again would be great for the community. (I can try a blog of something similar in order to share in any case...)

So, please, if there's someone ready to read along some thousands of LScript code, please, contact me, I will try to help as much as possible. Perhaps sharing this post in other LW related forums would be nice. Feel free to do it!!!

My apologies for this long silence, my poor english and (as I use to do) this long post. Bye to all and happy LW.

hrgiger
09-25-2008, 03:15 AM
Yes, I really enjoyed Jettobevel especially, I always had plenty of use for it. Fortunately, I have LWCAD now to fill the gap.

If you're willing to give up the code, why not just send it to Newtek and maybe they can incorporate them somehow. Of course, I don't believe they need to add yet another bevel tool, but hopefully they'll combine tools one of these days.

dballesg
09-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi,

Are you still living in Valencia? I am ;)

We emailed long ago. I have a bit of experience with LScript. And I can try to help you with those scripts as much as I can, not that I have a lot of free time, but I will be glad to help with them.

David

JohnMarchant
09-25-2008, 03:36 AM
Hi jogoca, I used them quite a bit in the past but have no LScript experience but i would love to see these updated. Thanks for releasing the code

Dodgy
09-25-2008, 03:42 AM
Hiya, Mike here, Lscript GOD... Well a monk perhaps. Okay, maybe street sweeper....

Do you want to send them my way and I'll see if I can't fix them and host them on my web page with my other scripts.

Taran-Q
09-25-2008, 04:07 AM
Jettobevel and Jettofillet were one of my favorite tools as well, would be awesome to see them in action again...

art
09-25-2008, 07:22 AM
I would not mind looking either (I'm aspiring street sweeper), but Mike is probably a better person to help you with this. :)

jagoca
09-25-2008, 10:53 AM
I'm glad to see these apps can still be useful. Jettobevel is a pretty complicated LScript with more than 2K lines full of math stuff, so navigating trough it can be a little cumbersome... :P

Perhaps Newtek guys can give some clue of changes in the last version of Lscript which could cause abnormal functioning of these apps, so I can get some info in order to start the research.

If all else fails, I will try to translate comments to english and try to explain things the best possible in order to try to get help from someone else.

I will try to post any advances as soon as I get them ok?

Thanks for your support guys!

Chuck
09-25-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm glad to see these apps can still be useful. Jettobevel is a pretty complicated LScript with more than 2K lines full of math stuff, so navigating trough it can be a little cumbersome... :P

Perhaps Newtek guys can give some clue of changes in the last version of Lscript which could cause abnormal functioning of these apps, so I can get some info in order to start the research.

If all else fails, I will try to translate comments to english and try to explain things the best possible in order to try to get help from someone else.

I will try to post any advances as soon as I get them ok?

Thanks for your support guys!

If you own v9, best bet would be to sign up for Open Beta if you have not done so and start by reviewing the Announcements section listing the SDK and LScript changes. There is also a developers and scripters section in Open Beta where you can discuss the current changes.

hrgiger
09-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Honestly, I'd love to see the code and try and piece together how some of the math works.

Svenart
09-25-2008, 12:18 PM
me too:)

GraphXs
09-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Great to hear that we might get to use those wonderful plugins, I used them alot!

DuneBoy
09-25-2008, 08:55 PM
I recently just finished work on a few LScripts (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Search.aspx?At=Ken+Nign) designed to work in 7.5 (when possible) all the way up to 9.5 (working around LScript's lack of edge support). So I should be able to bring the scripts up to date for 9.x.

I also run the LightWave Plugin Database, so hosting wouldn't be a problem.

jagoca
10-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Hi guys. Good news...

I finally managed to have jettobevel working on LW 9.5. For those who don't know it, it's a nice bevel tool for lightwave, so stop reading and try it!

It has been harder work than expected, specially due to not documented changes in undo workflow for LScript and some other strange math issue. Add to this ten hour a day working designing industrial equipment and get no explanation of how did I manage to get this!

With all, I hope this works properly...

Four things to note, however:

-FIRST: no suppor por Catmull Clark. You can bevel them, but new geometry won't be converted to CC as happens with subpatches. I couldn't get any info about CC management under LScript, if anyone can provide it, this could be fixed.

-SECOND: have this release as a semi-beta. Althought I have invested a lot of time, I haven't tested it in deep, and it's here where I need your help, my beloved beta-testers :D.

PLEASE, try to check the app in every aspect and report any error/bug the better documented way possible. I have a couple of days off-work, ideal for trying to fix any issue.

-THIRD: I need some feedback from you: what converts Jettobevel in a pretty fragile tool for new LW versions is the undo-boucle used to do the fake-interactive approach mixed with undo LScript workflow changing in each new version (with no documentation about it). Removing this feature would get a more robust an durable tool, although you will lost perhaps the greatest functionality of it. What do you think about this guys?

-FOUR: spread this on other LW forums PLEASE, so I can get the most information possible. I could do it myself, but going to sleep is a more reasonable option. I can't spend more time spreading all this abroad so I encourage all of you to help me with that.

In any case good bye and happy beveling!

GraphXs
10-09-2008, 10:06 PM
Great! Thankyou so very much for fixing such a wonderful tool!:thumbsup:

Auger
10-10-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks Jagoca! You rock. :jam:

Tobian
10-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Quite cool, I might find a use for this! :)

JohnMarchant
10-11-2008, 05:44 AM
Yeah plugin would be nice as long as it comes in 64bit as well. Glad to see them back in any form mind you

UnCommonGrafx
10-11-2008, 05:10 PM
It's an lscript; doesn't it just work on those other platforms?

Thanks for reviving this, Jagoca!

Yeah plugin would be nice as long as it comes in 64bit as well. Glad to see them back in any form mind you

cagey5
10-11-2008, 05:51 PM
It's an lscript; doesn't it just work on those other platforms?

Thanks for reviving this, Jagoca!

As an lscript it does, yes. but the but the query was a .p would be nice .... so long as it comes in 64 bit. Seems pretty straightforward from here..

JohnMarchant
10-11-2008, 07:18 PM
God knows how easy it is to turn an lsc into a plugin. Dont know much about scripting and making plugins, just thought it would be faster as a plugin.

mattlester
10-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Thanks very much Jagoca.
Very much appreciated.

We have a huge library of JettoBevel presets that we have accumulated over the years and they are used daily in all our work. We run LW9.5 64, but have been keeping a copy of 8.3 32 around just so we can use Jetto. We do use a few of the other bevel options out there, but nothing is as simple and and intuitive as your great plugin.

Only just installed on 4x of our 64 bit workstations, but so far it seems to be working perfectly. It will get a real hammering on our systems in a short period of time so I'll post any problems if they appear.

Good work.

JamesCurtis
10-12-2008, 09:53 PM
hey mattlester,

Any chance that those presets you spoke of could be made available to us fellow LWers - if they could prove useful?

jagoca
10-14-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi. I'm glad to see that the tool is working smoothly. The surprising thing for me is that, after mor ethan four years, it can still be usefull...

About converting an LScript into a .p plugin, there's no way of doing so, unfortunately.

An LScript is written in LScript language, which is a "high level language" easy to play with but slow, really slow...

A .p plugin must be written through a C interface, being C a faster yet more complex language. However, the difference is not only the language itself, being the workflow pretty different between them.

Building a Jettobevel.p is not a matter of "translating", we should talk about writting all again under a different environment. I must add that the algorithms (the hard stuff here...) would be the same, so it's not a pretty hard task but simply a time consuming one.

The benefits? Huge speed increase, real interactivity with non modal fakes, perhaps beveling by dragging and as far as the imagination could get.

Unfortunately, no plans of doing so in a short term, due to my busy schedule...

Thanks for your support guys.

dballesg
10-14-2008, 11:52 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the plugins. The work great.

LScript is based on the Lightwave sdk, and if you have a look to the C SDK there is a lot of similarities.

Someone with a good grasp of C could convert the LScript without to much difficulty.

Problem it is more difficult to mantain, and you will need to compile it for each plataform, PC 32 bits and 64 bits, and MAC UB.

David

jagoca
10-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Fortunately, I have knowledge enough of C (jettolocal, another tool, was written in C, and my degree's final project was a nice app written in C++, miles away from jettobevel...)

As always, getting some free time is the issue here :P

dballesg
10-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Hi,

I am still thinking your LScrips are VERY useful as they are. I know they would work slowly than a pure .p plugin, and maybe not able to process high density meshes.

But you avoid the compiling on Mac as I said, and instead Mac users can use them :)

Maybe you can think on convert them on a .p plugin on a holiday time or something like that ;)

David

dballesg
10-15-2008, 03:35 AM
BTW that jettolocal would be an awesome tool to be updated for lw9.5 too ;)

I can no longer find all of your plugins online, would you consider placing them on here at all?
Hi,

JettoBevel it is posted on this same thread, post #14 ;)

David

mattlester
10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
hey mattlester,

Any chance that those presets you spoke of could be made available to us fellow LWers - if they could prove useful?

Hi James,
Sorry for the delay replying. Real busy at the moment so haven't checked the forum in a few days.

Our presets are nothing amazing, just time savers for us. For example we use jetto bevel for all sorts of unusual things, like when we produce our gutter and fascias for a house model JB is used to offset the distance back that we need from the edge of the roof to the rear face of the fascia. So it is essentially just a straight inset/shift bevel but we store the preset so we can quickly pull up the required dimensions for any selected fascia/gutter combo. We also use it a lot on garden edging, door trims, ect...

So no instant preset to bevel a house up from a quad sorry ;)

Cheers,

Oedo 808
10-15-2008, 09:07 PM
I can't read your name without thinking "Mattlester Galactica!" ;D

And yes, I am bored.

jagoca
10-16-2008, 05:51 AM
As far as I know jettolocal works fine in 9.5, no need to update.

Any idea guys of where could I reload my web, in order to make the tools and my tutorial widely available again? As you can imagine, no plans of having to pay for that...!

Lightwolf
10-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Any idea guys of where could I reload my web, in order to make the tools and my tutorial widely available again? As you can imagine, no plans of having to pay for that...!
How about uploading it to www.lightwiki.com? You might need to check with Ben Vost first though.

Cheers,
Mike

dballesg
10-16-2008, 06:46 AM
Hi,

Mike's idea is excelent.

I think you can host your plugins as well in the LightWave Plugin Database (http://www.lwplugindb.com/) and maybe Flay (http://www.flay.com/). But I think you will need to contact Christopher to host them on Flay.

David

starbase1
10-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Jagoca, I can very probably provide the hosting, unless you have some weird requirements (The web space I use is provided by a friend).

Nick

jagoca
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
The original site requires less than 50 MB, so I think it could be allocated elsewhere. Any offers are welcome of web hosting!!! pm or mail me if your prefer....

mattlester
10-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I can't read your name without thinking "Mattlester Galactica!" ;D

And yes, I am bored.

That made me laugh. Love those original Vipers!

neuromancer
12-02-2008, 08:10 AM
jagoca, muchas gracias por la actualización. :)