PDA

View Full Version : My bones ache

badpineapple
09-22-2008, 01:01 PM
I'm newish to character anim, so bear with me. With my skeleton all in place, each bone answering to its own weight map, and no points or polys left behind, the entire model shifts when I activate bones.
That ain't right.

adamredwoods
09-22-2008, 05:49 PM
before you activate your bones, make sure to select them all, and hit "r" key.
This is to REST your bones and "bind" them to the mesh that surrounds them.

This is also the #1 problem people run into when using Lightwave bones, since you don't need to "skin" like in Maya or Max.

badpineapple
09-23-2008, 07:23 AM
Resting is the first thing I did. I deactivated and re-rested several times. Unfortunately, I can't (legally) show the entire rigged character. My issue is far greater than just shifting geometry. The torso is one solid object; the limbs are disconnected, but part of the same skeleton. The torso does not shift; just the limbs.
I'm gonna try splitting the model into two layers torso and limbs parenting one to the other (although I know that shouldn't be necessary).
Please don't tell me that I should start over!

adamredwoods
09-23-2008, 12:54 PM
You don't have to start over. You may have missed a bone to rest. Happens to me often.

With all your bones active and rested, without any animation, if you click on the ENABLE DEFORM (to turn it on/off) does your limbs shift then as well?

badpineapple
09-23-2008, 02:50 PM
Yes. I have rested every bone individually several times. Disabling deform and then re-enabling it does not have the medicinal effect I had hoped for. And it's not just shifting as a unit. The feet (and only the feet) are actually stretching.
What if, hypothetically, the model was not constructed at zero, with the z-axis stabbing through its stomach? The first bone of the model wasn't started at zero, so none of the subsequent bones would have been either. He was built with his feet standing at y=0. I've seen it done both ways, so I didn't think it made a difference. Could it?

adamredwoods
09-23-2008, 04:56 PM
The torso is one solid object; the limbs are disconnected, but part of the same skeleton. The torso does not shift; just the limbs.

Oh. I re-read that part. perhaps other bones are affecting your limbs that should not be... so to clarify, the torso and limbs are in separate layers? but the skeleton is in one layer.

You may need to break out your limb bones to another layer, then assign via "USE BONES FROM". Keep them separate as arms, legs, body.

THEN assign the base bones' parents as a certain bone in the body. Arm bones parent to a torso bone, leg bones to a hip/waist bone.

Dem bones, Dem bones!

adamredwoods
09-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Other ideas:
- toggle WEIGHT MAP ONLY on bone properties.

- Get rid of weight maps.