PDA

View Full Version : A challenge for you...

virtualcomposer
09-22-2008, 09:04 AM
I have a project coming up that requires me to create a realistic ghost character. This is something that should extremely real. I'm going to use a slight hand-cam to hide any computer animation feel to it and also add to the reality feel. The problem is that I've never done anything like this before as far as ghost figures and didn't know if any of you have ever tried to create a real looking ghost in a house or land or if you had any tips and examples of your work. This is definitely new territory for me. I would like to see examples of your work and advice or if you don't have any examples, I'd be interested in seeing your first attempt at it.

Surrealist.
09-22-2008, 09:40 AM
A real ghost?

Do you have a picture of one? Good to go from references. :D

OK seriously, it is good to convey the idea of what look you want to achieve as far as a ghost is concerned. Is there a particular movie that had a ghost or effect that are looking for?

virtualcomposer
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm actually going for more of the camcorder type ghost. One that someone catches on accident or something that looks so real that even a video analyst would have a hard time disproving. A good example would be the one that Maury Povit (or however you spell it) show had. There was a guy who was filming behind a church and saw a ghost peep around the corner looking at him. As he went towards it, it moved behind the wall and when the guy came to the area of the ghost, it was gone. You can look it up on Youtube under "ghost adventures" and the clip, I believe is on there. That's the kind of realism I'm looking for. Not Casper type character stuff.

adamredwoods
09-22-2008, 11:02 AM
After Effects is your friend...

Surrealist.
09-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah I agree, or even an NLE you could do some things. I think they used a real human and a cut on that one. So what you are looking for is something that looks like a real human, maybe some extra white on the face. You could do that in LW maybe over even in post. The biggest challenge then is going to be the realistic look of the scene in LW or is that going to be video?I think the plus is going to be that you could have the "real" ghost/human sort of fuzzy or slightly out of focus and that might be easier in post. But also easier on the LW side of things.

Eye Bleed
09-23-2008, 02:24 AM
Did ghost hunters put you up to this. aw man I guess they finally got tired of chasing each others shadows;)

DiedonD
09-23-2008, 12:22 PM
If you could get a green board to key out you could achieve miracle ghosts with AE or any compositing app.

Just record an actor run on that green board.

Take a piece of the house and apply on that ghost actor after youve keyed out the green. track the motion and youll be on your good way to go.