PDA

View Full Version : Doomschip Web Series (Made from tuts)

adaminator1
09-22-2008, 04:26 PM
Well, i've decided to make a web series with Lightwave3D. I was just wondering where to post it, because i didnt see a section for videos! Anyway, this is an ameture peice of work, and everything i know is form tutorials, and i was wondering if you guys could give me tips on how to improve :)

Doomschip S01E01 - The End of the Begining and the Begining of the End (Part One)
Pt 1 of 2 (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=AUvLzfSTZxQ)
Pt 2 of 2 (http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=2JEMmZ_rgLY)

Interesting Fact on Episode One: I rendered the last scene first, as i thought it would only take 5 minutes to get up to that point in the story (Eps 1+2 were originaly supposed to be only 1) :)

Doomschip S01E02 The End of the Begining and the Begining of the End (Part Two)
Opening (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS-NXxHAaLY)

Interesting Episode Two Fact: The episode might be longer than the first one, but im only 5 minutes through rendering it :D

Phil
09-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Hmmm. A big problem in what I watched of pt1 of episode 1 is that the texturing and lighting are far from convincing. It puts me in mind of video games from the early days of 3D video cards.

- You need to understand how the lighting works to your advantage to sell objects as being real. Don't be afraid of shadows. The ships don't look metallised because they lack any specular highlights. If you have LW 9, try the conductor material node for quick and dirty metal surfacing. Some of the presets that ship with LW also give metallic looks without the use of slower rendering material nodes.

- Look more critically at your surfacing. It's very clear that the sun has a tiled texture over it. You can use procedurals to mask this, and these won't eat up your memory like a huge texture map will.

- The subtitles at the beginning are almost impossible to read because the text has the same colouration as the video playing under it. Consider using blacking behind the text to guarantee that the viewer can read it.

- Spellcheck is a good idea ;)

- There's something very odd going on with your relative scales. Either the ships are all utterly huge or you have a really, really small sun.

- Use ease-in and ease-out on your motion curves to avoid giving the viewer motion sickness. I had a mental case of whiplash as the camera hurtled around. Setting up the tension on your motion curves in the graph editor will alleviate this.

Turning to the story, I confess to being rather confused as to how a sword is going to help a space-faring people....

calilifestyle
09-24-2008, 03:54 PM
well i felt like i was watching the cut scenes from an old Sega/Nintendo game on part 1 of 2. if it wasn't for the music you used on 1of 2 may have not liked it.It gave the old school game feel. The text was hard to read, but i enjoyed it. As for 2 of 2 i couldn't sit and watch it . the music your started with kind of lost me. But keep it up looks promising.

Try Blip.tv or Vimeo.com for Video hosting sites.

adaminator1
09-26-2008, 02:11 AM
Okay, i get the thing about lighting (i got it when i was making the E02 opening), and as for the "cut scenes from an old Sega/Nintendo game on part 1 of 2" comment, i used the music from Final Fantasy VII :D

Also, at the "Turning to the story, I confess to being rather confused as to how a sword is going to help a space-faring people..." comment, its a powerful sword, kind of like a lightsaber, but it increases the power of the mind along with the users physical strength.

And why couldn't you sit and watch part 2, calilifestyle??

Phil
09-26-2008, 04:53 AM
Watching the E02 opening, though, it's still overlit and lacking shadows. The surfacing also needs work - for physically hard-edge surfaces, turning off smoothing, and (it could be the YouTube compression), I'm still not convinced that the ship is metallic. For space lighting, some good examples can be seen in any of the pre-season 4 Babylon 5 work, and BattleStar Galactica's miniseries/new series.

Could you perhaps post a few key screenshots here so that the effects of YouTube's compression on your work can be taken in account?

DiedonD
09-26-2008, 05:35 AM
Heres the "Balance Sheet" :hey:

Stuff seemed good to me:

Youve chosen the best way to learn using LW, and that is by involving yourself in a project such as this.

The more your project your stories like these the more of a movie maker youll feel. Technical issues will grow slowly as you go on like this.

Stuff seemed bad to me:

The characters seem uggly, strange and kinda silly to me. And they for me are the core of any given movie.

You couldve used voices. You couldve recorded yourself and apply it in various patches, thus appearing like they are speaking.

The sword story is an overdue I think. Especially the lightsabber or whatever. And I think that the ship holding a sword combination doesnt works. Seems so rigid. Swords are wielded and it remaining stationary like that kinda, makes it too immobile.

I kinda imagined that the stranger would breath like darth vader in Star Wars. Its done before again.

And all stars and planets are textured in a way that its shperical mapping is clearly visible, and your not attempting to hide them neither.

SFX Wouldve elavated the movie a bit. Add this to the character voices section.

And regarding the background, Im no expert. But even I noticed that it doesnt looks like metal ships in there.

But I especially didnt like the characters. Two froggy eyes above a box, capable of twisting seemed like a limiatation to express your real character, than a brand new design to characters.

Diedon

DiedonD
09-26-2008, 05:46 AM
And now that I read what I wrote, I recalled of a kitten that use to hang around my garden. It had a birth defect, and it behind legs were inside the kittens skin, and though it had em, he could walk, cause his behind would drag on the ground, leaving scratches. It could move its legs that were inside the skin, but wasnt capable of stretching them wide for a walk. Its behind legs were blocked inside the kittens own skin.

Thats how your characters not having limbs seemed to me.

adaminator1
09-26-2008, 03:48 PM
When i made episode 01, I didn't know how to use bones. But now...

Bones in this scene were the wrong way around:
http://i37.tinypic.com/24zgmfb.jpg

Just right (?):
http://i36.tinypic.com/121fvdg.jpg

Abducted:
http://i35.tinypic.com/xf4zn6.jpg

Battle Ship Pics:

http://i34.tinypic.com/f74zm.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/2cpxo2t.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/1y5xqq.jpg
http://i34.tinypic.com/2mre8gl.jpg

Could anyone give me some good tips on how to do a star background without it stretching?

Phil
09-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Hmmm. The surfacing is really problematic here. I'm not sure if this is the look you are going for, but if you are shooting for realistic, spend some time over at :

http://www.presetcentral.com

and play around with the metallic presets. They will get you a lot closer to where you need to be.

The texture issues that are quite visible seem to come from you applying a texture at a much larger size than your object, with cubic mapping or similar. A much better approach is to reduce the texture size so that it appears as tiliing, however then use procedurals to mask that tiling by applying multiple layers at different sizes and opacities in the layer interface (or in Nodal if you are running 9.x).

For stars, there used to be a randomstars object provided with the LW content. I've attached it for you. You can use this in various ways to provide stars in your scenes. You would do well to have multiple copies loaded in Layout and apply random rotation to them to jumble them up in HPB, as well as adjusting the point size for some of them (under object properties/render)

You can colourise them by adding a noise texture to the colour channel in the star object's surface(s).

blacksmith
09-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi Adam,
good ol' trick to making stars is to use Random points Tool in Modeler (Create->Points->Random Points. Make, lets say, 1000 points, choose spherical and there you go. Instant stars. To be able to render them in Layout click Points to Polys in Polygon menu. Give them surface with high luminosity, throw some glow on them and that's it. You may want to create several layers with more and less luminent.

Okay, about your episodes.
It is obvious that you are total beginner, but honestly you did better than some more experienced users I've seen around.
YOU TOLD THE STORY! That is single most important thing in any movie. Crappy production doesn't get in the way here. It looks like old video games, but your futuristic sort of eighties video console story plot justifies it.

I don't mind your characters being yellow boxes with eyes. Actually, they are amusing. They stick out (literary :D ) and fit in at the same time.

Don't worry about technical stuff. From what I see, you are a fast learner. If you did 15 mins of video from what you learned from tutorials, I'd be more than happy to see your work in a year or sooner!

Just keep up and I know you'll do good someday (soon!)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

adaminator1
09-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Thanks, blacksmith :) (BTW, how do i use the glow function?

And Phil, thanks for all your comments :) I'll be sure to take a look at the site. Also, how do you use presets?

EDIT: Episode 2 coming soon. I'm about halfway through making it. I started at the beginning of this month, but i didn't animate all the time, but still, would you like me to upload an uncompleted version of it so you guys could look at it? It's about 8 minutes long., and i'll use a filehost like Rapidshare or Megaupload :)

blacksmith
09-27-2008, 05:16 AM

No problems mate.
In Surface Editor under Advanced tab you have Glow Intensity you activate and control intensity per surface and under Image Processing you need to activate Enable Glow and choose global intensity and radius of glow.

Best of luck!

Phil
09-27-2008, 06:51 AM

And Phil, thanks for all your comments :) I'll be sure to take a look at the site. Also, how do you use presets?

Presets are, well, presets for different parts of LW. If you open up, say, the surface editor, you can use the presets window button to bring up the presets window and at the top of that window, you will see a category name. Clicking on that will display the various categories available to you.

Presets themselves are located in the LightWave Programs\Presets folder, under subfolders for type. You have to manually install 3rd party presets, which is a bit awkward and, surprisingly, there isn't an FAQ for this. The procedure is similar, but slightly different, depending on what type of preset you are working with.

Let's take a surface preset for example. You need to copy/move the preset file (.pst) into a new or existing category folder under the Surface Editor\Surface Preset. Existing categories are :

Cel Generic Nature Space WorkSpace
Colors Glass Organic Strange
Fabric Metal Rock Textures

You can create your own presets from within LW as well - usually by pressing 's' with the surface editor/hypervoxels/whatever window open. The catch is that not everything in LW supports presets.

If you come across a .srf file, that's not a preset in the same sense. It's a surface definition. You can use that with 'load surface' to load the surface information in to the current surface in the surface editor. The .srf files used to be the only way to easily share surface information, but you cannot preview them the same way as the .pst files.

adaminator1
09-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all of your help guys! Episode 02 should be coming soon. Ive only got another 6-7 minutes left to animate, and im upgrading my GFX card from the ATi Radeon 9200 128MB AGP to the ATi Radeon X3650 512MB AGP :):D:D:D

blacksmith
09-30-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all of your help guys! Episode 02 should be coming soon. Ive only got another 6-7 minutes left to animate, and im upgrading my GFX card from the ATi Radeon 9200 128MB AGP to the ATi Radeon X3650 512MB AGP :):D:D:D

No problems mate :thumbsup:

Keep on working!

jaxtone
09-30-2008, 04:39 AM
adaminator1!

I must say that you really burn for your mission... that´s great!

If all the things you wanna do is not professional yet I believe you´re gonna find a way to explore Lightwave and increase your value on the road to perfection just because you´re listening to the input. It´s a long road but a damn funny road, and you know what, you just toke your first steps.

Salute!

adaminator1
10-02-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys :D

Just another 5 minutes to render for Episode 2 to finish... :D:D:D