PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9.5 & Vue xStream

Dirk
09-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Can somebody give a hint on how well (or not) LW 9.5 and Vue 6 xStream play together? Especially, how does the vue lighting (GI, Radiosity) work in Lightwave? For example, does a LW Object create a contact shadow on a Vue landscape?

ben martin
09-24-2008, 09:28 AM
Works great!

All that is cross-talked between Lw and xStream; (Shadows, Reflections, Light, Cameras)

The trick is to use Lightwave to render all, (Vue Scene and the LW integrated objects).
You'll get a final render fully composed... basically the xStream technology avoids the "manual" work of composing several imagery sources into a specific application (e.g. Fusion) to achieve a good composite work.

You even have a representation of the Vue scene (landscape and instances) into LW Layout so you can use that vue scene as a reference to animate your LW objects.

3dworks
09-24-2008, 09:29 AM
btw. be sure to use open beta 9.5.1, because when using xstream with 9.5 you'll get some nice crashes.

markus

Dirk
09-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Thx!

@Ben:

Does that mean I have to re-create the lighting in Lightwave?

dballesg
09-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Thx!

@Ben:

Does that mean I have to re-create the lighting in Lightwave?

Hi Dirk,

Not really, you can for example illuminate your scene with the Sun_light that xStream creates. That light will illuminate LW objects, and xStream elements (terrains, trees, plants, planes of water, etc..). In fact you will see that light as a Distant Light on your LW Scene. Be aware of not edit the color of this light in LW. Open the vue scene in xStream and change the sun color there. xStream uses a combination of several colors (sky, haze, sun color, etc) to calculate the correct color of this light.

A light added on LW will illuminate as well the xStream elements.

Due that xStream is a volumetric plugin, I highly suggest that you change the render settings on the Vue part to User setiings, and experiment with the advanced settings so you can control better the render times.

David

beverins
09-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Yeah, Vue 6.6 doesn't like LW 9.5 at all. Either use the 9.5.1 beta or 9.3.1

Dirk
09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
What I don't get is how Vue'S GI / Lights are rendered in Lightwave. I know there seem to be some issues when trying that with Vue and Maya.

As far as I understood, when using vue in Maya, all Vue objects are rendered by Vue... but it is possible to render everything with the LW renderer when using Vue in LW?

And what about rendertimes? Are they reasonable?

ben martin
09-25-2008, 11:34 AM
What I don't get is how Vue'S GI / Lights are rendered in Lightwave. I know there seem to be some issues when trying that with Vue and Maya.

As far as I understood, when using vue in Maya, all Vue objects are rendered by Vue... but it is possible to render everything with the LW renderer when using Vue in LW?

And what about rendertimes? Are they reasonable?
It's all done by a cross talk between LW/Vue render engines.
Simplifying:
Lw renders LW elements and vue render engine takes care of vue elements.
The Vue render is integrated into LW render in real time, never the less all LW elements are considered by Vue Render and also the opposite (Lw looks to vue elements to project shadows and reflections on LW elements).

Render times... it's like... huh... be a wizard configuring Vue render parameters and LW, else you can end waiting a lifetime for a frame to be rendered :) this is true to any 3D package by the way!

The Dommo
09-25-2008, 12:23 PM
tis magic, that's what it is.

digitalH2O
09-27-2008, 04:32 PM
I'd be interested in seeing some examples of rendered scenes using LW and Vue xStream. As much as I've heard about it, I don't think I've ever seen any user-generated images.

Dirk
09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQtFYTRaaiI

ben martin
09-28-2008, 06:23 AM
I'd be interested in seeing some examples of rendered scenes using LW and Vue xStream. As much as I've heard about it, I don't think I've ever seen any user-generated images.

Check this links and see where xStream and Vue were used latelly.
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/

This one is specifically LW and xStream:
http://www.e-onsoftware.com/showcase/spotlights/?page=6

ben martin
09-28-2008, 06:38 AM
Oh... and this large image is one of my first tests, the object is LW and the landscape is xStream... enjoy

proprioception
11-22-2008, 11:23 AM
Am I missing somethign. Vue 6.6 Xstream and LW 9.5 and LW 9.5.1 do not seem to work at all together. Everytime I render in LW Layout, the application crashes. Is anyone else having these issues and if so, is there a workaround. I am working with the 32 bit version of these applications. This is really disappointing as you would expect the two applications to work together if that is what Xstream is all about.

ben martin
11-22-2008, 05:10 PM
Am I missing somethign. Vue 6.6 Xstream and LW 9.5 and LW 9.5.1 do not seem to work at all together. Everytime I render in LW Layout, the application crashes.
I noticed some problems too... if Vue xStream interface is invoked to change the scene and if, after changes, the scene is saved using Vue xStream "Save" command, after that Lightwave refuses to work. it's not a direct CTD (crash to desktop) but it simply stops working.

ben martin
11-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Well, you are absolutely right!
I was not using the last beta, I just updated and bhammm... Lightwave crashes after hit render.

proprioception
11-23-2008, 07:44 AM
I have now tested this a little more and found that I have issues with both 9.5.1 and LW 9.5 and Vue 6.6. I can initially render a scene with a Vue object and also insert simple objects such as a donut primitive. As soon as I resize the object (i.e., donut), however, hitting render crashes the system. I would be interested in any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this and if this is a Vue issue for e-on support or a Lightwave issue.

I am assuming Vue and e-on. I have also updated my graphics driver and this did not remedy the situation. By the way, LW 9.3 seems stable.

This all seems really crazy to me. I seem to spend more time attempting to address version issues than actually working on my projects.

System
Vostro 410; XP, SP2
Intel Quad @2.83
4GB RAM with (3.25 usable by XP - PAE)

proprioception
11-26-2008, 05:03 AM
The following e-mail is from e-on Software support. It would be good for them to be more specific on the timeline, but at least they are acknowledging the issues.

Posted by: e-on Software Support
On: 2008 /11/25 07:12:56

Hi proprioception,

We are preparing an update that should address many of the current Lightwave problems. This will be available shortly.

Best regards.
e-on Software Support

ben martin
11-26-2008, 11:55 AM
The following e-mail is from e-on Software support. It would be good for them to be more specific on the timeline, but at least they are acknowledging the issues.
Well, better than nothing... I suppose! :)

The Dommo
11-27-2008, 04:52 AM
I hope that's for Vue 6.x and not Vue 7...

proprioception
11-27-2008, 08:26 PM
You are correct that the e-mail response was for Vue 6.6. However, I have delayed an upgrade to 7.0 over the concern for whether or not it will actually work.

Borg403
12-07-2008, 03:24 PM
I can render a vue scene in LW but once I put an object in LW it crashes.
Any news on a fix?

beverins
12-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Seems the only fix is Vue 7...

E-on has "no plans" to update Vue 6 for LW 9.5

tomtm
12-09-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi,

I also have Vue XStream 7 and LW 9.5 and the Application runs stable, so no crash, but there are some strange bugs and very hi rendertimes.

If you take the default Mountain Scene called "Peaking Through",
I get 3 times higher render times in LW than in Vue.
The reason is, that LW Volumetric Anialising is so slow, Vue has a much more fast AA, so in 1/3 of time the better AA than LW.
I would expect, that VUE delivers a useful AA to LW ..... or LW schould
faster make Volumetric AA.
The Spectral Clouds takes years to render in LW, so not usable for an animation.

+ integration with LW is really cool
- very, very long rendertimes and still some strange bugs, always have a
additional Distant Light in the Scene.....

Greets Tom

tomtm
12-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Here for comarisson from abov's post:
Greets Tom

proprioception
12-12-2008, 10:05 PM
As it turns out, the update I referred to above for 6.6 was mistakenly referenced by the support technician at eon so the only fix for LW 9.5.x compatibility with Vue xStream IS upgrading to Vue 7. This seems to be rather hefty price tag to get these two applications to work together especially at mid-point releases (e.g., LW 9.3 to 9.5).

This also all becomes a bit of bait and switch game where it seems like we are all getting sucked in to constantly spend more money with one or the other or both companies. In other words, when Vue xStream 7.5 comes out will that no longer be compatible with LW 9.5 and we will need to upgrade to LW 10 at additional costs?. It seems to me that eon and Newtek should have a better strategy for this and be able to provide all of us a roadmap for what to expect for future version investment costs. For the hobbyist such as myself it becomes nearly untenable. I hope that this is not as much of an issue for the professionals out there. Perhaps, as with other software companies (I work for a big one for my day job), they should start charging maintenance and support on a yearly basis in additional to the original license fee. That way we have a consistent amount to save for on a yearly basis to provide for upgrades and potentially better support.

kopperdrake
12-13-2008, 06:44 AM
That really sucks. I had no plans on upgrading my Vue 6 xStream as I really only use it these days to generate sky domes for LightWave, but if I need to upgrade it to 7 to use LW 9.5 - what a decision! Keep away from the goodies in LW9.5 or fork out more money for a piece of software I really use a lot for only one purpose and which I have no faith in after struggling with this version. But if I don't upgrade to Vue 7 and Vue 8 turns out brilliant then I have to buy in from scratch again.

Are there any decent alternatives to xStream for LightWave?

Andyjaggy
12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Yeah that is pretty lame about the upgrading. E-on really needs to take better care of their customers.

However I am a loyal fan. I put this scene together last night in about 20-30 minutes. Took 4 minutes a frame to render. Sure there is still some flickering but I just need to up the AA some more. I dare anyone to create something equal with LW and HD Instance in 20 minutes.

http://www.andysportfolio.com/external-images/reel/vuetest.mov

Of coarse this was rendered in standalone Vue. But freak. I can spend some time composting LW and Vue elements for vegetation this quick and good looking.

I'm starting to feel like the Vue evengalist on these forums. :) LOL!

Sekhar
12-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Use 64 bit and you'll be fine. Below is a render with 64 bit 9.5.1 1520 beta build with 64 bit Vue xStream 6.6 build 272700. Our nice LW cow in the cold Vue wilderness - if you get the metaphor.

Note that it has to be build 292700 - the latest 292711 crashes Layout, as does a 32 bit setup. 64 bit and 292700 is the only combination that seems to work with 9.5.

ben martin
12-13-2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah that is pretty lame about the upgrading. E-on really needs to take better care of their customers.
I'm starting to feel like the Vue evengalist on these forums. :) LOL!

Yeah, I agree with you, nevertheless... actually Vue imports Lightwave objects (even complex Layered ones) that can be animated inside Vue. So if everything else fails my solution is to import Lightwave objects inside Vue Landscapes and use Vue to render the full scene.

Anyway, I guess things are going to get worst and worst with time (regarding E-on and Newtek) because when small business/developers, grow beyond a certain point, they tend to forget about loyal costumers and the initial client respect fades in what this is all about... GET more MONEY! :thumbsdow

kopperdrake
12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Andy - was kind of lighting was that using? I'm curious to have a bash at doing that with LW9.5 and HDI2 if I get time before the break.

Also, what version of Vue was that? I recently tried to use LW with xStream 6 for a simple shot which I turned to LW and HDI for in the end on account of the render times. Might be down to my inadequacy though.

Andyjaggy
12-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Andy - was kind of lighting was that using? I'm curious to have a bash at doing that with LW9.5 and HDI2 if I get time before the break.

Also, what version of Vue was that? I recently tried to use LW with xStream 6 for a simple shot which I turned to LW and HDI for in the end on account of the render times. Might be down to my inadequacy though.

It was GI lighting. Standalone Vue 6. I never use Xstream anymore these days. When I need lots of vegetation I just bring all my LW objects into Vue and render them. I miss the awesome texturing and rendering power of LW, but if you need lots of vegetation I still feel it's really the best solution. I just feel like you should use the best program for the needs of the project, and that restricting yourself to doing everything inside lightwave can be limiting and frustrating.

Borg403
12-15-2008, 04:17 PM
In vue are there any problems with LW subpatch objects?

Andyjaggy
12-15-2008, 04:28 PM
You'll need to freeze everything before importing it into Vue. But otherwise it loads the objects fine, it will even bring in UV's and image maps if you have set them up correctly. The only issue I have with it is the Vue OGL is absolutely terrible, but has supposedly been vastly improved with version 7, probably the main reason I want to upgrade.

Andyjaggy
12-15-2008, 04:32 PM
The Vue surface editor can take a while to get used to as well, but it's actually pretty powerful once you get the hang of it. As far as I am concerned though nothing can match lightwave for surfacing and texturing.

Andyjaggy
12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Started rendering a fullrez version, added a bunch more vegetation, I think the poly count is now at 1.7 billion. Ah I love Vue. :) About 20-30 minutes a frame, the start is around 30 and then it slowly goes does from there.

Link: http://www.andysportfolio.com/external-images/reel/highrez_vuetest.mov

flux71
01-27-2009, 09:24 AM
have both 32b and 64b vue 7 xstream installed (latest build)

have LW 9.5 32b and 64bit installed.

can see the vue xstream and sync plugins in LW menu, but evoking them
says LW can't find Vue application. Vue is installed in default locations on C drive. Runing Vista Business 64 bit.

Vue xStream runs great on it's own, but purchased for integration.

tried to reinstall vue xstream. no help there.

anyone got any ideas why i can't get them to work together??

3dworks
01-27-2009, 09:37 AM

says LW can't find Vue application. Vue is installed in default locations on C drive. Runing Vista Business 64 bit.

isn't version 7 supposed to work only with LW 9.6?

flux71
01-27-2009, 10:04 AM
not sure, have read conflicting postings. anyone know? thought Vue 7 xstream was geared for LW 9.5 and above??

dballesg
01-27-2009, 10:46 AM
isn't version 7 supposed to work only with LW 9.6?

Works WITH both, when you install it the installer gives you the option to install a 9.3.1 plugin and a 9.5 (well 9.6) plugin.

How many buttons you see of xStream, you must have its OWN tab if you have followed the instructions on the xStream pdf and loaded the Vue7xStream_Menus.cfg (page 564).

David

flux71
01-27-2009, 11:14 AM
let me correct my previous statement to say.

the "vue xstream" and "vue sync" tabs show up in LW 9.5.

upon hitting "vue xstream" i get the vue options popup tab. if i hit new scene, i get an error ....

"Cannot load external plug-in file <C:\Program Files (86x) \NewTek\Lightwave 3D.

-------------------------

that's what i was getting before i updated with the 64bit latest build from E-On's site.

Now i have no Vue xStream plugins in the Lightwave's plugins folder.
After installing the latest 64bit build, they disappered???

Could someone send me the vue plugins for LW 9.5 64b and 32b?

What the heck just happened??

dballesg
01-27-2009, 12:04 PM
let me correct my previous statement to say.

the "vue xstream" and "vue sync" tabs show up in LW 9.5.

upon hitting "vue xstream" i get the vue options popup tab. if i hit new scene, i get an error ....

"Cannot load external plug-in file <C:\Program Files (86x) \NewTek\Lightwave 3D.

-------------------------

that's what i was getting before i updated with the 64bit latest build from E-On's site.

Now i have no Vue xStream plugins in the Lightwave's plugins folder.
After installing the latest 64bit build, they disappered???

Could someone send me the vue plugins for LW 9.5 64b and 32b?

What the heck just happened??

Um that is strange.

Vue7xStream.p plugins must be under you:

C:\Program Files (86x) \NewTek\Lightwave 3D\Plugins\Utility (32 bits)
and
C:\Program Files\NewTek\Lightwave 3D\Plugins\Utility (64 bits)

If they are not there I will suggest you to uninstall it and install it again.

Ah, and use the 9.6 version of LightWave as well.

David

flux71
01-27-2009, 02:18 PM
tried to reinstall vue 7 xstream. does not recognize 9.6 to add plugin. only 9.3 and 9.5.

what the deli??

flux71
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
ok so now when i hit the Vue xStream tab in the LW and get the popup vue options and hit "new scene" i get :

"Can't find Vue 6 xStream application folder."

ok so i never had Vue 6 xStream. only Vue 7 xStream.

can anyone relate to this???

dballesg
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
ok so now when i hit the Vue xStream tab in the LW and get the popup vue options and hit "new scene" i get :

"Can't find Vue 6 xStream application folder."

ok so i never had Vue 6 xStream. only Vue 7 xStream.

can anyone relate to this???

Well,

Now I am completly lost, I can't think why it is not working for you.

Because I have xStream 6 and xStream 7 installed on the same computer. And both working.

After you installed it, did you updated it to the latest e-on update? Vue 7 xStream 7.2 - Build 38524

That is the latest one. You can find it on your account in e-ons web site > Registered Product > Vue 7 xStream > Software Updates.

You can always try this:

1. Uninstall from the Vista programs and features section.
2. Delete the "C:Program Files\e-on software\Vue 7 xStream" folder.
3. Delete the "C:Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\e-on software" folder.
4. Delete the "C:Users\(username)\Documents\e-on software\Vue 7 xStream" folder.
5. Reinstall again.
6. And update it

David

flux71
01-28-2009, 07:44 AM
got a reply from e-on's tech with this response:

This was posted by our techs recently on the web site FAQ page - it may explain some of the problems you are having:

A possible cause is that you use the same LightWave configuration file for all your versions of LightWave. When you will add Vue 7 xStream plug-in to LightWave (through "Add Plugin" in the interface), LightWave will write the path to the plug-in in its configuration file. If all your versions of LightWave use the same configuration file, then all versions will try to use the same plug-in file, resulting in the error mentionned above.
If you're just double-clicking on the LightWave shortcut in the Start menu, or launching lightwav.exe file to start LightWave, you're actually not specifying a configuration file and all versions of Lightwave will use the same file.
In order to make sure different versions of LightWave use different configuration files, you have to create a shortcut to the lightwav.exe file, and add the following parameter: -c[PATH_TO_THE_CONFIG_FILE]

For instance, if you have LightWave 9.3 and LightWave 9.6 installed on Windows:

You should create a shortcut for LightWave 9.3, with the following command:
"c:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave 9.3\Programs\lightwav.exe" -cC:\Users\MyUserName\LWEXT93_32.CFG

You should create a shortcut for LightWave 9.6, with the following command:
"c:\Program Files\Newtek\LightWave 9.6\Programs\lightwav.exe" -cC:\Users\MyUserName\LWEXT96_32.CFG

-----------------------

am a little confused about how to make these commands in vista?? do i need to type them in a specific "run" window or right click the program file for each LW and do it that way?????

dballesg
01-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi,

I see, I didn't thought of that. I am so used to redirect all my LW configs.

You do that creating shortcuts to Layout and Modeler on your Desktop for example, and them modify them. Right Click > Properties.

You add the -c[DirWhereYouWantTheConfigFiles] at the end on the Target text box on the shortcut properties window.

For example I have installed LW 96 on C:\LW_96_32. Inside of that directory I created a Config subdirectory. I created then shortcuts for Layout and Modeler on my Desktop.

So on the Layout shortcut I put a "C:\LW_96_32\Programs\lightwav.exe" -cC:\LW_96_32\Config

And for the Modeler Shortcut

"C:\LW_96_32\Programs\modeler.exe" -cC:\LW_96_32\Config

I specify the directory for the shortcuts, you do not need to specify the name of the .cfg file

Hope this helps.

David

flux71
01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
ok. so it turns out the documentation for installing the vue 7 xStream plugin has completely changed.

see your vue manual pdf in the vue directory. page 564 gives all you need to run it with LW 9.5 and 9.6.

totally changed from what we all were doing before.

the e-on tech support gets credit for this. they sent it along. just took a few rounds to figure out the main issue ;)

flux71
01-28-2009, 07:53 PM
alright, so everything is running ;) Vue 7xstream and LW 9.6

i was using asile efx dvd vue 6xstream and lightwave integration to understand best way to render, but it seems Vue 7 xStream has changed completely on how it works with renders.

totally confused as to which application is handling what in camera and render options.

getting super slow renders upon opening an infinate terrain in LW 9.6 and rendering 1280x720 at preview quality.

are there any resources out there that explain the best way to configure the render settings for optimized rendering??

Phil
02-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Hmm. Care to share that knowledge? Vue 7 PLE is giving me the same grief on Mac here.

flux71
02-26-2009, 09:38 AM
phil,

i am on pc so it's totally different. they do however bury a .pdf in the e-on folder that has install instructions for mac and pc for vue 7.

Morba
07-08-2009, 11:18 AM
On a vista 32 machine Quad Core I can run LW9.6 and Vue 7.2 Xstream. I get a LW plugin version error. I have check the config files. I have mapped LW short cuts to include the location of the .cfg and just the folders. the vuexstream plugin is in the Lw utilities folder. I have run LW as an admin and not. Uninstalled/ reinstalled Vue and LW. What gives?

Andyjaggy
07-08-2009, 11:32 AM
I see that E-on has continued to deceive customers into thinking they can use Vue inside of LW. That's a shame.

Morba
07-10-2009, 02:27 PM
The problem is with Vista. An installation of LW 9.6 and Vue 7.2 xstream on a XP laptop the integration works. No config mapping or anything out of the ordinary to get the two software packages to communicate with eachother.

I'm sorry I ever bought Vista.

NNBrothers3D
07-30-2010, 02:17 AM
In additional plugin section I am getting
Vue7xStream_Cmd100
Vue7xStream_Cmd101
Vue7xStream_Cmd102
Vue7xStream_Cmd103
......and so on

And when I click on them then they works fine....but the problem is every no represent a command as load scene from vue,save scene,load objects....
But it is hard to get the idea of actions from no.
PLEASE HELP.

3dworks
07-30-2010, 02:27 AM
just follow the the plugin installation instructions in the manual... you have to open 'configure menus' in layout, locate the corresponding menu branches on your vue installation cd/folder and import them...

ben martin
08-01-2010, 08:12 AM
I see that E-on has continued to deceive customers into thinking they can use Vue inside of LW. That's a shame.

Hi Andy,

Well, in fact you can... not at the same level you can with MAX, Maya or C4D, but you can and it works, if one understands the workflow correctly.

By the way, I like Lightwave but I'm sure that the problem is not Vue xStream but Lightwave.
Even SmithMicro (PoserPro), FBX or collada are always not working 100% for Lightwave like they use to work for other packages.
It must be a sign, don't you agree?

By now, everyone realized that Lightwave is... huh... peculiar (to say the least) about the way it communicates with other 3rd party software.

Cheers.