PDA

View Full Version : P4 XEON 2.4 cooling question

tawolf
02-23-2003, 11:02 PM
Hello;

I have recently started to build a workstation for my soon to arrive VT2. I ordered a dual xeon MB from TYAN. When I opened the boxed XEONs I was surprised to find only a large copper passive heatsink. (I am used to the AMD 2000mp+ with its large sink and fan system.) I checked around at intel and did not find a requirement to add extra cpu fans. However there are sever third party products available.

I am going to be using a very large case with up to six chassis
fans and add a couple more for good measure.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with cooling a XEON cpu and what you did or did not do.

Thanks in advance

Ted Wolf

scott w. keller
02-24-2003, 06:55 AM
Ted,

I used a SuperMicro P4DCE+ that had heat sinks and fans included with the board. I found the intel ones that came with the chips would not work on the board not enough room. That leads me to believe SuperMicro thinks they are a good idea.

IMHO, Heat is a real enemy, I put fans on all my HD's, Processors, 2 in case (original) plus two extras in case. Bottom line as cheap as fans are why not put as many as you can if you have the power to run them.

tawolf
02-24-2003, 09:03 AM
Hi Scott:

Thanks for the reply, I haven't seen my Tyan MD yet (back ordered) but I have seen a page on Super micro's cooling system, so when I get my mb and find I have room I will add the super miro recommended parts.

I think for my raid i will add disc caddies with fans for cooling, what about ram? I have seen several cooling sytems available.
I have 2gig in 4 slots.

Ted

PIZAZZ
02-24-2003, 09:34 AM
The Tyan motherboard is not a tried and true motherboard for the Toaster.

If at all possible get a Supermicro. We beta tested the Tyan boards as have a few other Toaster dealers and the performance is not near as good as the Supermicro P4DC6+ or P4DCE boards.

Save yourself some real grief and go Supermicro.

This is coming from an authorized Newtek dealer BTW.

Sorry for the bad news.

scott w. keller
02-24-2003, 10:20 AM
Ted,

I have 1 Gig of Kinston Rambus and seems to do all I want. No dedicated fans for the RAM, but I have alot of air moving through it.

I found the adatec raid controller to be the answer for me. I had another brand (DPT) that was terrible and had to scrap it.

I must agree that SuperMicro seems to be the tested board of choice and NVidia AGP cards with the latest downloaded drivers will save you a lot of hassle.

Scott

Ryan
02-24-2003, 03:51 PM
I recently built a dual Xeon that goes somthing like this

Dual Xeon 2.4
SuperMicro intel 860 MB
4x maxtor 200gb HDD
1.5 GB PC800
GeForce4 Ti4200
Dual 21inch Flat Trinitrons
80gb System Disk
etc...

We often record live video from the same room so ambiant noise is a big deal. So i out alot of research in building something quite and cool.

These are the CPU fans that I use are Zalman CNPS 5100's. They are SILENT and keep my CPU's below 120F at thier slowest setting. Here is a link.

http://www.maxcooler.com/zalcnps5001c.html

Most Xeon Fans sound awful, I did some comparisons. Quite Xeon fans are nearly non-existant. These are one of a kind.

The next step i took was one thats a bit shady. I used an Antech Case with the TruePower 430W power supply. It has power connectors for the case fans that are speed regulated by the tempature of the case. VERY VERY NICE. The catch is that that power supply dosnt have an 8 pin 12v powersupply cable. (Required for Xeons) so i just pluged the 4 pin 12v in the 8 pin slot and it works fine. (the 4 pin is for agp-pro which i dont use.) The second catch is that i had to bend the rail for the HDD rack out of the way of the 1st CPU on the mother board. Rendering both hard drive racks useless. So I have my 4 disk raid just resting in a lose mount at the bottom of my case. My system disk is in one of the 5 inch bays.

I did alot of research before building this system and it payed off. If you walk in the room you can barley tell if the computer is off or on. The noisiest component in my system is my GeForece4 videocard fan. (I would go with a low end quatro next time since they dont use fans.) 5 case fans 2 CPU fans and a video card fan and you can barley hear it. Cool and quite.

Hope that was helpful

Ryan Brady

tawolf
02-25-2003, 12:05 AM
Help-- More opinions Please!!!

Pizazz has been kind enuff to give me some info on possible problems with the TYAN MB I am about to receive for my New Toaster Workstation.

Can I get a little more feedback on the TYAN i7205 S2665 motherboard. I selected it because of the 533 fsb and 8x agp having also ordered an nvidea quatro 4 8x agp card. It may be to late to cancel please advise.
Ted

mdwainwright
04-01-2004, 12:49 PM
Firstly for the best cooling options, get yourself some good THERMAL PASTE i highly recomend some AS5 paste.

Also for XEON heatsinks try this. Akasa AK680CU it cools better than the stock ones that come with the XEONs and also they are half as noisy!