PDA

View Full Version : Collisions...

adaminator1
09-22-2008, 04:15 PM
Hey all, i'm messing around with the particleFX and hardFX and CollisionFX< and was wondering how to make it so that if an object is hit with a particle, it breaks/is pushed in the opposite direction? Thanks in advance :)

fgreen
09-23-2008, 11:29 AM
I haven't tried this in LW, so am basing this advice on similar setups in RealFlow.

Generally, you would set your particle interaction type to "push". Also it may help to boost the particle weight, so they exert more force when hitting an object, as they are very light by default.

Also, I would guess that the object to be pushed should have HardFX assigned, with the impact effect set to force or maybe roll. Be sure to hit the calculate button, to actually compute the dynamics.

prometheus
09-24-2008, 09:30 AM
correct me if Im wrong, but I donīt think you can break or push lets say a wall of bricks by using a particle emitter, the particles collision cant be recorded as rec collision points in cloth fx..and they have no effect on hard fx unfortunatly.

You can get away by using a cloth fx and set a high substructure, then you can use rec collision and the bricks would be push away, but then you wouldnīt have all the fancy spin,roll effects that is available in hardfx.
and it really should be working with hard fx.

I would be happy if Im wrong.

fgreen
09-24-2008, 10:00 AM
You are probably right. If I wasn't so busy right now I'd try a test in LW to see for sure. If there are only a few particles (or one, as mentioned by adaminator1 ) then wouldn't it work to create small spheres with HardFX applied to both projectiles and targets? If you didn't want to keyframe the projectile, then maybe a strong gravity could be applied in the direction you want it to go.