PDA

View Full Version : New Blender development curiosity (again)

ben martin
09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Ok guys, before you all start to fight over it, this time I'm posting this specially to the ones that can't understand / don't like Blender UI.
There are hope... maybe we can see Blender and Lightwave forming kick @ss pipe-lines very soon... I'm already doing that in my studio.

Extracted from: http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/changes-since-247/

---------------------
Plans for Blender 2.50

There are still many projects in the roadmap, like recode of core event structure (how clicks, motion and key presses are handled) and creation of an uniform API for access to tools (hot keys, buttons, menus, ...) Result of that work should enable, for example:

- Customizable key maps
- Macros
- Construction history
- (Custom) Toolbars, Pie menus, ...
- Better python UI integration, custom editors

There is also design work required for:

- where are we putting tools in UI (toolbars, extending the headers for tools? vertical headers?)
- refresh and redesign of button panels
- icon redesign
- file browser refresh

Other projects for 2.5x versions that have been mentioned or maybe are even being developed (mostly via separate branches in SVN):

- add canvas and/or 'region of interest or tile optimizer' in composite
- node refactor -> plugin api (bob)
- render export api (aqsis, yafray, prman, povray, mental ray...) [GSOC] :eek:
- rigid body construction set (tools oriented)

BlueApple
09-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Ben,

That's a good read, thanks for posting. Blender offers a good set of tools at a reasonable price. If there are any studios that have a gap in their pipeline that Blender can fill, they are crazy not to add it to their toolset.

LazyCoder
09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Ben,

That's a good read, thanks for posting. Blender offers a good set of tools at a reasonable price. If there are any studios that have a gap in their pipeline that Blender can fill, they are crazy not to add it to their toolset.

lol, yea...

Personally, I love Blender. Once you get used to the admittedly weird hotkeys, things go super fast! I use Lightwave for it's volumetrics mostly (Dynamite fluids and Hypervoxels ftw!)

mrunion
09-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Ton and the others are meeting Tuesday to talk about 2.5 specifically. 2.48 is scheduled for 10/1 at the moment. As far as I understand it, the 2.5 release will be geared (among other things) to providing a different event framework, etc. "under the hood" which will allow for different UI setup, etc.

Anyway, that's what I know at the moment.

beverins
09-24-2008, 11:53 AM
I think that Blender should be reworked to be SKINNABLE to emulate other programs and "zones of comfort". Granted, there will be areas where emulation isn't possible, but Blender definetely needs a UI rethink...

... and what better way to rethink the UI then not to bother at all and let the user have full control over it?

DiedonD
09-25-2008, 02:26 PM
... Blender offers a good set of tools at a reasonable price...

What?! You pay for Blender nowadays? Or do you mean by "price" the torture of UI?

BlueApple
09-25-2008, 02:43 PM
What?! You pay for Blender nowadays? Or do you mean by "price" the torture of UI?

By "price" I meant $0 as compared to software that costs > $0.

Like many others, I am not a huge fan of the current UI. But for the one or two things I've ever used it for (sculpting, fluid simulation or file format converter,) it gets the job done without too many headaches.

Bliz
11-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Yep. Blender is a great app. I just wish they'd put a physically correct renderer in there.

dballesg
11-19-2008, 06:40 PM
Yep. Blender is a great app. I just wish they'd put a physically correct renderer in there.

Why not use the Indigo Renderer with the Blendigo exporter?

David

Bliz
11-29-2008, 02:46 PM
dballseg - Good point, I suppose what I was trying to say was that Blender lacks a renderer that's as production ready as LW, Mental Ray or Mantra.

Indigo seems 'awesome' for stills but it has no motion blur. It's not practical to render animation with it. Blender's internal renderer is great for cartoony - pixary sort of stuff but it 'seems' to be an uphill struggle to get realistic looking animation out of it.

Blender3D is evolving faster than the commercial apps so we'll have to see what the future holds. I'm keeping a very close eye on it.:)

Captain Obvious
11-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Indigo seems 'awesome' for stills but it has no motion blur. It's not practical to render animation with it. Blender's internal renderer is great for cartoony - pixary sort of stuff but it 'seems' to be an uphill struggle to get realistic looking animation out of it.
While I'm not really arguing your basic point, I don't understand why you put "cartoony" and "pixary" in the same sentence without some sort of negation inbetween. Pixar's stuff is anything but cartoony. I would argue that "cartoony" means simplified shapes and shading, and while Pixar's character design is decidedly cartoony, their actual 3D renderings aren't. They often feature a great degree of complexity, and I would argue that the environments in Pixar's films have a closer relationship to impressionism than to cell shading.

How does any of this matter? Well, Pixar's "cartoony" style is down to the character design and modeling, rather than the renderer they use... If it weren't for performance limitations, I could easily see Pixar rendering a whole feature in Maxwell or what have you and still produce their usual "cartoony" style. It's important to remember that the look of a certain production is usually more a product of the artists than the tools, and it's even more important to remember that while a certain renderer can sometimes produce a typical "look," the look of the final product is as much a product of modeling and texturing, things that are not, as such, dependant on the rendering engine.

cresshead
11-29-2008, 05:04 PM
also blender users now have the opportunity to render their scenes for free on a 256 cpu AMD
powered grid..ohh err!

https://rendering-portal.cpc.wmin.ac.uk/gridsphere/gridsphere

Captain Obvious
11-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Yeah, but that's 256 CPUs divided up between, how many people?

Nicolas Jordan
11-29-2008, 09:30 PM
I am just getting into Blender myself. It's a bit hard to pick up at first after using Lightwave almost exclusively for 8 years but I don't find it as hard to learn as some say it is. I was surprised to learn I could paint on a 3d object in Blender similar to modo. So far I am very impressed with it and I think it will compliment Lightwave very nicely. :)

geothefaust
11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
Me too, when I've used Blender of the years, it's generally sucked or I just didn't "get" the interface. But the last month I've been messing around with it, and I've only had a few weird things happen with it. I don't like the hotkey situation, but it comes pretty quickly once I learn how it functions. All around, it's actually pretty neat...

I am looking forward to when they finish up with the new UI.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, it seems pretty competitive with LW in a lot of areas, especially the history stack and sculpting abilities.