PDA

View Full Version : Sending my Demo to NASA

virtualcomposer
09-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Anyone have any advice on the best way to send a demo and resume to NASA and actually get their attention? The last thing I want to do is send them stuff and have it thrown away or get into the wrong hands and forgotten about or never watched. I know they hire animators to create scenes for their programs so I was just wondering the best way to approach it. Should I call first or send them a picture of me greenscreened in space? LOL Any advice would be very helpful.

shrox
09-24-2008, 12:14 PM
Anyone have any advice on the best way to send a demo and resume to NASA and actually get their attention? The last thing I want to do is send them stuff and have it thrown away or get into the wrong hands and forgotten about or never watched. I know they hire animators to create scenes for their programs so I was just wondering the best way to approach it. Should I call first or send them a picture of me greenscreened in space? LOL Any advice would be very helpful.

Hey, that's my job!

http://www.vimeo.com/1480490

Titus
09-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Maybe Dan Maas can give you some pointers:

http://www.maasdigital.com/

trentonia
09-25-2008, 08:27 AM
Shrox,
I work at MSFC in Huntsville, Al. Most of the NASA centers have animators, but we all work for contractors or sub-contractors, not directly for NASA. So, you wouldn't contact NASA directly, but you would have to find out who the contractor is and contact them. The different centers also use different platforms. For instance, we use LW in our department, but there is another group here that uses 3D studio MAX. At Johnson there is a group using LW and another that uses Maya. A part of NASA animations are sent "out of house" and are done by places like MaasDigital or John Frassanito & Associates in Houston. MaasDigital does a lot of animations for JPL because they don't have their own department or contractor. http://www.maasdigital.com/ Frassanito does quite a few anims for Johnson Space Center to supplement JSC's capabilities. http://www.frassanito.com/ I would contact those two first and send them your reel. The nice thing is that both of those shops use LW. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here. Good luck.

virtualcomposer
09-25-2008, 08:30 AM
Shrox,
I work at MSFC in Huntsville, Al. Most of the NASA centers have animators, but we all work for contractors or sub-contractors, not directly for NASA. So, you wouldn't contact NASA directly, but you would have to find out who the contractor is and contact them. The different centers also use different platforms. For instance, we use LW in our department, but there is another group here that uses 3D studio MAX. At Johnson there is a group using LW and another that uses Maya. A part of NASA animations are sent "out of house" and are done by places like MaasDigital or John Frassanito & Associates in Houston. MaasDigital does a lot of animations for JPL because they don't have their own department or contractor. http://www.maasdigital.com/ Frassanito does quite a few anims for Johnson Space Center to supplement JSC's capabilities. http://www.frassanito.com/ I would contact those two first and send them your reel. The nice thing is that both of those shops use LW. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here. Good luck.

Hey thanks trentonia. It's always good to get a more precise way of going about things. Thanks for the websites as well. :thumbsup:

Lightwolf
09-25-2008, 08:59 AM
MaasDigital does a lot of animations for JPL because they don't have their own department or contractor...
Actually they do.

Cheers,
Mike

T-Light
09-25-2008, 09:04 AM
Mike

Actually they do.
Yeah, but they spend all their time airbrushing out UFO's from the shuttle's footage :D

Lightwolf
09-25-2008, 09:08 AM
Mike

Yeah, but they spend all their time airbrushing out UFO's from the shuttle's footage :D
Lol.... well, actually they spend all of their time using infiniMap :D

Cheers,
Mike

virtualcomposer
09-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Mike

LOL!

shrox
09-25-2008, 11:33 AM
"Sorry, there are currently no open positions."

shrox
09-25-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't think Frassantino is all that good. I can always see mapped surface pixels, texture stretching. Even the rocket on their home page is not that good!!

safetyman
09-25-2008, 11:52 AM
I used to work a contract for NASA down at Stennis Space Center in Mississippi (where they test the shuttle main engines). Most of the stuff I did was for print rather than fancy animations and it was in their Earth Science dept.. We had an in-house group that did the visualizations and they used Lightwave, which is how I got introduced to it! I work for the same company now, but in a completely different area and it has nothing to do with NASA. Just my two cents.

Intuition
09-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Lol.... well, actually they spend all of their time using infiniMap :D

Cheers,
Mike

Yep, Mike Stetson and Koji work over at JPL/Nasa and use Infinimap.

Now all I have to do is start using it here at BSG so that I can get them to buy a copy. ;)

shrox
09-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Looks part of my post disappeared.

I got involved with NASA through my job at Maxis. We were making SimMars (cancelled) and someone asked NASA about getting information. We were invited to Ames and met several scientists and experts. That was 11 years ago! Anyway. I just kept in touch with Dr. McKay, and now I have some renders in schoolbooks about Mars, as well as doing amins for NASA. I do mostly stuff that would be used in a presentation, and will probably never be seen by the public. That is what the Lunar Garden was for.

T-Light
09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Ok then this is slightly OT, but it's still NASA and JPL related.

Friend sent me some JPL photo's today of Mars.

Can anyone explain this crater? I'm tempted to get out the demo of realflow to try and recreate it, but to be honest, I wouldn't know where to begin.

It looks like someone's dropped a giant eye dropper, then er, removed it. Or, there's been a large rolling bouncing object decaying in size by the second crater and what's left rolling out the bottom, but if that's the case, where is it, where's the debris? If it was a rolling object, how did it create so much dust to refill each crater when it seems to have been rolling relatively slowly when bridging the gap between the two craters?

Here's the original link
http://themis.asu.edu/zoom-20080911a

[Final thought] Could it be the remnant of an enormous mis-shapen comet? the ice melted leaving no trace?

Edit - this image is 19.5 x 68.8 km

Edit 2 - Intuition, doesn't this look suspiciously like Galactica? Could you tell us where she was parked on the 11th of this month?

http://themis.asu.edu/medimages/20080911a-med.jpg

shrox
09-25-2008, 06:18 PM
I believe that Mars was scraped by another body. A sine wave matches perfectly with the curve of Valles Marineris, as well as the other canyons that parallel it. Just look at it and it is obvious. Something rolled and scrapped across that area of Mars. Also all the rocks scattered about the surface, they don't really match the terrain they sit in.

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/mer/funzone/marsrover4/images/valles_marineris_hires.jpg

T-Light
09-25-2008, 06:46 PM
Okay, I see where your coming from (thanks, first time I've seen that image :)).

But how does it relate to the craters above? Even NASA descibes them as 'odd craters'. There just sat out there on their own, they look like a single (relatively) small event.

toby
09-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Yep, Mike Stetson and Koji work over at JPL/Nasa and use Infinimap.

Now all I have to do is start using it here at BSG so that I can get them to buy a copy. ;)
If I worked at a studio using LW for hd content, I'd throw fits until they got Infinimap. How can you stand having to skimp on textures? Or is lw64 much better?

T-Light
09-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Completely abstract thought. How about something exploding from below? Is that a possibility?

Friend who posted the original images was over tonight, We've honestly no idea, although we both agree whatever happened, happened recently, there's very little erosion on those crater walls.

JMCarrigan
09-26-2008, 06:54 PM
Completely abstract thought. How about something exploding from below? Is that a possibility?

Friend who posted the original images was over tonight, We've honestly no idea, although we both agree whatever happened, happened recently, there's very little erosion on those crater walls.

Or carved/eroded on the edges?

virtualcomposer
09-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Could this be something that naturally happened or does it look more synthetic made? It does look odd and unnatural. No meteor that I've ever studied could leave such a mark. It is usually the other way around. The middle is deepest and bevel out to the edge. Is there a HD version to this picture so that it can be analyzed in Photoshop?

JMCarrigan
09-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Could this be something that naturally happened or does it look more synthetic made? It does look odd and unnatural. No meteor that I've ever studied could leave such a mark. It is usually the other way around. The middle is deepest and bevel out to the edge. Is there a HD version to this picture so that it can be analyzed in Photoshop?

If you go that site mentioned above and download the tiff, maybe. I did and one can zoom in rather close.

shrox
09-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Not likely, but the only thing I can think of is a ball of ice bounced and rolled, then evaporated. That would explain the shape, but not how a big round ball of ice even came about.

Or something hit, then rolled a bit, then perhaps sank, the area looks like it was once muddy.

toby
09-26-2008, 09:55 PM

Nah, the light is going the other direction. Just look at the the other more common craters.

The odd crater looks to me like 2 bounces of a meteor, a long time ago; there's smaller craters inside of it.

On the subject of Mars and Nasa, I just rented Roving Mars on blu-ray... Rip-Off. Even the cg is up-res'ed from tv-res to HD. Disney should be lynched for that. The cg is good stuff ( yes, lw ), but rent it on DVD or you'll just be aggravated.

T-Light
09-26-2008, 10:01 PM
Shrox

Or something hit, then rolled a bit, then perhaps sank, the area looks like it was once muddy.
The image is 19km across, that's EXTREME muddy :D Suppose you could look at it in the way earthquakes work (vibrating ground) but it still wouldn't leave a sharp crater, I'm still mystified on this.

Virtualcomposer

Is there a HD version to this picture so that it can be analyzed in Photoshop?
No idea old man, follow the link above to find the JPL source, best advice I can give :)

4dartist
09-28-2008, 05:44 PM
This is a little more back on topic. I work for John Frassanito & Associates here in Houston, TX. We do animation and a few other things to support JSC and a few other NASA centers. We do use Lightwave for almost all the animation. I wish our website was something that was constantly updated, but it's pretty neglected. I'm not sure if it's even been touched in the last couple years.

I also worked for Dan Maas on the imax Roving Mars and he is a great guy to work for. I learned so much from him. I'd send a demo to him just in case he is needing help.

If you would like to know more about JF&A, I'd be happy to answer any questions. Just send me a private msg.

-Ben

shrox
09-28-2008, 07:10 PM

That second picture has the arrow indicating light in the wrong direction, the arrow should be rotated 90 degrees counter clockwise, and the high and low labels are reversed.