PDA

View Full Version : Just got LW... i'm worried

core
08-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Well i just got LW, and i'm waiting for my hardware lock lo be sent to me... at the moment i'm running in 'discovery mode' which is fine... but the hub isnt noticiing layout nor modeller.

Guess what i'm on OS X, i bet that has something to do with it.

So niether layout and modeller are syncing.

Also i'm using usboverdrive with my with my logitech mouse. but rightclick and middleclick seem to do the same thing... i thought MMB popped up a menu, and RMB did something else..

PLEASE HELP

thanks dudes

..oh and i installed the mac os x 'sentinal' drivers, and system profile recognises the 'token'

mlinde
08-02-2003, 08:35 AM
Actually, most of your problems are related to the "Discovery" edition. In my experience the lack of a hardware key means Lightwave will not store or access cutomized preferences.

Keep that in mind until you get your hardware key and license, that changes to the configuration, plug-ins, or other functions will not stick.

As for your USB Overdrive, I don't know. However the Logitech USB drivers have a Middle-Mouse-Click (from what has been told here) and that works, so you may want to install the logitech drivers on your system. I had them on a system at my last job, and they worked well (as a preference pane).

Gui Lo
08-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Hi Core,
Unless they have changed things dramatically I think you should have got a hardware key/dongle in the Lightwave package. Has iut been renamed 'Token"?

Once the software is installed it detects the dongle(Token?) and issues a tempory acces key.

This allows you to use the full functionality of Lightwave and not be stuck with in the 'discovery mode' for a couple of weeks.

Once registered they send a perminent key through email.

Can someone please clarify.

Gui Lo

core
08-02-2003, 01:34 PM
sorry i've been explainging badly, i have my dongle and its installed and i'm waiting for my permanent key, but LW hasnt noticed the dongle and there is no temporary license key.

abit confused.

eblu
08-02-2003, 01:42 PM
usb overdrive.
try taking it out of the picture.

also the hub. Newteks official advice is to disable it. Its never been reliable on the mac.

core
08-02-2003, 02:48 PM
ok so usb overdrive is uninstalled, mac restarted still no dongle temp liocense that lightwave has initiated.

newtek suck for macs

and my 2nd screen is messing up.

what shall i do?

Dodgy
08-02-2003, 05:22 PM
Let's just be clear on this, I know NOTHING about macs, but on the pc you have to install the rainbow drivers before it pics up the 'token', so have you done that yet? Don't be so quick to judge dude :) Relax....

SilverDragon
08-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Hi! I too am experiencing this problem. To be more specific:

* I installed Lightwave 3D yesterday on my G3 Mac running OS X Jaguar. My installation is very clean; there is little third-party software installed, and my hardware is unspectacular.
* I have attached my dongle to my USB hub.
* When I launch either Modeler or Lightwave, I get an alert saying, "Your license key was not found. Contact NewTek to get a permanent license key..." So far, so good; this is what I understood would happen. I have registered my software online like a good girl, and expect my key shortly.
* The disappointing part is that when I clear this alert, I find that Hub has not launched, and there is no communication between Modeler and Lightwave.

For myself, I am taking the "Let's be patient and see what happens when the permanent key arrives" attitude. For the record-

There appear to be no "rainbow" drivers for the Mac. Nor is any "temporary" access key issued.

serpicolugnut
08-02-2003, 09:43 PM
I wouldn't worry about the hub not working in Discovery mode. I've been using LW under OS X since version 6.5, and although it's been a rocky ride, 7.5c is as rock solid as LW gets... much more so than the Windows version (in my experience... and I use both).

The hub has been known to flake out from time to time (on both platforms), but I'd say it's moderately reliable.

As for the sentinel drivers under OS X... They are installed during LWs installation. The file is a frameworks file called eve3.framework, located in the system/library/frameworks folder.

Jean-Paul Lar.
08-02-2003, 09:57 PM
also make sure there is a license file in
lightwave/programs and make sure its not a rich text file but a plain text file i had that problem when i first installed lightwave 7.5 and it sound similar make sure its just called license also....hope this helps

Karl Hansson
08-03-2003, 01:26 AM
Also open the "modeler cmdline" and "layout cmdline" in text edit. There shouldn't be any text in those files. If it says "-0" or something like that (I don't remember exactly what it says) that means that the communication between modeler and layout has been disabled. So delete the "-0" (or what ever it says) from those files and I think the HUB connection will start to work. Also make a copy of the cmdline files before you edit them so you will be able to restore them easily if somthing unexpected would happen.

core
08-03-2003, 05:02 AM
both those files are already empty...

i installed the rainbow drivers after the lw installation frm the seperate installer on the disc.

shall i wipe evrything and start again?

Karl Hansson
08-03-2003, 05:23 AM
Have you tried to run LW without the dongle. If LW can find the dongle it should display the following message:

The hardware lock was not found.
Contact NewTek to get a permanent license key(www.newtek.com).
Running in DEMO mode.

If you try to run LW without the License Key (the code that you get when you have registered [not the dongle]) you'll get the following message:

Your license key was not found.
Contact Newtek to get a permanent license key (Product Lock: 12345).
Running in DEMO mode.

If its the second message you get there is nothing wrong with the dongle you just need to register to get the unlockcode.

Karl Hansson
08-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Also I tried removing my Software Key (LICENSE.KEY) from the programs folder and then start LW. The hub doesn't seem to start in demo mode. So I guess that once you've got the Key you will be able to run the hub.

core
08-03-2003, 07:05 AM
ok thanks karl, i feel much more relaxed now..

i am right in sending off the number that comes up (product lock):

Your license key was not found.
Contact Newtek to get a permanent license key (Product Lock: 12345).
Running in DEMO mode

to the registration thing yeah?

i did it via email form, how long do you think?

Karl Hansson
08-03-2003, 07:44 AM
<<<i am right in sending off the number that comes up (product lock): >>>

Yes you have to send the product lock to Newtek. The product lock is actually the identification number of your dongle. So you se, if you have a product lock number your dongle is working fine. Also I think that you need to send the serialnumber as well. You'll find the serial number on the LW box or on the tag thats on your dongle.

You'll probably get the license key some time during the next working day.

core
08-03-2003, 08:07 AM
:D ok thanks dude

now i gotta start finding some good tutorials for beginners...

/core looks around

SilverDragon
08-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Thanks folks; I'm reassured, too. For tutorials, /core, the folks at the NewTek SIGGRAPH booth reccomended Timothy Allbee's book. "Essential Lightwave 3D." I've got this and was working through it slowly when I ran into the "no Hub" discrepancy. It seems to be a really good intro, if you like paper-type books. :D

Gui Lo
08-03-2003, 11:27 AM
So no temp key on Macs?
Ouch!

core
08-04-2003, 03:24 AM
ah u have to install the drivers and plugin the dongle before you install!, then u get the 14 day thing!

hehe

Sean Martin
08-04-2003, 09:37 AM
The Hub will not run in discovery mode you need your permanet license key from Newtek before it becomes active which should be emailed to you in a few days back up a copy of it then stick in in your programs folder within lightwave. I have never had any problems with it under OSX.

Gui Lo
08-05-2003, 12:58 AM
Hi Core,
So you are now fully enjoying lightwave?

Brilliant.

core
08-05-2003, 02:53 AM
yeah... i'm not really sure what to do until i get the Essential Lightwave book.

i made a dino with magic bevel ....

Gui Lo
08-05-2003, 04:36 AM
How about some Tutorials from this very site?

I think modellings ones especially are very good.

I remember my first try was very basic shapes and shadows.

Anyway have a great time.

Gui Lo