PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10. Stop / Start / Continue.

starbase1
09-22-2008, 05:50 AM
Don't know if everyone is familiar with this approach, but sometimes it can be very useful to address change in terms of things to stop doing, things to start doing, and things that should be continued. (Continues are important, as it lets people know what not to break, and what is currently valued).

How about seeing what people thing are the most important aspect with this approach for LW 10?

Mine:

STOP

Adding an ever increasing number of options to the menus, the interface is way too cluttered. I suggest that no-one is allowed to add a button unless they consolidate away 2 elsewhere.
Skytracer (1 and 2) must die.

START

Including plenty of presets that demonstrate new features. It makes them very accessible, and makes a good 'Quick start' point.
Investigating a dongle solution with Linux support, so Lightwave can run under WINE.
Increasing polygon counts that will render. I see a lot of people over at F3D hitting the limits all the time.
Support bigger image maps out of the box.

CONTINUE

Encouraging Wiliam Vaughan to release his short training videos. They have done more for my ability to get stuff done than any code changes in the 9 series!
Putting significant new features in point releases, it keeps things exciting when you know new stuff will arrive soon.

Nick

sandman300
09-22-2008, 01:16 PM
STOP

* Adding an ever increasing number of options to the menus, the interface is way too cluttered. I suggest that no-one is allowed to add a button unless they consolidate away 2 elsewhere.

It is probably easier to have the clutter and then customize the interface to individual needs than to have Newtek hide things.

* Skytracer (1 and 2) must die.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

START

* Including plenty of presets that demonstrate new features. It makes them very accessible, and makes a good 'Quick start' point.

This is a great idea, especially for nodes. On the same note there should be nodes for particles.

* Increasing polygon counts that will render. I see a lot of people over at F3D hitting the limits all the time.
* Support bigger image maps out of the box.

I think this is based on the computer resources. They likely need more RAM. 64bit OS's expand the possibility of RAM beyond the 3GIG that XP could access.

I would like to see a more realistic particle system.

support for hardware like the spacenavigator.

CONTINUE

* Encouraging Wiliam Vaughan to release his short training videos. They have done more for my ability to get stuff done than any code changes in the 9 series!

I agree, Proton is a very good teacher. But beyond this lightwave needs better documentation. It would be nice to see training materials released at the same time as Lightwave and not 6 to 9 months after.

* Putting significant new features in point releases, it keeps things exciting when you know new stuff will arrive soon.

Hopefully those point releases will still be free. :thumbsup:

to be innovative for and responsive to the users. :beerchug: